A Ballerina's Face Lift

Mike Whitcomb

Registered
16 Apr 2017
Stuart Fl, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Just thought as it dose affect the overall height, I am hoping to change the wheels on mine and get shut of the Chinese novelty wobbly ones!
I wouldn't know where to begin on changing the wheel sets out and still keep the original motor, I imagine the gears wouldn't line up any more if I moved the wheel sets out to accommodate the new diameter. I would have to make a mock up wheel set and see if there was enough space without drilling new locations for them.

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Update on the Ballerina front, or should I say rear, over Easter the bunker got sorted to it's proper shape
DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG
After a bit of sawing and drilling
DSC_0012.JPG
the new shape made from plasticard and lick of paint
DSC_0013.JPG
Can you see where we are going with this?
From Ballerina to Tree Frog!!
DSC_0015.JPG
DSC_0014.JPG
Finished with transfersome, now just need some handrail knows, any recommendations?

Reactions: 1 users

Mike Whitcomb

Registered
16 Apr 2017
Stuart Fl, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Update on the Ballerina front, or should I say rear, over Easter the bunker got sorted to it's proper shape
View attachment 235610

View attachment 235611
After a bit of sawing and drilling
View attachment 235612
the new shape made from plasticard and lick of paint
View attachment 235613
Can you see where we are going with this?
From Ballerina to Tree Frog!!
View attachment 235614
View attachment 235615
Finished with transfersome, now just need some handrail knows, any recommendations?
Looks good.
Did you paint the green by hand or spray it? I know with the one piece body it makes it difficult

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Looks good.
Did you paint the green by hand or spray it? I know with the one piece body it makes it difficult
Hand painted, looks OK from a distance!

Reactions: 1 user

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,
Well after a bit of a stall on this project, I have made a bit more progress. I managed to get some gauge 1 hand rail knobs from a place in Walsall and using paper clips for the hand rails, finished that job. This week has seen the air and steam heat pipes and fittings in place
DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

Using electric wiring for the pipes with off cuts of plasti card for the cocks. the steam heat valves were made from some handrail knobs that I got from GRS but were a bit on the large side.

Just the ploughs to think about now, I need to think how to make a strong bracket as they will be vulnerable to knocks etc, anyway pleased with how it's turning out.

Mike Whitcomb

Registered
16 Apr 2017
Stuart Fl, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,
Well after a bit of a stall on this project, I have made a bit more progress. I managed to get some gauge 1 hand rail knobs from a place in Walsall and using paper clips for the hand rails, finished that job. This week has seen the air and steam heat pipes and fittings in place
View attachment 240917

View attachment 240918

View attachment 240919

Using electric wiring for the pipes with off cuts of plasti card for the cocks. the steam heat valves were made from some handrail knobs that I got from GRS but were a bit on the large side.

Just the ploughs to think about now, I need to think how to make a strong bracket as they will be vulnerable to knocks etc, anyway pleased with how it's turning out.
That looks really good, an amazing job

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Well last night I made up some ploughs using plastic tube, cut in half and shaped, I then araldited wire to the backs
and left them to set over night.
DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0001.JPG
Today was spent adjusting the wires and working out a method of fixing, oh and re-gluing the wires because when I bent them, the araldite broke away, DOH!
DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

The finished article, my first G scale loco bash, I could have bought an LGB version, but as this was a first, I didn't want to hack a £300 + loco. As always, it takes longer than you think, but a lot of fun working out how to modify things in this scale, not 00 fine scale or full on engineneering. All in all good fun and a nice little project, not quite as good as some peoples work on here, but we all have to start some where.

Reactions: 3 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Well last night I made up some ploughs using plastic tube, cut in half and shaped, I then araldited wire to the backs
and left them to set over night.
View attachment 241000

View attachment 240999
Today was spent adjusting the wires and working out a method of fixing, oh and re-gluing the wires because when I bent them, the araldite broke away, DOH!
View attachment 241001

View attachment 241002

View attachment 241003

View attachment 241004

The finished article, my first G scale loco bash, I could have bought an LGB version, but as this was a first, I didn't want to hack a £300 + loco. As always, it takes longer than you think, but a lot of fun working out how to modify things in this scale, not 00 fine scale or full on engineneering. All in all good fun and a nice little project, not quite as good as some peoples work on here, but we all have to start some where.
Well spoken words in your last sentence. I had be wondering how to add ploughs to mine and you have shown me the way. One can always learn from others no matter how long you have been in this game!

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Jon, here's a couple of shots hopefully showing the brackets from the back, I've high lighted them in white. the ones at rear go into the wood block for the coupling or are glued to the drag box. At the front the brackets go into holes drilled into part of the step bracket or glued to the chassis, hope these help.
Mind you, thinking about it, you might have to modify as you still have the coupling on the pony truck?
Pete
DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0001.JPG

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Jon, here's a couple of shots hopefully showing the brackets from the back, I've high lighted them in white. the ones at rear go into the wood block for the coupling or are glued to the drag box. At the front the brackets go into holes drilled into part of the step bracket or glued to the chassis, hope these help.
Mind you, thinking about it, you might have to modify as you still have the coupling on the pony truck?
Pete
View attachment 241071

View attachment 241070
Thanks for tha additional pics. Likely mine will be made from Metal Tube, thinking 10mm Copper Plumbing Pipe may be the thing as then I can solder everything up and fix with screws. Not a great lover of glue in certain low track situations. What size pipe did you use?

Also re reading your conversion I note that your Bunker Mods are appropriate for 6001 in my 1981 Pictures. I just wonder where or how LGB got the idea of that curved bunker? Some research required me thinks.

Last edited:

65 1057

Railways @ 1.435 mm/ 1.000 mm/ 750 mm and 45mm
9 May 2018
Berlin
Best answers
Country flag
A funny detail just for those who did not know yet:

The Ballerina left in 1981 the RAW "German-Soviet Friendship" Görlitz after a major overhaul (Hauptuntersuchung - HU).
As control number they riveted a "2", although the "4" would have been correct...

99 6001 mit falscher EDV-Kontrollziffer - Bimmelbahn-Forum

In summer 1982 the number was corrected back into 99 6001-4.

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for tha additional pics. Likely mine will be made from Metal Tube, thinking 10mm Copper Plumbing Pipe may be the thing as then I can solder everything up and fix with screws. Not a great lover of glue in certain low track situations. What size pipe did you use?

Also re reading your conversion I note that your Bunker Mods are appropriate for 6001 in my 1981 Pictures. I just wonder where or how LGB got the idea of that curved bunker? Some research required me thinks.
Jon, the pipe I used is about 13mm, so I would reccomend 15mm copper pipe, in fact I used a bit to bend the wire around as the plastic was too soft.

RE the bunker, Perhaps LGB looked at the back of a 2-10--2 by mistake!!

Never noticed the 2 control number before will have to look at a few pics

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Jon, the pipe I used is about 13mm, so I would reccomend 15mm copper pipe, in fact I used a bit to bend the wire around as the plastic was too soft.

RE the bunker, Perhaps LGB looked at the back of a 2-10--2 by mistake!!

Never noticed the 2 control number before will have to look at a few pics
I was at Alexisbad in February 1981 and here is a pic probably posted before of her showing the 4 Check Digit. Also as can just be seen with Snowploghs as you have done present. Though I am pretty sure of the 2 being present at some stage perhaps from odd pics in books or read it somewhere. Must have been after my visit that she did the Gorlitz Works Trip or possibly just before?

image.jpeg

Wow had to do some serious messing with the Slide as it would not load to GSC as it was to large and my Edit would not save. However the ScreenGrab and Edit worked ok!

And here she is with the erroneous 2 Check Digit also at Alexisbad in Spring 1982 so definitely after my visit.
image.jpeg

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting - best excuse yet for having two of these on your line! :D:D

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I had
Interesting - best excuse yet for having two of these on your line! :D:D
3 for a while till I started the Garrett. oF corse the Green NWE scheme is not that old either. So three would be possible,though I would number them 6001,6002,6003 as the last one is the Computer Check Digit. There were plans for this loco to be first of a class so perhaps had that plan got to fruition we would have none of the Harz Mallets running still.

65 1057

Railways @ 1.435 mm/ 1.000 mm/ 750 mm and 45mm
9 May 2018
Berlin
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009