Wireless MTS Controlers

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
I currently have two wired MTS controllers. I would like to make both of these wireless so that trains can be controlled from anywhere in the garden. To do this what is all the equipment i need, with part numbers if possible.

HBBahn

Registered
21 Nov 2009
North Wales
Best answers
Country flag
LGB 55050 Wireless transmitter
LGB 55055 Wireless receiver

The former plugs into the handset, replacing the wire, the latter plugs into the central station.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Parallel or serial versions of both 55050 & 55055 exist. The parallel versions are indicated with a round "P" sticker or p suffix partnumber

If your MTS system is parallel (MTS III or MTS II with a "P" sticker) and all your handsets are all Parallel then you should get Parallel versions of the 55050 & 55055.

I believe that Parallel versions of those items are available new - I will check availability and PM you a price later.

HBBahn

Registered
21 Nov 2009
North Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Good spot, Mark. I'd forgotten about the serial/parallel question.

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Serial/parallel, what does this mean, i am not familiar with these expressions when purchasing?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
The early MTS systems (MTS1 and the first MTS2 sets) used serial transmission of command pulses for things like sound and other functions - if you pressed function 1 (eg: for the whistle) it would send a single pulse, function 2 would send two pulses in succession and so on. This is why locos with older LGB digital sound systems have slow reactions to the higher function numbers - eg: if you press function 5, it takes a good couple of seconds for the system to transmit five pulses and for the loco to read and decode them before the correct sound is operated. With Parallel functions, which were introduced partway through the life of MTS2 and all of MTS3, the system sends a different signal for every function command, so the delay is avoided and each command is acted on almost instantly. The other advantage of parallel is that occasionally with the old serial system, one or more pulses could get "lost" or misread in transmission due to poor pickup, dirty track etc - so you could actually end up getting a different function that the one you wanted because the decoder miscounted the pulses; obviously with parallel this is avoided.

All modern parallel systems have the option to be switched back to serial mode for particular locos, eg: if you have one with an old-type sound system.

Edit: the fact that the change between serial and parallel occurred partway through the sales life of MTS2 is why you have to be especially careful when buying items of that vintage: if you're looking at used MTS2 kit, look for either a round black sticker with a white "P" or, with later ones, a "p" suffix on the part number (which must be on EVERY component of the setup - central station, remote(s), and wireless transmitter/receiver if used). MTS1 kit will always be serial only, MTS3 gear will always be parallel. All Massoth kit is parallel of course, but has the selectable serial function on an individual loco basis.

Jon.