A brewery for Beeston Castle

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Having recently added another siding to Beeston Castle station, I decided to use the original short siding for access to a brewery. After searching the net for a suitable prototype, I eventually decided to base mine on the Metcalfe 00 card kit (now no longer available), as it's fairly generic and I couldn't find a decent picture of a real brewery.
Metcalfe brewery.jpg

Because it's a bit of an awkward site, I initially made a mock-up from corrugated card to see how the model might fit.
IMG_8929.JPG

This gave me the courage to mark it out on to sheets of 5mm thick PVC foamboard, my preferred building material thanks to Mike of this parish.
IMG_8940.JPG

And then the fun began. Scribing the bricks. I decided to go for stretcher bond as this was the easiest to mark out - but I reckon there are somewhere in the region of 2-3000 bricks on the finished structure.
IMG_8952.JPG

It is quite therapeutic, provided there's something interesting to listen to on the radio. Anyway, now finished all the scribing and the structure is taking shape.
IMG_9008.JPG

IMG_9010.JPG

I am in the process of adding slates to the roofs. The canopy and lucams are done (but need detailing), but I'll add those once I've painted the brickwork. Looks like the rain / snow has stopped so might be able to get the primer coat on today.

Rik

Reactions: 5 users

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
That's got something of a Harry Potter look about it Rik. I quite fancy a Hogwart's in the corner of my garden.

Reactions: 1 user

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
Excuse my ignorance, but what are 'lucams'? The sticky-outy bits?

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Excuse my ignorance, but what are 'lucams'? The sticky-outy bits?
(Noun) A structure in the roof of a mill that projects out from the building to allow the hoist to winch up sacks clear of the mill and give protection from the weather.

Reactions: 1 users

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Looks very impressive already, and I now know what a lucam is too.

Reactions: 1 users

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
(Noun) A structure in the roof of a mill that projects out from the building to allow the hoist to winch up sacks clear of the mill and give protection from the weather.
Thanks. Couldn't have put it better myself.

Rik

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Having recently added another siding to Beeston Castle station, I decided to use the original short siding for access to a brewery. After searching the net for a suitable prototype, I eventually decided to base mine on the Metcalfe 00 card kit (now no longer available), as it's fairly generic and I couldn't find a decent picture of a real brewery.
View attachment 247751

Because it's a bit of an awkward site, I initially made a mock-up from corrugated card to see how the model might fit.
View attachment 247752

This gave me the courage to mark it out on to sheets of 5mm thick PVC foamboard, my preferred building material thanks to Mike of this parish.
View attachment 247754

And then the fun began. Scribing the bricks. I decided to go for stretcher bond as this was the easiest to mark out - but I reckon there are somewhere in the region of 2-3000 bricks on the finished structure.
View attachment 247764

It is quite therapeutic, provided there's something interesting to listen to on the radio. Anyway, now finished all the scribing and the structure is taking shape.
View attachment 247765

View attachment 247766

I am in the process of adding slates to the roofs. The canopy and lucams are done (but need detailing), but I'll add those once I've painted the brickwork. Looks like the rain / snow has stopped so might be able to get the primer coat on today.

Rik

Looking Good Rik. I reckon your estimate for bricks is a touch out, I've just finished working out for a full size single garage and there are 7000ish in that. Take the hyphen out you'll be closer! :giggle:

Last edited:

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Looking Good Rik. I reckon your estimate for bricks is a touch out, I've just finished working out for a ful size single garage and there are 7000ish in that. Take the hyphen out you'll be closer! :giggle:
You're quite right. I'd forgotten that it was the calculation for just one section. Just re-calculated and it comes to just under 8000. There's no back to the building otherwise it would be around twice that number. I think my bricks are slightly larger than the real thing.

Rik

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
You're quite right. I'd forgotten that it was the calculation for just one section. Just re-calculated and it comes to just under 8000. There's no back to the building otherwise it would be around twice that number. I think my bricks are slightly larger than the real thing.

Rik

It'd be good if someone produced foam-board with the bricks (or stones for that matter) already printed on! :eek:

On second thoughts, it might put Mike out of a job! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It'd be good if someone produced foam-board with the bricks (or stones for that matter) already printed on! :eek:

Need a second look at Mike's latest.. - It looks like he might have found an embossed sheet for the back of a building? - Or a trick of the light /my eyes! :nerd:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag

They probably do.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I think it's Fantastic,

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 247751

View attachment 247752

View attachment 247754

View attachment 247764

View attachment 247765

View attachment 247766

Rik
Rik, looking at the original Metcalfe Kit I do not see a High Level Water Storage in your build unless the Square High part in the pics will have it. Quite an important element of the product! Nice start to what I am sure will be a good traffic generator / receiver on your line.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Rik, looking at the original Metcalfe Kit I do not see a High Level Water Storage in your build unless the Square High part in the pics will have it. Quite an important element of the product! Nice start to what I am sure will be a good traffic generator / receiver on your line.
Hi Jon
I think mine might be off-scene. When I position it, there might be a bit of space at the back of the right hand roof for a glimpse of the tank.
Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Made a bit more progress with the brewery. Slow but steady on this one - there are a heck of a lot of bricks and I ended up painting most of them individually after a cock-up with my dry-brushing. Anyway, still a bit more work needed (painting the canopy, ridge tiles, doors, windows, barge boards, guttering and a bit of fine detailing), but she's beginning to look the part.

I've got bespoke 3D printed windows on order from this chap - 8 off Factory window frames.3D printed 22 mm x 38 mm,Others available to order. | eBay

£1 each, plus £4 for setting up the printer for my dimensions. Seems like good value to me.

Will let you know what they are like when they arrive.

Rik

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I do like that canopy! :)
:clap::clap::clap:

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Well, it's taken a fair while, but at last I am nearly there!

IMG_9178.JPG

Lettering courtesy of 'The Works' - £1.50 a pack of laser cut ply letters (2 complete alphabets per pack)

IMG_9179.JPG

Windows, doors, guttering and downspouts now in place (the downspouts were a bit of a mare).

IMG_9172.JPG

And now test-fitted in its location at Beeston Castle station.

IMG_9174.JPG

Had to cut back the hedge a fair bit and also prune the model a bit to make it fit.

IMG_9176.JPG

Need to bed it in properly with a concrete plinth and the track will need to be realigned slightly. Inevitably, there are a few more detailing and touching-up jobs required, but it's more or less complete.

Phew!

Rik

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent build, Rik! :clap::clap:

Tell me, will it fit in a 750mm square footprint?
And,
Will it be going to Nottingham? :think:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Fantastic build. Blends in brilliantly.