Where to buy a basic 18v A/C Transformer Power Supply?

leeandoona

Registered
17 Sep 2012
North Weald, Epping
Best answers
Newbie question alert! Sorry if this is really stupid but for some reason I'm having a hard time finding a place to buy a basic 18v A/C Transformer/Power Supply to be used to power my Track Accessories Ring Main (e.g. Points, Signals,Shuttle Buffers etc.)

I'm looking for 18v A/C Transformer as this is what is recommended by David Pratt in the Garden Railway series with Mark Found for use as 'Alternating Current both ways for switches, Points and track accessories'. I've scoured eBay, Amazon, Google Shopping and a few of the hobbiest websites and can't seem to find this apparently simple bit of kit? Any suggestions? I'm assuming I'm simply searching for the wrong thing given the total lack of web search results! ??? He doesn't show the device but I imagine it looks like a regular power pack/supplier pack for a PC or mobile phone charger but with two naked wires coming out the end?

Cheers!

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Not sure if voltage is critical, but Gaugemaster do a range of 16v ac transformers. Both cased and uncased available. Standard type of thing for controllers, motorised points, signals etc as used for the smaller gauges.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
If you go for the Gaugemaster products, then look at these;

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=GMC-M1&style=main&strType=&Mcode=Gaugemaster+M1

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=gmc-m2

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=GMC-M12S&style=main&strType=&Mcode=Gaugemaster+M12S

Otherwise, look for an LGB 50110 transformer on ebay or in a local model shop;

http://www.champex-linden.de/lgb_produktdatenbank_d-e/produkt.nsf/bede3443927b513dc125691c0045fb87/693699f5d723a8a0c1256936003d15ee02ec.html?OpenDocument

I don't think the LGB 50110 are made new anymore, but a second hand one, properly tested, should be fine....

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
Take a look at MAPLIN they sometimes list power supply units for various applications.

One thing I would add dont skimp on your power supply, although in this instance I appreciate you mau not be looking for one to power locos etc?

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Have you estimated the current requirement you'll need? Point motors are only momentary (and probably need about 1 amp), but all the signals and other constant stuff will soon add up. Once you start looking for a cased unit with decent power output the price starts to go up quite alarmingly. Gizzy's suggestion of the cased Gaugemaster M2 at 2.5 amps is probably reasonable to consider.

I have a 10 amp unit I use for my DCC system power, it came from Digitrains. It's excellent but it's £95! Probably overkill for your needs.
http://www.digitrains.co.uk/ecommerce/search/10-amp-transformer.aspx

There are lots of 18v laptop supplies etc. out there but they tend to be DC output bricks.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
All my bits run off a 1A LGB 50170 transformer. The type that was once supplied with train sets before PWM power packs were used. These can be picked up quite cheaply from dealers or ebay. Usually about £30 including a controller.

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
An LGB one is here....

http://www.grsuk.com/5_AMP_Power_Supply_L50110-M8024

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
I used Gaugemaster controllers for my layout (outdoors, analogue, EPL) and the 2.5 amp controllers were fine for single motored locos. When I bought a couple of twin motored locos for the mainline the units started to struggle especially in summer as they overheated (mainly my fault as they were kept in a shed in sunlight and little ventilation) so I bought one of the 5 amp controllers - these weren't available when I bought the 2.5 amp controllers otherwise I would have bought one straightaway.

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=GMC-10LGB5F&style=&strType=&Mcode=Gaugemaster+10LGB5F

I know other people have had bad experiences with Gaugemaster products but I found them to be reliable with absolutely no problems.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
pugwash said:
I know other people have had bad experiences with Gaugemaster products but I found them to be reliable with absolutely no problems.
I had one I was given repaired FoC by Gaugemaster.

They have a lifetime guarantee....

leeandoona

Registered
17 Sep 2012
North Weald, Epping
Best answers
This is fantastic help everyone, thanks very much indeed. I know the Garden Railway series is a few years back now so I guess I shouldn't expect to pick one up for next to nothing. Now I know what to look for and where to look I'm spoiled for choice. :-

I actually haven't added up what I'd need in terms of amps. I don't think it will be too much initially but then I think it's wise to invest for a bit of development! The gaugemaster options seem sensible, I've also seen something from USA Trains that combines Track and Point power to a remote controller but I think it might actually be a bit too immense for my needs at the moment. Although it did look really rather clever.

I'll have a scout about and then let you know what I pick up.

leeandoona

Registered
17 Sep 2012
North Weald, Epping
Best answers
Found this one on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gaugemaster-Model-M2-Cased-Transformer-/151466430077?hash=item23441a4e7d

But I figured at the price I may as well cough up the extra few quid and go for the M2 from Gaugemaster as presumably I'll have a better level of aftersales using that route. Does anyone know if there is a specific type of wiring I should be using or will any reasonable low volt wiring be okay such as car wiring?

Cheers all, I feel like I'm getting somewhere now! :happy:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Regarding wiring..
You can use 'car wiring', but it will be expensive from most of the usual outlets..
The advantage is you can get various colours, but it WILL fade, and get brittle if not protected from the sun.

I would invest in a 50mtr. (or 100mtr.) drum of 1.5mm two-core black-sheathed flex from your local electrical wholesaler.. You will use it all eventually, and can either run it 'as is', or better yet use cheap garden hose (buried in ballast?), to allow you to change things later.

Run it to decent IP rated enclosures, terminate on chocolate-block, or tagstrip, and invest in a label printer.. Label EVERYTHING, AND make notes and draw diagrams. - You will need these in X years time when something needs fixing, or you change things!

leeandoona

Registered
17 Sep 2012
North Weald, Epping
Best answers
PhilP said:
Regarding wiring..
You can use 'car wiring', but it will be expensive from most of the usual outlets..
The advantage is you can get various colours, but it WILL fade, and get brittle if not protected from the sun.

I thought of the car wiring only because I'm able to buy at motor trade prices but I'll compare these against your suggestion as I agree it will all get used up in the end. Good call on labeling too! I'll follow that advise as I know how scat brained I am at the best of times!!

liam0404

Registered
9 Oct 2014
Hereford
Best answers
I picked up an LGB 51080 for £10 off eBay last week, it's only 0.5 Amp, but will be enough to power four points connected to an LGB switch box. Just got to look around and be patient. Or accept fate and fork out for something new.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
leeandoona said:
I've also seen something from USA Trains that combines Track and Point power to a remote controller but I think it might actually be a bit too immense for my needs at the moment. Although it did look really rather clever.
I think you are referring to the Aristocraft Train Engineer?

Which will need a PSU anyhow.

I had this system before I changed to DCC MTS. A very good system but now 'old tech', but if you can get it for a good price....

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Or you could run your wiring round the line in Electrical Trunking as I have done. Protects any colour coding. I normally use Black and Black with White Stripe for last few inches to Track Collection. Joins to Main Runs being conected by Soldering and Heat Shrink.

1st pic shows trunking open whilst work going on. Short top sections keep all in place whilst I add stuff. This is mostly for my Air Pipe, but some wires could have gone in there.

image.jpg

The one below shows the Trunking that joins the Lower Shed to the Top of the Garden Shed by the House. It contains Air Pipe and Electrical Wires.

image.jpg

Where it is visible scenically I normally paint either Gray or Matt Black.

JonD