A better E5 base LED bulb

P

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
A couple of years ago I bought some E5 base led bulbs off Ebay looking to use them as replacements for 18V LGB incandescent bulbs. Unfortunately, they did not work well in the typical LGB sockets . It was very difficult to screw them in tight enough. The bulbs bottomed out in the socket before the center electrode made a good contact. Earlier this month after searching bulb suppliers on the internet I found and bought some from www.ledlight.com that work much better. The bulb style number is 24577. They're available rated for 6, 12, and 24 Volts DC and 3000ºK (warm white) or 6000ºK (daylight) color temperature. I ordered the 24V warm white variety. Price is about $1.50 each. The photo shows the old LED bulb on the left and the "better" LED bulb on the right. The difference in the center electrode is clearly seen.

LED bulbs - 1.jpg

Reactions: Henri
idlemarvel

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Nice find thanks for the info.

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Much better with the 'standard' base..
Are they polarity sensitive, or do they contain a bridge rectifier?

P

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
They are polarity sensitive - no built-in rectifier. The center electrode is positive.

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
They are polarity sensitive - no built-in rectifier. The center electrode is positive.
Thank you for the additional information..

PhilP.

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Reactions: Derailed
D

Derailed

Registered
12 Nov 2019
Lansing, KS
Thank you very much for this link. I have to replace my signal bulbs now that I am running DCC and was wondering how best to do this. EDIT. These bulbs were the wrong size, at least for LGB semaphores. I guess I should have noticed the base number was wrong.

Last edited:
Software Tools

Software Tools

Registered
18 Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
This is a direct link to the E5 bulb on the ledlight web site....,

E5 Bulb

Reactions: Derailed
D

Derailed

Registered
12 Nov 2019
Lansing, KS
Thank you. I have ordered a set of these.
Update: They went in fine and so far are working fine. The bulb is taller so it fills the aperture better. Though this might make it more difficult to remove later. But it is an led and hopefully will last. Next time I think I won’t shove it in all the way.

Last edited: