Wheels for LGB 'Casey'

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Any road-up:

I do not think you will find a 'complete' axle/gear/wheel assembly, but you do not need it.

The axles will be fine, so you need a new gear, and if you are being 'really' finnicky, possibly one new wheel? - I think from what you have said, one wheels was not square, on the axle. This I would expect if the gear was worn, as it would slip/jump, and that would put pressure (via the rods) on the wheel,as things became stiff, or actually jammed.

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, right, I see what you mean. Here is a pic of the screw.

IMGP3788.JPG

Its a hexagonal head, about 15mm long and about 2mm at the thread diameter. Not self tapping.

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
The axles will be fine, so you need a new gear, and if you are being 'really' finnicky, possibly one new wheel? - I think from what you have said, one wheels was not square, on the axle. This I would expect if the gear was worn, as it would slip/jump, and that would put pressure (via the rods) on the wheel,as things became stiff, or actually jammed.

Ooooh, now that looks interesting. You are right, I'd be quite happy to just get the correct cog. I don't even need a wheel as I could most likely make use of one (or the pair) from the wheelset I bought.

Of course, my big question.... is this a pic of the cog I need... and if so, how do I go about ordering them?

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Many thanks for these links guys, this forum really is great for practical help and assistance.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Many thanks for these links guys, this forum really is great for practical help and assistance.
Yes we're fully geared up to help, once we get our teeth into something

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Another success to notch-up then?

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
CL30338 has 34 teeth.
CL30049 has 28 teeth and is for Toytrain steam locos (i.e. Otto & Oho).

I have both in stock (though CL30049 is not listed on the website yet).

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:

perpetualnewbie

Registered
30 Apr 2019
United Kingdom
Best answers
Thanks for the measurements. Sorry I didn't get to this at the weekend. 28 teeth at that size is not as close as I'd expected to a round-number "module" metric gear size but it's almost bang on Imperial 48DP. I don't think I have one of those on hand I'm afraid but if all else fails, it might be worth trying a cheap generic 28 tooth 48dp gear and seeing if it meshes, since they're quite common in RC cars and go for a few £ at most. But it looks as though all else has not failed and you have a good chance of getting an exact part.

I'm astonished by the price on that elriwa.de link... seems like they don't really want to sell them. Muns' shop seems like a much better bet.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Problem is:
That link has focused you all on the 28 tooth gear..
The OP requires the 34 tooth gear, and depending on the Postie, should be sorted?

perpetualnewbie

Registered
30 Apr 2019
United Kingdom
Best answers
"fine cog has 28 teeth, the coarse cog has 20 teeth"... I thought that meant it was the 28t (which looks obviously very worn) that wanted replacement, with the 20 being too fine? Never mind, all fingers crossed that it's sorted.

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
As soon as I have attempted the repair rest assured I will post here with the result :)

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Problem is:
That link has focused you all on the 28 tooth gear..
The OP requires the 34 tooth gear, and depending on the Postie, should be sorted?

Are you sure Phil????

The OP stated that his rather worn gear had 28 teeth...

The fine cog has 28 teeth, the coarse cog has 20 teeth. Both are 16mm diameter and 5mm width.

The 38tooth gear has a larger diameter, ~19mm vs ~15mm.

So I think the problem is yours :)

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Oooops! :(:blush:

Apologies All! - Alan, are you sure you want to keep this?
PhilP.

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Apologies All! - Alan, are you sure you want to keep this?

yeah, I'll add them to my spares box, its not like there were any vast fortunes involved :)

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I'm sure you all like a happy ending. The gears from Mark at Garden Rail Outlet were the correct ones, and once fitted (and jings, that's no as easy as I thought it would be), Casey runs smoothly once again.

My thanks to everyone who took the time to respond.

Here are a few pictures of her first run after returning from the workshop.

_01.JPG_02.JPG_03.jpg_04.JPG