What track and where?

steves

Registered
7 Sep 2011
Cambridge & Peterborough UK
Best answers
Country flag
A mine of information on this...... amazing forum :) :) :)
It would appear that Piko is out of the running on R5 track as there is none in the country at the moment, only what individual shops may hold in stock.
I can get LGB R3 track which is similar and compatible at a similar cost, so thats ok.

Straights, oh dear, what a pain.... i wanted flexi track so i could use it initially on straights then use it for any odd radius when it gets laid down properly, the thing is, that would probably be Accucraft as they have the best price in that arena, LGB and Piko do them, but at a premium. Then LGB do some cheap straights, but this limits me if i want to use it later and dont find a use for it :( Decisions decisions....next retailer I guess, lol :)

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Must admit I've been very pleased with the Accucraft AMS/AML flexible track from TrackShack.

I note Keith T's comment about the rail profile, but to be honest I only ever noticed this problem with a batch that a mate bought a few years ago - it had a slightly taller and rounder rail section. The stuff I've had from TrackShack in the last couple of years has been good value and an excellent match for my LGB rail, and I'll certainly continue using it when I come to the next round of track laying. The AMS/AML rail seems to tarnish less quickly than LGB rail.

If you look in this thread (similar question!), you'll see some shots of AML .v. LGB track that I posted.

http://www.gscalecentral.net/tm?m=85625&high=aml < Link To http://www.gscalecentral....x?m=85625&high=aml

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Well, I reckon you should go for the AMS track Steve, from what Nick has said, but also bearing in mind Keith's comment.

It does seem to be good value, and it's British!

Trackshack is also a recommended vendor....

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:

Trackshack is also a recommended vendor....

er... AML = American Main Line (and it's probably made in China!)
http://www.americanmainline.com/tra...ack service was excellent and rapid delivery.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I can endorse TrackShack, always very friendly and helpful and stuff invariably arrives next day.

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
Lots of track makes mentioned and suggested values of respective dealers. One factor not mentioned is delivery charges. Track is heavy and can cost a lot to deliver. Some dealers, such as Dragon GScale, offer very low delivery charges.

steves

Registered
7 Sep 2011
Cambridge & Peterborough UK
Best answers
Country flag
Right, a HUGE thank you to everyone.

I contacted TrackShack (which is also where I got my Ragleth from) and he has sorted me out with a box of 4' radius track and a box 3' flexi track, so all is good. He assured me it is 100% compatible with the likes of LGB and PIKO so I shouldn't need to use clamps or do any filing, but I bought some clamps anyway and some extra joiners, just in case of any isssue down the line, so to speak :)

Just waiting on the postman tomorrow :) Oh, and very cheap delivery which was also a pleasant suprise :D

Once again, THANK YOU

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:
ntpntpntp said:
Gizzy said:

T

er... AML = American Main Line (and it's probably made in China!)
http://www.americanmainline.com/track.htm
Thanks Nick, I thought it was made by Accucraft UK themselves....
The sleepers have Made in China moulded into them but who knows where the track is made and where it is assembled?
I have some LGB points with sleepers marked Made in Germany but the box says Made in Hungary!

facade

Registered
25 Aug 2011
Best answers
I have a mixture of LGB and PECO (not piko) track that has been down 9 years now, and gets a fair amount of sunlight (the plastic killer) and is still fine, hasn't turned brittle yet.

The piko G scale track hasn't been made for long enough to tell if it will last, but their buildings seem to.

Dieseldonkey

Registered
16 Mar 2010
Near Edinburgh, Scotland
Best answers
Glendale Junction are also the importer for Trainline45 set track, flexi and points. I use this along with LGB, Piko and Aristocraft. Aristo seems to need less cleaning but is becoming very expensive. The brass is more yellow in colour and the sleepers are black not brown.

I have two Piko R5 points. (Pikos R5 are the same size as LGB R3). One of which has needed servicing to maintain conductivity. There seems to be some discussion about this on here.

I have two Trainline45 points in R2 and one in R3. So far with the exception of screws coming loose they have been reliable. They have the advantage of a brass point on the frog allowing the frog to be made live should you require.

I've just purchased some second hand Tenmille flexi track. Visually I think its the nicest looking. The sleepers are not as glossy and are a bit larger. The rail profile is different though with a narrower foot. Tenmille supply adaptor fishplates to allow joining with other makes.

AMS and Trainline 45 seems to be the best value just now with AMS working out at around £3.80 a foot.

I got my AMS rails from Sandy Taylor who runs Scottish Garden Railways. At the time of purchase he matched track shack on price. He' s very knowledgeable, provides good old fashioned customer service and is a nice chap to boot. What more could you ask for.