What's up with my Meyer, then?

RH Prague

Central European. the station pub is Czech !!
28 Oct 2009
Prague
Best answers
Country flag
So, the Meyer is the jewel in the crown of the collection I acquired from Norway last autumn.
If you care to take a look at (and listen to) the video you should hear a rhythmic knocking sound. It only occurs when sound is activated so it is an issue with the sound module. It also disappears when speed rises above level 10 on the Navi. The sound module itself looks to be the original LGB factory fitted, as all commands correspond with what's in the manual (model 21842). Any thoughts on what it might be and how cost-effectiv it might be to try and resolve it?

Also, you may notice that the previous owner undertook some cosmetic changes, which i consider to be regrettable but it was his loco Among other things he has removed the full loco number on the cab (and also on the front and the rear), and the "DR" above it on the cab. My question is, are transfers/decals of these legends available as spares? Or do we know of anyone who produces numberplates to order - I seem to recall something but that the erson was only offering British outline

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
I have a video of the actual loco in its DR days and it knocks just like the LGB model. The loco was clapped out. The sound is correct for that loco.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Perhaps it was a recording of a big-end going for authenticity

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Even my little 009 4-6-0 NG Baldwin has clanking rods sounds as it drifts with the regulator off. Seems the thing now with DCC decoder sound cards and the availability of the real loco to record from. Mind you the clank on the Meyer sounds a little crude for that. But then that might have been the height of sophistication when that LGB loco was made.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Perhaps it was a recording of a big-end going for authenticity
I think it was a recording of 99 1568 before overhaul.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
So, the Meyer is the jewel in the crown of the collection I acquired from Norway last autumn.
If you care to take a look at (and listen to) the video you should hear a rhythmic knocking sound. It only occurs when sound is activated so it is an issue with the sound module. It also disappears when speed rises above level 10 on the Navi. The sound module itself looks to be the original LGB factory fitted, as all commands correspond with what's in the manual (model 21842). Any thoughts on what it might be and how cost-effectiv it might be to try and resolve it?

Also, you may notice that the previous owner undertook some cosmetic changes, which i consider to be regrettable but it was his loco Among other things he has removed the full loco number on the cab (and also on the front and the rear), and the "DR" above it on the cab. My question is, are transfers/decals of these legends available as spares? Or do we know of anyone who produces numberplates to order - I seem to recall something but that the erson was only offering British outline
I saw a few of the Sachen Meyers in East Germany before the Iron Curtain came down and they do indeed have an unusual knocking sound when running slow. So the Sound Chip is correct.

RH Prague

Central European. the station pub is Czech !!
28 Oct 2009
Prague
Best answers
Country flag
Well, well, thanks for the answers, which certainly were not what I was anticipating, although I could not imagine what kind of fault the sound module would have which disappears above a certain speed. I have to say, it doesn't sound great. I am anticipating a few "what's wrong with this loco" comments from the neighbours whom I have promised a kids' visit day soon.

65 1057 65 1057 great tip about the shop with transfers, thanks a lot.