phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
A couple of years ago I bought some E5 base led bulbs off Ebay looking to use them as replacements for 18V LGB incandescent bulbs. Unfortunately, they did not work well in the typical LGB sockets . It was very difficult to screw them in tight enough. The bulbs bottomed out in the socket before the center electrode made a good contact. Earlier this month after searching bulb suppliers on the internet I found and bought some from www.ledlight.com that work much better. The bulb style number is 24577. They're available rated for 6, 12, and 24 Volts DC and 3000ºK (warm white) or 6000ºK (daylight) color temperature. I ordered the 24V warm white variety. Price is about $1.50 each. The photo shows the old LED bulb on the left and the "better" LED bulb on the right. The difference in the center electrode is clearly seen.

LED bulbs - 1.jpg

Edit added 1/5/21: See post #10 below for an even better alternative!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Nice find thanks for the info.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Much better with the 'standard' base..
Are they polarity sensitive, or do they contain a bridge rectifier?

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
They are polarity sensitive - no built-in rectifier. The center electrode is positive.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
They are polarity sensitive - no built-in rectifier. The center electrode is positive.

Thank you for the additional information..

PhilP.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I bought some from Amazon:

And I got the 24v ones, since I have 24v DCC on the rails.

Really convenient, no additional dropping resistors needed on the decoder, and can also connect them across the rails if always on (adding full wave diode bridge)

Note: DC only as they stand, I posted to show there are options out there. They do NOT replace bulbs that need to accept AC.

Greg

Last edited:

Derailed

Registered
12 Nov 2019
Lansing, KS
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you very much for this link. I have to replace my signal bulbs now that I am running DCC and was wondering how best to do this. EDIT. These bulbs were the wrong size, at least for LGB semaphores. I guess I should have noticed the base number was wrong.

Last edited:

Derailed

Registered
12 Nov 2019
Lansing, KS
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you. I have ordered a set of these.
Update: They went in fine and so far are working fine. The bulb is taller so it fills the aperture better. Though this might make it more difficult to remove later. But it is an led and hopefully will last. Next time I think I won’t shove it in all the way.

Last edited:

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
An important update! Pictured below is probably the ultimate E5.5 warm white LED replacement for the old LGB incandescent bulbs. I was running out of the LED bulbs I originally mentioned in the first post to this thread so decided to try out a few of these in a recent order from Modellbahnshop-Lippe. They have both a built-in rectifier and current limiting resistor so are a true "direct replacement". The LEDs can be powered by ac or dc and, because of the rectifier, are not polarity sensitive and don't flicker when powered by ac (or DCC) power. The center electrode protrudes just enough to make good contact in LGB sockets. The overall size is very close to that of the LGB incandescent bulbs they replace and they can be used in all applications. (The bulbs mentioned on the original post are a bit taller and don't work well in some situations.) The cost is 1.42€.

LED - 1.jpeg

Last edited:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have found (and purchased) 24v ones with a diffuse globe, but these are a different base (e10) and they are DC only, just happen to fit the Aristo car

DSC01306.JPG

Last edited:

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I just followed the link, and scrolled down..

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I am viewing on the Smartie-Phone..

The link in post #13 takes me to a page with an image of four bulbs, but when you scroll down, it says no stock.

Either they don't supply to the UK, or the site is serving incorrect data, when massaged for a phone browser.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
You took a year to tell me that? :wasntme:
HI Greg - I was going through some old stuff and just wanted to make sure others who might stumble on this thread didn't make the same mistake the Derailed did by following your earlier Amazon link. (see Post #7)
Also this new link is for the correct base diameter E5/E5.5, but if you check the details these bulbs do NOT have a built in bridge rectifier which, as you know, makes a huge difference in their usefulness. Another potential issue is the center electrode, in fact, these bulbs look very similar to the original led bulbs I got off Amazon years ago and was bemoaning because they could not be screwed in tight enough for the center electrode to make good contact with LGB light sockets.

There may be other LGB E5.5 screw base LED replacements available, however, I stand by my recommendation of the modellbau-schoenwitz bulbs in Post 10.
They are neither ac, dc, nor polarity sensitive. I know they work as a DIRECT replacement for the LGB bulbs with no issues.

Last edited: