G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have this Newquida loco that just doesn't fit in with my theme so it's really is quite useless, for a while I have been kicking around an idea of making a Garret style loco out of it.

After a bit of mucking around I have come up with this idea that may just work.
Its a tank engine but Mallet style very loosely based on a Swiss tank Mallet.

Swiss Tank Mallet.jpg

It is planned to use 2 Stainz motion works under it (I mean really how many Stainz does a railway need?)

Tank Mallet Concept.JPG

Tank Mallet Concept 1.JPG

Any thoughts/suggestions/experiences about how to mount the motion works particularly how to allow them to swivel?

Last edited:

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
I have this Newquida loco that just doesn't fit in with my theme so it's really is quite useless, for a while I have been kicking around an idea of making a Garret style loco out of it.

After a bit of mucking around I have come up with this idea that may just work.
Its a tank engine but Mallet style very loosely based on a Swiss tank Mallet.

View attachment 264617

It is planned to use 2 Stainz motion works under it (I mean really how many Stainz does a railway need?)

View attachment 264615

View attachment 264616

Any thoughts/suggestions/experiences about how to mount the motion works particularly how to allow them to swivel?
Jon (dunnyrail) did something similar a couple of years ago - I supplied him with a second body which he used to stretch the one he had. From memory i think he used a couple of LGB 2-4-0 chassis. Might be worth messaging him so he can give you a link to the appropriate thread.

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
for the pivot, what I’ve done you is makea u shape bracket, And then glue an m4 bolt with the thread pointing up,

This is for my Garrett loco I still haven't finished, I think that if you were to use Otto chassis it would be easier as there quite a bit lower in height, and means the loco can be kept lower in height

Dan

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I think that if you were to use Otto chassis it would be easier as there quite a bit lower in height, and means the loco can be kept lower in height

Would the motion / valve-gear be 'better' from an Otto, as well? :wondering:

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting bash.
This might help to visualise. I'm not too sure if you can get clearance for motor block/s to pivot. It may still be a bit high going by the buffer.
On a true mallet, the rear block would be fixed but for R1's maybe they both need to pivot.

HarzMalletBash.jpg

Last edited:

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Jon (dunnyrail) did something similar a couple of years ago - I supplied him with a second body which he used to stretch the one he had. From memory i think he used a couple of LGB 2-4-0 chassis. Might be worth messaging him so he can give you a link to the appropriate thread.
Struggled to find it but got there in the end, now put the thread on my watch list!

oops sorry Mike started looking before reading all the thread!

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting bash.
This might help to visualise. I'm not too sure if you can get clearance for motor block/s to pivot. It may still be a bit high going by the buffer.
On a true mallet, the rear block would be fixed but for R1's maybe they both need to.

View attachment 264633
Thank You for cropping my picture
That is exactly what I am thinking of doing after trimming the Newquida chassis which has an appointment booked with a Dremel tool for some "minor" trimming.
The "snow plough" in the centre will go as well to give some clearance.
I just have to build pivot points for the motion works.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Perhaps you could paint the sides of the motor blocks red it so will look more the part. :think:

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I am now looking again at a Garret type of loco, it's procrastination city in the shed at the moment Mallet or Garret that is the question.
Picture of a mock up for a Garret below.

Garret mock up 2.JPG

Still trying to find something that will glue to the LGB motor block plastic so I can make a pivot point.
I have tried "Plastic Magic and MEK but to now avail.
I may have to resort to screwing something to the block, but with limited area to drill a hole reinforcing it with a glue would really help.
I really do not want to open up the clam shell blocks to put bolts in if I can really help it.

Reactions: 1 user

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
The Garratt makes for something interesting although perhaps a whimsy for the prototype railway.
I like the idea though. :clap:
Keep your inner pivot a little between the drivers and the pilots before and after each cylinder.

Last edited:

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
I am now looking again at a Garret type of loco, it's procrastination city in the shed at the moment Mallet or Garret that is the question.
Picture of a mock up for a Garret below.

View attachment 264804

Still trying to find something that will glue to the LGB motor block plastic so I can make a pivot point.
I have tried "Plastic Magic and MEK but to now avail.
I may have to resort to screwing something to the block, but with limited area to drill a hole reinforcing it with a glue would really help.
I really do not want to open up the clam shell blocks to put bolts in if I can really help it.
Don't know if you can get this over there GAP. I still haven't tried it on LGB plastic.
Edit: Just been outside to check the repair I did and it's still holding strong. I've used Gorilla glue in the past WITHOUT success on LGB products. It didn't seem any better than normal and much cheaper superglue.

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Is the NQ loco made from Luran? - The plastics LGB use..

Technicoll 8008 is my weapon of choice for this:

PhilP.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I think that the Newquid plastic is very different to the LGB stuff and readily stuck to whatever plasticard I was glueing to it when I did my bash. As for glueing to the chassis for pivot points I would prefer to use screws, a quick dismantle if the chassis will show the copious amounts of fresh air where screws can go. I would use self tappers not much thicker that the depth needed.

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I think that the Newquid plastic is very different to the LGB stuff and readily stuck to whatever plasticard I was glueing to it when I did my bash. As for glueing to the chassis for pivot points I would prefer to use screws, a quick dismantle if the chassis will show the copious amounts of fresh air where screws can go. I would use self tappers not much thicker that the depth needed.

What I am trying to glue to is the LGB plastic it is probably grease impregnated as well.
I think bolts/screws are going to be the way to go.

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
The Garratt makes for something interesting although perhaps a whimsy for the prototype.
I like the idea though. :clap:
Keep your inner pivot a little between the drivers and the pilots before and after each cylinder.

The body will most likely get some modifications, the glaring one being the coal bunker that must go, it makes no sense to have a tender and a bunker. The tanks can stay because I can explain that away as it is in Australia and water is not in abundance in some places.

Could I get a bit more of an explanation on the suggestion in bold, I'm not sure what is meant?

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Could I get a bit more of an explanation on the suggestion in bold, I'm not sure what is meant?

I'm fairly certain the designers of your fictitious garratt would have the central boiler section ends bearing down between the drivers for stability. The lines are approximately where the pivots could be. The heavy tanks need to ideally be directly over them too but will need to be moved fore and aft to accommodate these pivot points. The rear tank usually has a hollow for the fireman which is where the rear pivot would be. So the tanks are roughly in the right position as in your stacked photo except the pilots should be out front and rearmost to help carry the load over the overhanging tanks. They will work to pilot each set of engine drivers for running either direction. Only the largest garratts had additional pilots on the inside near the pivots. They would not be as effective if only on the inside. The central boiler section needs a strong beam end to end as there are no longer frames to support it.

Yeah, the bunker must go.
HarzGarratt00.jpg
The side tanks should really go too. Ironically leaving a huge missing section in the original Newqida locomotive shell. A lower sitting boiler would be better.
Perhaps you could slice the cab away then remove the side tanks. Rebuild the missing lower part of the boiler and drop it down so it sits on or between the beams. The flattened top of the domes are unnecessary and the chimney needs to be extended but looking much better.
HarzGarratt01.jpg

The pivots could be more centered over the drivers. Here the tank/bunker are centered over a single driver. Probably not good for weight distribution which is what Garratts are all about. I think the tank/bunker are a bit long for each driver wheelbase.

HarzGarratt03.jpg

Here the pivots are centered over the drivers and the tank/bunker weight more centered over the drivers.
They have a lower cut-out for the boiler beam to swing from the more centered pivots. (bunker in above images needs this too) The pilots have now been removed.
HarzGarratt04.jpg

Last edited:

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the design ideas I actually think I have a lot of the materials around to do the bottom one, especial;ly a length of PVC pipe which is exactly the same diameter of the boiler.
Half of the bunker has already been removed as well 2 water hatches that will migrate to a Stainz tank engine bash that is running in parallel with this project.
The pivot connection to the motor blocks is sorted (well sorta) I am going to drill holes straight through the side of the blocks at each end where there is a void and put aluminum brackets over the top which will be held by bolts then pop rivet a deck onto them.
The centre beam is easy to make I'll use some plastic moulding and other bits from the junk/spares bucket.
The battery will now have to go into the tender, it was going into the shell which was the reason for leaving the tanks.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
You could also have the cylinders on the inside leaving room for the pilots where they were making the front and rear decks unnecessary. The first Garratt K1 was designed this way although it had no pilot wheels.
Most Garratts afterwards were not built like that though. I think the cylinders and motion directly below the cab access was a issue. Note where the cab steps are.

1920px-K1_works_photograph.jpg

Last edited: