Winter steam on the L&L

dgt

STEAM
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Excellent series of shots, Neil.
Just got to get rid of the final 3" of slushy snow and we'll be up and running here.
All the Best from the Lincs East Coast.

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Great pics Neil, liked them all.:D

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Thanks guys :)

I was bloomin frozen when I finished!

Yes Graham, the drain cocks (re-direced exhaust really) look good in the cold air. Keep the engine a bit cleaner too.

Keith, sorry the Fowler didn't feature, but the crews object to the colonial cab in the cold weather! (aka lunch intervened!). The Jack didn't get out either, but did last week!
d14ff4c7820e454396fc033171b25233.jpg

[attachment deleted by admin]

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Super pictures Neil, I hope the knees recover quickly.
Two questions, how far away is Leodest Road station from Leodest village and is the distance anything to do with the local noise abatement society? ;)

New Haven Neil

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
E

Elmtree Line

New Haven Neil said:
Thanks guys :)

I was bloomin frozen when I finished!

Yes Graham, the drain cocks (re-direced exhaust really) look good in the cold air. Keep the engine a bit cleaner too.

Keith, sorry the Fowler didn't feature, but the crews object to the colonial cab in the cold weather! (aka lunch intervened!). The Jack didn't get out either, but did last week!
images

Hi Neil.

Yes the Fowler is a little open for the winter months isn't it!!!!

Drivers on the Elmtree Line tend to opt for a Lady Anne during the winter, Linda is a bit draughty, especially tender first too!!

Apparently talks have been had about another Lady Anne joining the fleet, as bosses on the line are looking to go all steam, with the odd diesel excursion.

2010 could be very interesting :D

Sea Lion

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Isle of Man
Best answers
Looks like great fun Neil, some lovely pics. Has No 8 had a lining job done recently? If so can we have a side view and info on how you did it please? From the 3/4 view it looks very good, a certain 1930's IMR paint scheme?

Happy steamings,

John

New Haven Neil

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Sea Lion said:
Looks like great fun Neil, some lovely pics. Has No 8 had a lining job done recently? If so can we have a side view and info on how you did it please? From the 3/4 view it looks very good, a certain 1930's IMR paint scheme?

Happy steamings,

John

I see your endeavours at Groudle doing Santa trains have seen you miss some developments at the L&L!!

Dubh Lacha has been lined out using some GRS waterslide lining, varnished with Windsor & Newton acrylic. New custom crests and lettering from Chris Moxham, who used to be on the old forum as STOP. He's going to do me some better lining decals too....he's very good.

Not a hard job really, just tedious, looks pretty OK though - and as you say not a million miles away from the old Manx scheme. The number on the back of the bunker is from a Rio Grande sheet.....very cosmopolitan around here, you know!!

NHN
c260ea15303c45989289f9872f3aa8a9.jpg

22b328f3487b412fb065b943b0571e0b.jpg

ed11a501082e4ddc96c5bd49b43231be.jpg

DavidLJ

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Fraggle Rock aka Isle of Man
Best answers
Nice and steam shots from down the north! ...and I love the finish on the new locomotive, looks very realistic :clap:

New Haven Neil

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Thank you David - I'm getting better at it!

The lining etc has given the loco quite a lift, I don't like the Accu green, I think it's too dull, but it looks OK with some embellishments. I was very close to painting it black!

The VoR is next up for the treatment, but I need new lining, as the GRS stuff doesnt have outside corners, as it's black/orange, not orange/black/orange, and the VoR has a funny bit on the front of the tanks that needs to turn both ways!

The crests were really for my coaches, (can just see one in this shot) but I got Chris do do a load of them so they are going on the locos too!
a05358ed19b64f2482da0d647de2b7a5.jpg

Midwalesstokie

Registered
24 Oct 2009
South Wales
Best answers
The VoR loco is beautiful Neil, one day I'll have to get one. I know you like your Accucraft locos but the VoR tank is so much more impressive.

New Haven Neil

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
It's a lovely model James, but to be honest if I ever had to sell one of my locos it would be the first to go!

Not really sure why...just one of those things. With the bigger wheels it;s harder to control at low speeds than my ohter locos, unless you hang a very heavy train on it - then it's quite fun. The Fowler remains my favourite!
88e778d5231d42eb9583b96a3b518d03.jpg

DavidLJ

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Fraggle Rock aka Isle of Man
Best answers
I really like the crests a lot, and quite fancy some for the Sulby Glen Railway stock. Just need to design a suitable crest now. :thinking:

DavidLJ said:
I really like the crests a lot, and quite fancy some for the Sulby Glen Railway stock. Just need to design a suitable crest now. :thinking:

The Midland Railway

MirrorCrest%20cleaned.gif

took their inspiration from the Evensford and Midland :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
So like the Midland your line serves Birmingham, Derby, Bristol, Leicester and London, but serves Evensford instead of Leeds.
Who's going to tell Zman of this omission? :rofl:

Neil Robinson said:
So like the Midland your line serves Birmingham, Derby, Bristol, Leicester and London, but serves Evensford instead of Leeds.
Who's going to tell Zman of this omission? :rofl:

Well obviously Neil. And if you look carefuly, you will see that the Evensford arms has a certain commonality with Kettering...

All important cities are served by the EMR. Except Leeds. :rofl:

And I was hoping you could tell him.:)

New Haven Neil

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
johnsaintjim said:
Except it won't post the EMR's logo on the same post???

Edit... or at all in fact. Very strange. Try this way...

I give up. Won't post it at all. Ah well, for those who may have 0.1% interest in it, it's at

http://www.evensfordandmidland.co.uk/history/the-crest
Nice website, Graham, very nicely laid out! Familiar photo of Mel's railway.....;)