window cutting

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
I want to build a railcar and will need to cut two windows in the front. For waht ever reason, its something Ive never been able to do well. The plastic will need to quite thick. Also to get a flush glazing look I will prob laminate some sheets together. So any tips? What tools do I need? If anyone can so a step-by-step guide please do. I nevr seem to get the cuts out even, if using a knife I tend to score to far as well! All makes me sound very silly I know! Also what heat will plastic card cope with?

thanks,

Si.

p.s a link to what I will building- in live steam.

http://www.lner.info/locos/Railcar/sentinel.shtml

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
oh and any ideas on how to make the roof dome to, will be most helpfull.:D

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers
Ello, I dont know why your windows need to be so thick, but here is one solution. I made two frames at the back of the cab here, one slightly larger than the window aparture, which is glued behind and another slighlty bigger that is glued on top. This means that the glazing is slid down into the frames without the use of any glue and they wont fall out over time when the usual CA has gone brittle. I grant that they are not flush, but preety close if you use a thin cladding over the main body.

For domes you can use ends of Kinder Eggs, Some evergreen tube with old coat/jacket buttons or plumbing plastic 3/4 waste pipe caps. I Dont know how big they have to be as you dont say.
cabopen-800.jpg

opentop-800.jpg

cab-800.jpg

Bye bye

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Mark out the windows on the reverse side of the plastic. Score about halfway through using a new blade. Then cut diagonaly from corner to corner scoring until a cut breaks through. Then press the four triangles of plasic out gently. If you cut accurately there will be mimimum trimmimg to do. I have done dozens this way.

dragon

24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
If you do need to laminate use three layers. The centre one fom clear plastic then this one will not need the window cutting out. Just the two outer ones. Lots of coaches are built this way.

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers
Ah, I was being thick, I read as the glass had to be thck and your attempting to laminate that. Freds right on there.

dragon

24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Woderwick said:
Ah, I was being thick, I read as the glass had to be thck and your attempting to laminate that. Freds right on there.

Tis true. I am.