A Ballerina's Face Lift

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Having been tempted into G scale the Newqida Harz 6001 look-a-like and then moving on to the hard stuff, I soon got fed up with the blue front headlamps, so off to an electronics shop, buy 2 white led's and swap them over, no problem!!
Well I took the lamps off and looked at the front end...Hummm, it's a bit fat me thinks, don't like the buffer beam...Hummm, So off with the front pony truck, out with mister hacksaw!!

DSC_0012.JPG

After a bit of chopping and muttering
DSC_0018.JPG

Better, but need to sort out that coupling hole...Hummmm
DSC_0020.JPG

A bit of wood glued in and the coupling end shortened, so the loop swings enough for R1's if needed (have sort of set R2/3 as minimum) and built up a new laminated plasticard buffer beam,
DSC_0023.JPG
Just now add the air brake pipes, the vacuum ones removed and maybe a steam head pipe and job done.....errr well, not so, those lamps I was on about... well....,
see the led's I got don't work, so can anyone help??

As the saying goes, When your up to your arse in crocodiles, it's hard to remember the original objective was to drain the swamp!!

Pete
oh yes, there's the cab roof vent is as built and the front 2 side cab windows are a bit big, oh and that rear buffer beam..........

Reactions: 3 users

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
You've killed it... :eek:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I have often wondered why they called it "Der Ballerina" when it's so short and tubby.... maybe it's a German joke that doesn't translate well..... ;)
By "the Hard Stuff" I assume you mean that Harzbulle 2-10-2? :)

Jon.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
You DID get the new LED's the right way round? - They are polarity dependent. :oops:
(Apologies if this is teaching to 'suck eggs').. :eek:

Failing that, I have one here I can have a look at..
Mine is quite old in the ?brown and orange? 'Train' box, so might not be the same??
From memory, it has a nasty old-school circuit board in it!

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
You DID get the new LED's the right way round? - They are polarity dependent. :oops:
(Apologies if this is teaching to 'suck eggs').. :eek:

Failing that, I have one here I can have a look at..
Mine is quite old in the ?brown and orange? 'Train' box, so might not be the same??
From memory, it has a nasty old-school circuit board in it!

Did try them both ways (the old blue ones still work), have tried them directly to the battery, one worked,but a bit dim (led not me....I think?) the other didn't work at all, had tried them before I started and they where OK
Pete

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
The LEDs will need series resistors to limit the current. Value depends what input voltage they're fed with?

[edit]
Sorry - forgot we're talking about replacing the existing blue LEDs so they should already have suitable resistors in the wiring or on the board.

DON'T connect direct to the battery, that'll probably blow them!!

As mentioned, check the polarity.
[/edit]

Last edited:

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
The LEDs will need series resistors to limit the current. Value depends what input voltage they're fed with?

[edit]
Sorry - forgot we're talking about replacing the existing blue LEDs so they should already have suitable resistors in the wiring or on the board.

DON'T connect direct to the battery, that'll probably blow them!!

As mentioned, check the polarity.
[/edit]
Arrr! Did try them to the battery, with the resistors, that may have killed them.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Arrr! Did try them to the battery, with the resistors, that may have killed them.

If it was WITH THE RESISTORS, you *should* be OK..
However, nothing is certain, except 'death and taxes'! :eek:;)

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
If you do it properly, you can sometimes get a nice resounding 'pop' when you blow them - at least it's comforting to know that you've actually blown them and it's not some other problem :nerd::nerd::nerd:

Reactions: 1 users

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
OK, so in your PM you said you couldn't get either of them to work from the battery with resistors? Do you know what value of resistor Maplin provided? Wondering if maybe the resistance is too high for running them off a 7.2V battery?

As a rough guess, given
Battery voltage 7.2V
LED forward voltage = 3.5V (typical for a white LED)
current = 15mA (safe but enough to light it)

then the resistor would be 270 ohms.
http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz

220 ohms would make them a bit brighter at 20mA. Should be plenty bright enough!

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
OK, so in your PM you said you couldn't get either of them to work from the battery with resistors? Do you know what value of resistor Maplin provided? Wondering if maybe the resistance is too high for running them off a 7.2V battery?

As a rough guess, given
Battery voltage 7.2V

220 ohms would make them a bit brighter at 20mA. Should be plenty bright enough!

Thanks, got 2 new LEDS on the way into work this afternoon, I think they are 5volt, will have a think about it for the next 2hrs on the train from Euston
by the way Rhino, they didn't go pop sadly, can't beat an impressive failure!!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks, got 2 new LEDS on the way into work this afternoon, I think they are 5volt, will have a think about it for the next 2hrs on the train from Euston
by the way Rhino, they didn't go pop sadly, can't beat an impressive failure!!
Agree with you about impressive failures, a good loud bang makes it all worthwhile:D
LEDs are current dependant, not voltage dependant, I'm sure others will explain far better than I can

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
... got 2 new LEDS.. I think they are 5volt

LEDs aren't voltage governed devices, it's the current that's important. Hence the need for a series resistor calculated to limit the current for a given supply voltage. When you calculate the resistor you need to know the "forward voltage drop" across the LED (which can be different for different colours etc.), and subtract that from the supply voltage to find out the voltage that must be dropped over the resistor. Hence you can calculate the required resistance using Ohm's Law using that voltage and the desired current.
Online calculators like the one I linked to in my previous post make it easy!

However, saying that you can get LEDs with built-in resistors to make them suitable for direct connection to - say- 12V.

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag

As a rough guess, given
Battery voltage 7.2V

Thanks, got 2 new LEDS on the way into work this afternoon, I think they are 5volt, will have a think about it for the next 2hrs on the train from
Agree with you about impressive failures, a good loud bang makes it all worthwhile:D
LEDs are current dependant, not voltage dependant, I'm sure others will explain far better than I can
Best bang and flash, was a class 37 main generator letting go on Shap, the control cubical got fried to, should have gone to a pre wedding meeting, so got second explosion when I got home!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
LEDs aren't voltage governed devices, it's the current that's important. Hence the need for a series resistor calculated to limit the current for a given supply voltage. When you calculate the resistor you need to know the "forward voltage drop" across the LED (which can be different for different colours etc.), and subtract that from the supply voltage to find out the voltage that must be dropped over the resistor. Hence you can calculate the required resistance using Ohm's Law using that voltage and the desired current.
Online calculators like the one I linked to in my previous post make it easy!

However, saying that you can get LEDs with built-in resistors to make them suitable for direct connection to - say- 12V.
Ah, I never understood what forward voltage drop was :emo::emo::emo::emo:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting work you are doing here. Without doubt some of your work will be required for my one when I get round to backdating it to 1981 condition. Of note is the way you have swept the new Buffer Beam in with a curve that is less prominent just like the real thing.

Below are 4 in a row with the Newquid one at the rear, my LGB one at the front. Note the overexagerated sweep of the Buffer Beam, a job to be sorted just as you have.
image.jpeg
This is how she appeared in 1981, sorry pic a bit dark my iPad would not allow me to do any magic on the scanned image.
image.jpeg
Here she is in 2011, the buffet beam is not so prominently seen now due to some piping connectors.
image.jpeg
Finally to help you another view of the rear taken in 2011.
image.jpeg
Looking forward to more updates on your revamp.
JonD

Last edited:

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks to you all for your help and advice, after lunch, out came the soldering iron and a quick check showed 3 volts to the lamp, the LEDs where rated 3.5 volts, so that was ok, I put the 2 resistors in line and soldered the whole lot up
DSC_0018.JPG

They do seem a bit dimmer, so may have got away with out the resistors, still they are more of a marker light than a head light.

Four Jon!!!
I'll get the hacksaw across to you!! I think one should be green (21) at least, that how she was when I saw her first in 1994, I may go that way when I've sorted the cab and rear out, any way, pleased with how it's gone so far.

Pete

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Pete,
ta for offer of Hacksaw!
JonD

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Part 2.
Dealt with the rear end last week, again re building the buffer beam
DSC_0018.JPG
the old lower bit removed and rear pony truck coupling removed.
DSC_0019.JPG
rebuilding the same as the front
DSC_0036.JPG
Then I set to making the leading cab window smaller by removing the original glazing and cutting it down to sit in the frame, leaving a space for a new plasticard smaller window frame to sit on top, but flush with the cab side
DSC_0037.JPG
trouble is the open window now looks a bit large! another job!:(
DSC_0038.JPG
Still needs a bit of filling around the new window, but happy with the buffer beam now, there is a bit of swing in the rear coupling and I done a few test through some R1 reverse curves pulling and propelling with no issues, now to the cab vent and filling in the speaker grill on the bunker (the sound never worked anyway, ain't I the lucky one!!!)