3d Printing A South Australian Brill 75

Alan B

3D printer/maker trains motor bikes BMW
6 Apr 2015
Milang South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi All
I've been teaching 3D CAD at the local technical college here in Murray Bridge for 14 years or so and have now "retired" and have been watching the threads on 3D printed locos with much interest, so I thought I would share one of my projects.
I am building an SAR Brill maximum capacity 75, these rail-cars were used across the SAR particularly on small branch lines.
I am using 3D printing as it is quick and accurate and produces a highly detailed finish. I have also been using the process for about 4 years. Here are some pictures of progress so far and one of the prototype.DSC_03431.jpg The parts I had to split the side into 5 parts to print
DSC_03441.jpg The body walls assembled
DSC_03461.jpg
Printing one of the roof sections I use the 3D UP Plus 2 for most of my high detail stuff
hqdefault.jpg .
The prototype

Alan

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
As Alan knows, I have already built one of these, but in my case the shorter, 3' 6" gauge Brill 55 in G Scale. Mine is a hybrid. The body is a polycarbonate box with styrene sheet glued on. Most of the components are 3D printed including the bogie sides, the radiator, fuel tank, battery box, seats, window frames and buffer beam. Fitted with 14.4 volts of AA batteries under the floor, radio control and (naturally) a MyLocoSound soundcard.
I'm looking forward to seeing how Alan gets on 3D printing that cow catcher....I bought mine from GRS.
Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

Attachments

• Brill 55 Small.jpg
    Brill 55 Small.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 18

spoz

What do I do? What I'm told by SWMBO
27 Oct 2011
Adelaide, South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice Alan, I've seen Peter's and admired it. His description above makes it sound as if it's a bit crude; actually it's anything but and is to my mind a very good representation. I'm very much looking forward to updates on your progress! I've always loved the Brills in all their incarnations - Rail cars with real character.

I'm tempted by 3D printing, but given my virtual total incompetence in CAD - I've had a package for years and never got beyond crude 2D track diagrams - I'm not convinced the investment would be worth it.

Steve

Alan B

6 Apr 2015
Milang South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi All
The scale is 1:32 which suits the SA broad gauge. I've progressed a little further and have the body together, printed the chassis and the rear bogie. Now its down to the real challenge which I think will be harder than the cow catcher, designing and building a mechanism to suit the power bogie I have wheels a motor and some odd gears so lets see what I can make of them!!:)DSC_03531.jpg
The body assembled the filler in the roof is at the joins the side were printed in 5 parts and joined on the rivet lines which should disappear when painted. DSC_03501.jpg
the rear bogie detail came out quite well DSC_03551.jpg
On the rails minus power bigieDSC_03491.jpg the chassis

Reactions: 1 users

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Nice bogies. The rivets came out well.

Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

fridge

Registered
15 Jan 2012
Sussex
Best answers
Very nice Alan, I've seen Peter's and admired it. His description above makes it sound as if it's a bit crude; actually it's anything but and is to my mind a very good representation. I'm very much looking forward to updates on your progress! I've always loved the Brills in all their incarnations - Rail cars with real character.

I'm tempted by 3D printing, but given my virtual total incompetence in CAD - I've had a package for years and never got beyond crude 2D track diagrams - I'm not convinced the investment would be worth it.

Steve
For anyone unsure about investing in 3D software packages could I suggest 123dapp? This is a free download which I have used in its various forms for a few years now? Being free, it's not entirely free from glitches but it costs nothing and will get your mind thinking in shapes rather than lines, a bit like those old intelligence tests of my long-past youth.

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
In South Australia, the Brill railcars ran on both 5'3" and 3'6" tracks with (obviously) different bogies. Alan has chosen to model the longer Brill 75 in 5'3" format and has therefore used 1:32 Gauge 1. My shorter Brill 55 is modelled in 1:22.5 G Scale in the narrow gauge format where 3'6" scales close to 45mm. I actually started building mine as a Brill 75 but found it was too long to go around a curved viaduct on my railway.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
As Alan knows, I have already built one of these, but in my case the shorter, 3' 6" gauge Brill 55 in G Scale. Mine is a hybrid. The body is a polycarbonate box with styrene sheet glued on. Most of the components are 3D printed including the bogie sides, the radiator, fuel tank, battery box, seats, window frames and buffer beam. Fitted with 14.4 volts of AA batteries under the floor, radio control and (naturally) a MyLocoSound soundcard.
I'm looking forward to seeing how Alan gets on 3D printing that cow catcher....I bought mine from GRS.
Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound
Peter,
Any link to a YouTube vid of the Brill please? Would love to see and hear it in action.
JonD

Alan B

6 Apr 2015
Milang South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi All
Hope you all had a great Christmas, I spent most of the day playing trains with the grand kids:D:D:D however with the big day done its back to work on the Brill. Ive designed and built a drive bogie using a motor gearbox kit from I.P. engineering which only drives on one axle however when tested it had no problem driving up a 2% grade with a worn out 9 volt battery, the gear ratio is 30:1 so it pulls quite well. DSC_03621.jpg
DSC_03641.jpg The Brill body sitting in the paint shop DSC_03691.jpg this is the drive bogie which is 3D printed
DSC_03671.jpg
This is the SAR 800 class loco I am also working on at the moment,

Reactions: 1 user

Alan B

6 Apr 2015
Milang South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi All
I have a few progress photos fresh out of the paint shop also the cow catcher is progressing well.DSC_03731.jpg

DSC_03701.jpg DSC_03711.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

SARRX207

Registered
3 Jan 2016
Blackwood
Best answers
Country flag
hi there Alan im interested in doing a 620 class is there any way you could point me in to direction of plans

Alan B

6 Apr 2015
Milang South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi There Its been a while since i posted on this thread Ive been rather busy building models for others But in the next couple of weeks i should be able to get back building some of my own.
I have been printing another Brill railcar the one known as the milk bar due to the style of the interior seating. at this stage it just printed parts but should come together over the next couple of weeks.DSC_0410.jpg DSC_0411.jpg

Below are a couple of pictures of the interior of the "milk bar" version of the Brill

217.jpg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Mmmm ... smart :clap::clap::clap:

SARRX207

Registered
3 Jan 2016
Blackwood
Best answers
Country flag
hi Alan would you be able to make a 520 in g gauge on comission?

Last edited:

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
That would be worth seeing. But what radius curves would it go around?

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

SARRX207

Registered
3 Jan 2016
Blackwood
Best answers
Country flag
hi all in need of help with scratch building a sar f class chasis in 1/32nd scale as soon i will have the body 3d printed

daveyb

badger tickling, sheep worrying
25 Oct 2009
nr st andews scotch land
Best answers
Country flag
looking good,,, 3d is going to really help keep the hobby active in the future

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
hi all in need of help with scratch building a sar f class chasis in 1/32nd scale as soon i will have the body 3d printed
I would look at buying a Bachmann "James the Red Engine" and modifying its chassis and wheel sets to suit. I haven't checked but the wheel diameters look about right.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound