Working Container Terminal Crane - Digital Control

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Wow, noticed this in a German magazine. They dont mess about over there.
http://www.modellbahn-elmshorn.de/containerkran-spur-g.html
The model is fully Functional and compatible with most DCC command stations

big_34068916_0_500-667.JPG

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
800mm tall though. A big blighter.

Beddhist

Motorcycle travel, trains
16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag
They say that it is not an exact model, rather they have created a reliable, robust functioning model that is weather proof (garden). I can't see them selling too many of this, but it's certainly interesting. The standard gripper uses an electro magnet and containers need to have a suitable plate attached to the top. The "expert" gripper uses 4 individually motorised arms to hold a container (or semi trailer) with constant force.

brian alan

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
I have just bought a second hand one! a lot less money work electrical work needed. As I am no electrician is there anybody in south devon that can PM me for a chat reTX22/deltang/RCS or whatever. If I have broken any g scale central rules please forgive me, first message sent

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
No problems with that post Brian. Great to know that one of these is around. we will be expecting lots of pictures please. It does say it is digital rather than RC but I expect any method can be got to work. Look forward to seeing your progress.

brian alan

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
The portainer I purchased was a grs handmade one second hand(sec3572)needs some TLC will send pictures when I find out how to do them.Nothing digital on my layout that is why I am going with type TX control
Brian Alan

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
No, it is a LARGE hand-made (I think) model, which GRS (UK retailer) have had in for some time.. I was tempted, but Matthew keeps giving me Customers loco's to play with!

Brian, it might be worth your while seeing if you can find where it came from, and contacting the original owner?? I find if you are interested, and are intending to renovate a 'one-off' they builder is more than happy to supply some information.

Good luck with the project.

brian alan

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
PhilP, Thanks for your advice. Did you see it? The first impression was that the electrics needed up dating so I am hoping I can find somebody in south devon that can lead me down the TX?? path as I have little experience in that field.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
PhilP, Thanks for your advice. Did you see it? The first impression was that the electrics needed up dating so I am hoping I can find somebody in south devon that can lead me down the TX?? path as I have little experience in that field.

Yes Brian, I saw it.. Matthew knows I am a sucker for a crane, and did try to persuade me to take it on!
Unfortunately, I have not yet retired, so would not be able to have given it the time at the moment.*

*Yes, I am being made aware that you have LESS free time once retired! ;)

D

Deleted member 1986

Edit:

Last edited by a moderator:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Awesome!
Appears very smooth running.
:clap::clap::clap:

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
There is a scale model of Rotterdam container terminal at the Madurodam attraction and it is huge and works. It an interactive one for users to try to load a certain umber of containers, in a certain order. It uses suction to pick up the 'container blocks and then motorised cable drive for moving the cotainer around.
Fascinating to try to do the activity.
Apparently they did do a working computer controlled model but went with the interactive one instead.

Container.jpg

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Wow, isn't that impressive. I've been looking at Playmobil's container crane. I feel inadequate now.....:speechless:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Dan do not worry, Freightliner Terminals came in all sizes. The ine at Par used to forward some quite small Trains. Pic in this link:-

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/st-germans-excl-to-plymouth.html

Pics of 4 wagon Train are about half way down the Thread. At Par they used what I think was called a Drot a sort of large Fork Lift to load the containers. So your PM will work just fine for a Modest Sized Terminal.

EDIT In my youth I used to take all sorts of odd ball picks of Railway Infrastructure, sadly though I could have - Par Terminal was not ine if them. Another if only as it would have been a quite desirable picture now.
JonD

Last edited:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I wonder how often they have to fish 'containers' out of the water??