Wood, imitation or real...?

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
As the Backer & Rueb tram loco is finally reaching it's completion (YES!!), my next project should be the build of at least one, maybe two, accompanying coaches.

rtm-reis_in_ansichten_serie1-02.jpg

The coaches are made of I think teak wood.

What would the more experienced modellers here do? Go for 'all wood', or plasticard base and glued on wood strips or all plasticard with painted on wood imitation?

Like to read some opinions here... Especially as I've seen some excellent painted wood imitations here lately!

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Wood is the most realistic, even if it was ply, or balsa on plasticard.

But as you say Henri, some paint finishes can look very much like teak....

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Don't knock on wood..... :rofl:

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I guess its down to what material you are most comfortable and competent in working with. I am no woodworker, I have always modelled in plastic. There have been some superb models, shown on the Forum, made by painstakingly gluing individual coffee stirrers together, the wood is then painted which covers up and obliterates the work. I have to ask 'why bother;. Much is made on the Forum of 'the eight foot rule' whereby it is reckoned that on a garden layout most models a viewed from no closer than eight feet away, at which distance much fine detail is not seen anyway. Contrary to that argument I put a fair amount of detail into my stock, but then I am an indoor modeller, whereby viewing will be at a closer distance, even so I include a lot of detail that will not be seen at any distance. It's all down to satisfaction of the builder and whatever rocks your world. There have also been some amazing examples of plastic dressed up, painted and weathered to replicate wood that I would love to have the skill to emulate. I consider myself to be very much middle of the road with my plastic/wood representations, but the results please me and I am the most important critic that I know.

dig 150701002.JPG

dig 180331010.JPG

David

Reactions: 1 user

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
I've tried both. Both items are around 16 mm scale. The resin coach has a scumbled finish, first attempt, got lucky - I used a salmon pink base coat (not white as some do, take a long hard look at a Gresley teak coach and it will make sense) and Phoenix Precision paints Teak finish "almost dry brushed on. The brake van was a Coloron wood dye with a satin varnish top coat. The final appearance of stained ply can be a bit hit and miss depending on the grain in the ply's surface. Always stain before using any adhesive or sealers. Max

lady anne loco and train 005.JPGlady anne loco and train 006.JPGlady anne loco and train 010.JPG

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
D David , your wood imitation is spot on. Very, very well done!!

I've seen some Youtube vids where a brown/orange base was applied and then a kind of 'drybrush' with oil paint was applied imitating the wood structure. That looked also very impressive...

Yes my plastic skills are much better than woodwork, I like to have the coaches at least have a plastic 'structure' (glue coffee stirrers over it...?).
An all wood coach would be so fragile and weather influences would be an issue.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Henri

I did not describe how I actually paint my wood. I use enamel paints, I give the are two base coats of a basic wood colour, current favourite is Humbrol No 93, Desert Sand. I then use an old ceramic tile as a mixing pallet, putting a generous blob of the base colour on it, I then usually start with some matt white mixed in to create lighter shade which I use to re-paint individual planks/slats. I then do the same with a spot of matt black to create darker shades. I have dry brushed a darker shade over the planks on my freight wagons but I do not bother with coach interiors as they would be cleaner and the detail would not be seen anyway.

dig 190904018.JPG

David

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
D David , your wood imitation is spot on. Very, very well done!!

I've seen some Youtube vids where a brown/orange base was applied and then a kind of 'drybrush' with oil paint was applied imitating the wood structure. That looked also very impressive...

Yes my plastic skills are much better than woodwork, I like to have the coaches at least have a plastic 'structure' (glue coffee stirrers over it...?).
An all wood coach would be so fragile and weather influences would be an issue.
Have to say that I do like working with wood. Something satisfying about using the real thing to create the real Model. This coach was built when I had interest in Irish Narrow Gauge Railways, it is based in a Tralee and Dingle Coach. The LGB Bogies let it down some sadly leaving the Coach sitting a little high to my eye, but it runs and looks fine at the end of the TnD Cattle Train I have also built. Fairly thickish Ply was used for the Base with much thinner for the sides and end partitions. The Partitions do give a lot of internal Strength as does the varying uprights from Square Stock (Siding to our US Friends). Fine Veneer was cut up for much of the detail, this veneer is used by Aircraft Modellers’ to cover Wings.

4D220985-9265-43C8-827C-0595A554E850.jpegF5AF407A-2CB9-42E1-8C32-FCE737CAEB45.jpeg77861E33-699B-4A8F-B127-4F8F72ED2EFB.jpegAE5FAEB8-274A-479C-872F-83B6DF1609E2.jpeg

I even went mad to add Opening Doors, bit of a waste of time really but I probably needed to prove to myself that I could do it.

45548B91-2A9B-4699-B0BE-165B0BC231C0.jpeg

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
I've built several wooden coaches, and I must admit that Max's coach is one of the best I have seen. However, using a piece of wood that has been grooved/scribed to look like planks is likely to produce the grain effect:

20160923_141239-green-side-grain-ebt5sm.jpg

The brake van was a Coloron wood dye with a satin varnish top coat. The final appearance of stained ply can be a bit hit and miss depending on the grain in the ply's surface.
That van shows the same effect - it's unlikely the railroad wanted matched wood panels! The only way around it is to use plastic/styrene or individual planks.

Paulus

Registered
13 Jan 2012
Best answers

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Being as I live in Florida word wood is synonymous with the word rot so I don't build anything out of wood, everything I build is PCV or styrene usually scraped with a course saw blade to give grain and the painted with several different colors of both rattle cans and or acrylics and so far the results have been good.

Attachments

• water tank support PVC timbers.JPG
    water tank support PVC timbers.JPG
    283.1 KB · Views: 0
  • freight station trunk in door.JPG
    freight station trunk in door.JPG
    380.5 KB · Views: 0
  • drover caboose cowboy section.JPG
    drover caboose cowboy section.JPG
    288.1 KB · Views: 0
  • ORF caboose right side _2_.JPG
    ORF caboose right side _2_.JPG
    343.5 KB · Views: 0

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I build rolling stock with wood and then paint it - and I also use cardboard (again painted) ....

Garden Railway _221_.jpg
Garden Railway _350_.jpg

DSCF3957.JPG
Loco Roster _16_.JPG

As long as I take stuff back into to the shed it has lasted (so far) fifteen years. I use Obechi ply of different thickness and scribe it. I have plastic sheets purchased but I cannot get out of the habit of using wood! Probably the downside of me using wood is the scale thickness of the combined layers of paint!

Paulus

Registered
13 Jan 2012
Best answers
I build rolling stock with wood and then paint it - and I also use cardboard (again painted) ....

Your rolling stock looks great! But how does the cardboard react to damp weather? Is the paint enough protection?

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Your rolling stock looks great! But how does the cardboard react to damp weather? Is the paint enough protection?

To be honest, I haven't had any problems. Maybe it's because I used traditional household paint and not the modern stuff?

Paulus

Registered
13 Jan 2012
Best answers
To be honest, I haven't had any problems. Maybe it's because I used traditional household paint and not the modern stuff?
Okay thanks! The old turpentine based paint that is I assume ;-) The reason I asked is that I had build a little railcar lately and the roof and doors were made out of cardboard actually only to get it done fast. I was planning to replace these but perhaps painting some extra layers over it will work just fine. I like cardboard as material but I am a bit reluctant to use it because of weather (though I never ride trains in the rain...)

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Yes the old turpentine! Of course, it goes without saying, that both sides (and edges) need painting!