Zen Buddha Large scale decoders

Cranford

Theatre, Model railroads, GCR
29 Jan 2010
Leicester
Best answers
Country flag
Has any member used these Large Scale decoders satisfactorily, they say they have a running load of 3amp which is ok for most 2 motor locos and are 4 function so lights are controlled. Comments would be appreciated.
They are a DCCconcepts product.

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Tony. I'd not seen these before, but they look OK. I've got several PIKO BR80s which are destined for DCC. I note Anticsonline are doing a 3 pack for £99.95 plus £4 P&P. They could be just the job. I'll hang on and see whether any Forumites have had experience of the product.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Tony. I'd not seen these before, but they look OK. I've got several PIKO BR80s which are destined for DCC. I note Anticsonline are doing a 3 pack for £99.95 plus £4 P&P. They could be just the job. I'll hang on and see whether any Forumites have had experience of the product.
Agreed they look O.K and have a U.K. base and warranty.
Four function outputs should be enough for steam loco lighting. I note the outputs are described as 250mA lighting outputs. This may mean swapping the smoke unit to a higher voltage lower current version than the Piko standard, even if the function output voltage is adjustable. If you want smoke I suggest you email DCCconcepts directly.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
That looks pretty good value especially as they include stay alive.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Is it the "budda" in that 3 pack? That sounds way too cheap. They make a smaller lower power decoder in a 3 pack that is just a Zen, not the Zen Budda

Greg
You can get a 3 pack of the 3 amp ones from DCC Concepts for £129.95. Found this as I was looking to see if they did 00 Sound Decoders.

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Agreed they look O.K and have a U.K. base and warranty.
Four function outputs should be enough for steam loco lighting. I note the outputs are described as 250mA lighting outputs. This may mean swapping the smoke unit to a higher voltage lower current version than the Piko standard, even if the function output voltage is adjustable. If you want smoke I suggest you email DCCconcepts directly.
My BR80s are the early ones without smoke Neil, so that's not a requirement. If they have similar characteristics, I had thought of trying a consist of three for my 'Leopold' military train - two up front and the other banking. Visions of all over grey livery with armour plating cladding are going through my mind.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Had 1...blew 1 .. after 4 hours running continually

Cranford

29 Jan 2010
Leicester
Best answers
Country flag
In reply to all thanks, it is the Zen Buddha large scale decoders I am asking about, Mike's answer was the one I was looking for, I have one that blew when I switched to shunting mode, but I have a colleague who has had 2 blow after running for a period of time, I have to admit we are fitting to locos with 2 motors but the running amps of 2.4 are below the parameters set for the decoder, maybe, just maybe they should be used for single motor operation. I have emailed the company and they responded quickly to the effect that I am sending the decoder to then for inspection/repair/replace.
I have formed the opinion that Dcc conceptsuk are very good on all other scales except Large Scale, I hope they can prove me wrong.

Reactions: 1 user

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
In reply to all thanks, it is the Zen Buddha large scale decoders I am asking about, Mike's answer was the one I was looking for, I have one that blew when I switched to shunting mode, but I have a colleague who has had 2 blow after running for a period of time, I have to admit we are fitting to locos with 2 motors but the running amps of 2.4 are below the parameters set for the decoder, maybe, just maybe they should be used for single motor operation. I have emailed the company and they responded quickly to the effect that I am sending the decoder to then for inspection/repair/replace.
I have formed the opinion that Dcc conceptsuk are very good on all other scales except Large Scale, I hope they can prove me wrong.
What locos were they?
I notice that NCE have a decoder that is rated at 4A continuous, 10A peak (stall) that isn't warranted for use in USA Trains locos, They think their 8A continuous decoders are needed.

Cranford

29 Jan 2010
Leicester
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Neil, they are a Piko 218 and a Piko br240 both dual motors, these were suggested as a good alternative to more expensive decoders and the write up about them is that they are virtually bombproof., the spec for them is the same as the massoth XL ie 3amp cont.and 5amp max.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
How do you mount them?

Sticky-pads to a plastic chassis will not dissipate heat very well..
Could be the reason they fail after a few hours continuous use??

Regarding smoke and 250mA function output limit:
You can always use the function output to control a relay. - Bridge rectifier and regulator external to the decoder will give you better control of amount of smoke.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
20171122_101152.jpg Mine was mounted internally on foambord..running on the e10 upgraded lgb motor blocks pulling under 1 amp

Reactions: 1 users

Cranford

29 Jan 2010
Leicester
Best answers
Country flag
Sticky pads have not been used, have installed numerous decoders of different types usually mounted with blu tac on the edges to give air movement, in this case it was in free air as the wires were able to support it satisfactorily, plus the loco body was removed, the same applies to my colleagues overheating problem and cutting out and not resetting but shorting out. The smoke and other outputs, apart from LED lights are not in use so loading was minimal. Am waiting for a further reply from Dcc concepts as the first reply was I feel unbelievable suggesting I reduce the track voltage to below 20v.
That should stir up some comments.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Not really a large scale decoder then, is it?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Sticky pads have not been used, have installed numerous decoders of different types usually mounted with blu tac on the edges to give air movement, in this case it was in free air as the wires were able to support it satisfactorily, plus the loco body was removed, the same applies to my colleagues overheating problem and cutting out and not resetting but shorting out. The smoke and other outputs, apart from LED lights are not in use so loading was minimal. Am waiting for a further reply from Dcc concepts as the first reply was I feel unbelievable suggesting I reduce the track voltage to below 20v.
That should stir up some comments.

Hmmm, that implies that it is the voltage that's blowing them, not the amps drawn.... :eek:

Jon.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I see current ratings by posters, but I did not see voltage ratings. I have a system that places 24 volts DCC on the track and I know not to trust the 21 volt rated decoders by MRC.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
From my limited experience of manufacturers, I think most large scale systems run at 22 - 24 Volts.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
From my limited experience of manufacturers, I think most large scale systems run at 22 - 24 Volts.

Yes, that's what I'd assume too - any decoder described as suitable for "Large Scale" should be capable of AT LEAST 24 volts without any problems; in fact, doesn't the DCC standard specify something like 35v capacity?

Jon.