What trams are available.

Lavandines

Registered
6 May 2014
BRIGHTON
Best answers
Lovely trams. I am looking to buy a motorised 16mm or G Scale for a new tramway. I don't really want to buy a kit. Has anyone any ideas/advice to offer please ? Thanks

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Lovely trams. I am looking to buy a motorised 16mm or G Scale for a new tramway. I don't really want to buy a kit. Has anyone any ideas/advice to offer please ? Thanks
Second hand LGB Trams can be had for quite sensible prices at the moment. They are great runners and well worth seaking out. New LGB ones are silly money these days.

Many also use the Bachman ones that look nice but I have found them to be suspect in the running department. Though it is quite simple to replace the power unit with an LGB Motor Block.

Reactions: 1 user

No72

Registered
21 Dec 2014
Melobourne Australia
Best answers
Second hand LGB Trams can be had for quite sensible prices at the moment. They are great runners and well worth seaking out. New LGB ones are silly money these days.

Many also use the Bachman ones that look nice but I have found them to be suspect in the running department. Though it is quite simple to replace the power unit with an LGB Motor Block.
Have you done the conversion from Bachman to LGB motor blocks? If so a "How To" would be spiffing...

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I think the USA Trains* 'block is probably easier?
YMMV of course.

*There was a time when it was nigh-on impossible to get a LGB motor-block..

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I have moved these recent posts to this new thread because it is more suited here.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Argyle Loco will soon have a 1:32 tram and trailer with live steam and electric versions available.

alw467.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Not quite available yet..
Mamod are bringing out a battery electric tram-loco in the near future..

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
The LGB motor block has a different wheelbase to the Bachmann tram. Also it is much higher & needs the floor of the tram cut away. The USA motor block, as used on NW2, is the same wheelbase & is much easier to fit.
The biggest trouble with some Bachmann trams was splitting of the gear wheels.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Not quite available yet..
Mamod are bringing out a battery electric tram-loco in the near future..
I put my name down for one at the show yesterday. The one on show at the Mamod stand looked very good.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
The LGB motor block has a different wheelbase to the Bachmann tram. Also it is much higher & needs the floor of the tram cut away. The USA motor block, as used on NW2, is the same wheelbase & is much easier to fit.
The biggest trouble with some Bachmann trams was splitting of the gear wheels.

One of the Hartland motor blocks may work as well. Best to contact them for details because I don't think they are listed on their website.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Have you done the conversion from Bachman to LGB motor blocks? If so a "How To" would be spiffing...
No sorry but I have seen plenty at shows and indeed the wheelbase being shorter is an issue. All of my former Bachman Trams have now become non powered Trailers!

No72

Registered
21 Dec 2014
Melobourne Australia
Best answers
I have seen them remotored with 2 motors 1 on each axle using a brushless motor and OTS gears. I fiddled around with mine and put a 16V 1 farad capacitor across the brushes. It acts as an electronic flywheel.

No72

Registered
21 Dec 2014
Melobourne Australia
Best answers
Argyle Loco will soon have a 1:32 tram and trailer with live steam and electric versions available.

alw467.jpg
I built my own.... I tried an 0-4-0 live steam chassis and boiler but could not get it to run at slow enough speed. They came in quite a variation of styles.Baldwin tram motor (Medium).jpg

Reactions: 3 users

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Got some of the Aristocraft original PCC cars a few years ago but only run then on analogue (at the Romney Marsh MES) and not yet got round to converting them to dcc.

TramsOnParade-01.jpg

Bachmann have also done some bogie De Witt tramcars of which some of the originals are still running in Milan and in San Francisco.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Photo showing how USA trains motor fits under Bachmann tram.
Photo 7 (Small).jpg

Reactions: 2 users

itsmcgee

Registered
18 Apr 2012
Spokane Washington USA
Best answers
Country flag
The use of the USA NW2 block also makes decoder installation easy.
trolly.jpg

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Here's one I made earlier with a decoder.Photo 8 (Medium).jpg

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Here's one I found with the LGB motor block. The wheels don't line up & half the motor is in the saloon.pgt3a (Medium).jpg

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Here's one I found with the LGB motor block. The wheels don't line up & half the motor is in the saloon.View attachment 235606
For those that are offended by the lack of match on the Chassis Parts it is relatively easy to cut them up as seen here on a Van that uses Bachman Chassis bits for a Tramway type of wagon.image.jpeg
This one of course has been lengthened a little but not much problem to shorten them either.

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Here's one I made earlier with a decoder.View attachment 235605
Do you run DCC in the garden, I ask because on starting in the larger scale I thought battery would be the most reliable way forward for me.

I'll be using a combination of steel and nickel silver rail, It would be interesting to hear what others do?

David