ARIA31

Registered
3 Oct 2017
Toulouse - France
Best answers
Country flag
As suggested on another thread :

"Show us your Track Diagrams"​

in a similar manner, please show us what system control have you implemented on your railroad (briefly)

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Track power that is controlled by Aristocraft Train Engineer radio system (and when that fails, I hook up an old Hammett and Morgan transformer/controller).
I use traditional block wiring for isolating sections. It's simple, and it works.

LGeoB

Registered
12 Dec 2017
Perth, Western Australia
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
DCC: Lenz command station with ethernet, homemade boosters, home made DCC capacitor discharge unit for all turnouts.
Controllers: touchcab running on old iPhones, or Roco Z21 wireless controllers via a homemade Z21 to Lenz Xpressnet - both over wifi.
Lots of Arduinos used!

Geoff

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
All locos are remote controlled using 2.4GHz transmitter/receiver, motor controlled by simple motor controllers (Pololu brand) connected to the receiver.
Directional lighting achieved by wiring LED's via resistor, in opposite polarity for Fwd. and Rev, directly to the motor output of the motor controller.
Chuffs only from sound cards; no bells and whistles at present but the ability is there for connection in the future if I go that way.
All locos have battery onboard no trailing car.
Servo controlled points nd signals planned for the future (probably controlled via either raspberry pi or Arduino once I teach myself programming).

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Zimo, MX10 command station ( 8 + 12 amps, or total 20 amps), MX32FU wireless. Autoreverser DCC specialities (high amperage), Digitrax DS-64 switch decoders controlling 24v solenoid air valves for pneumatic switches. All stainless track.

MX10_front_800.jpg

MX10_back_800.jpg

20160326_190425.jpg

Greg

Hal Farsed

D.P. Gumby.
7 Apr 2014
Staffordshire, England.
Best answers
Country flag
Batteries. With radio control. <EDIT> Oh and gas. I have two steam locos I forgot all about! </EDIT>

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Batteries, Butane and the hand of God

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Märklin CS3, 2 x 100w 60195 power supplies and 60175 boosters, LGB reverse loop module, LGB and Massoth 4 channel and single channel switch decoders. iPhone and Amazon Fire using wifi and Märklin CS3 web controller software.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
My modest Loft Railway now has my Massoth DCC installed, this was more than ample for my Garden Line but that is now all Battery Powered with Fosworks, Deltang and Train Engineer Battery Systems, some of the Fosworks and Train Engineer systems are also Battery DCC technology.

Loft System, note that the red handset is a coloured Massoth one, I got mostly blue Handsets when setting up the system but splashed out for a Red one for when I have visitors so that I could find mine easier if I put it down.
BE7CCF69-68C4-483C-961E-4B20F7762F4E.jpeg
Selection of my Battery Handsets, Fosworks DCC, Fosworks Analogue, Deltang and Train Engineer. There are no external differences of note on the Train Engineer DCC and Analogue versions.
CBD8F657-BCC1-494F-9B33-AF577227C934.jpeg
I use Peter Spoerer (now Fosworks) Handsets for my Roundhouse Steam and that horrible thing on the right is used for my Funkey that I have not yet managed to get working on any other system as yet. To be fair the Funkey is a highly superb machine that has lots of interesting tech installed by Terry Soham who I bought it from, including Servo Uncouplers and lighting that changes by direction. Probably all sortable but just a not got round to it but I did try once and gave up!
6541BA31-0BE3-401F-903C-B02CB421ED8F.jpeg
Below is my Legacy LGB Chip changing system, LGB 2 DCC and a 386 PC. All very old but works on old LGB MTS when I need it to.
7FA9175B-FC7A-4FD7-A722-109080AC4E50.jpeg
Below is my 00 Layout DCC, I hate this Digitrax System it embodies all of the functionality and user antagonistic features that can put people off DCC. Had this been my first DCC system I would have given it up for good and taken up Origami. It takes 3 processes to start up, listed on the label as I get them in the wrong order without it, changing Locomotives is less than intuitive and like many DCC Systems gets locked on Consisted (multiple) Locomotives too easily. When will manufacturers understand that not every Railway in the world constantly runs multiple lash-ups of power. Oh and yes the Manual is about as interesting as reading a Shopping Cataloge from front to back including the prices and all the descriptions. Plus as ever whatever you need to find is never in the index in a way that you can find it thus requiring an amended index for my own use. Rant over!
D999A956-DE55-4541-9237-63FC65CE6C8C.jpeg
Now below is a DCC System that is how they all should be, a Roco Z21. Works seamlessly over WiFi to my iPad or phone, intuitive and easy to use. The only reason that it has not got installed in the 00 layout is that I have an aversion to using Phones or iPads as Controllers, far prefering something that was truly made for the job. Plus the system is far too useful for changing CV’s and of course testing out Locomotives on the 00 and my 45mm Rollers.
6C2F67C3-BBF2-4CA7-8D86-ED3F2A1812AB.jpeg

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Very similar to L LGeoB DCC setup, Lenz LZV100 command station with LH01 rotary or LH100 button wired handsets.

For wireless I have a Lenz Ethernet interface, and an old iPhone 4s (battery just died recently :( ) with Touchpad for wireless handset, or (if I'm running RocRail on my laptop) Android tablet running AndRoc. I have a local non-Internet connected WiFi network in my shed.

Power is from a 100VA bench supply from Maplins (RIP). LGB or Massoth motor and accessory decoders, and Massoth sound decoders. I have just invested in a Massoth PC interface so I can update firmware and sound files on Massoth decoders. I have a short rolling road section of programming track.

This is for an indoor layout with LGB and PIKO brass code 332 track, only 2 or 3 locos on the track at a time and very short trains running slowly, often with lights on and sometimes with a smoke generator. According to the display on the bench supply, current rarely exceeds 1.5A at 19v.

MaybachMD

Registered
18 May 2018
Bromley, Kent
Best answers
Country flag
I understand the points made about duplication in the track Lay-out thread. I just wanted to see if some the huge layouts worked successfully with DCC. I have no axe to grind about which system is best. Like everything else G scale, just do what you want.
This thread is equally interesting and instructive. A lot of it is way beyond my understanding. I just soldered the 2 wires to the track and hoped for the best. As i said in the layout Thread the key to me is having a mobile controller that does not work on wifi as my wifi signal does not reach down the garden. I tried an app on my iPad but the signal died about 2 metres fron the House. If my ECOS broke or I suddenly came into money, I have always fancied Massoth. However, I wouldnt buy anything without advice from the contributors to this forum.
Simon

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I now have a Massoth system, having upgraded from MTS 2 a few years ago.

I also have a couple of battery locos with RC control.

Prior to going DCC, I had analogue control, firstly with a pair of LGB controllers, then later using an ART Train Engineer....

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Simon:

My layout is not huge, but currently 850 feet of track, works flawlessly on DCC, once about every 2 years one or 2 (at most) rail clamps need attention, normally tightening. The expansion around the front of the home, and into storage tracks in the garage will take it a bit over 1,000 feet. All track is stainless.

My feeders are only about once every 30-40 feet, in a couple of places 50-60 feet.

The planters are watered every over day, and water gets all over the rails and pneumatic switch motors

My zimo system reaches all around the house, I put the unit in a weatherproof enclosure, and bought a $15 extension for the antenna. There are 2 wifi mimo units in the house, the wifi works about 2 houses away, so that has coverage too.

If you are running your trains from Wi-fi, extenders are inexpensive, that would be my first recommendation. I love my Zimo system, but it is expensive and not for everyone. The signal reception is exceptional, as you should expect from a top of the line system.

Greg

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Hmm. Currently migrating from a happy 17 year aliegence for my track powered stuff from 10 channel/10amp Aristo/Crest Train Engineer with a thumping Crest 13/18v upto 20 amp power transformer.

I have for a long time run live steam with 2.4 gz RC, 2 stick aircraft type, alongside. The battery bit started infiltrating, hand in hand with sound a few years back - a conversion to cure a rough operating 0-6-0 track powered loco. Along with small hand held transmitters. Although I have a fully clamped up track basically age and the UK, with a line mostly in the shade, has made wholesale move to battery/RC/sound inevitable. Process now ongoing. Max

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
One analogue controller - Helmsman

Some R/C power 99% Deltang.

One live steam

MaybachMD

Registered
18 May 2018
Bromley, Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Greg

Many thanks. I use Zimo decoders but hadn’t thought about them having a control system. I don’t think it is common in the UK, but I have found suppliers. It certainly is expensive. Something to think about though, given your experiences.

Regards

Simon

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
It's one of the few systems that is constantly getting new features, very flexible, and high quality components. Yes, it's probably the most expensive, but i have way more invested in track and trains, so a one time cost is not too bad.

Basically their philosophy of adding features and considering customer feedback is head and shoulders above anything else I can buy.

I actually have 2 of the MX10, so that gives me 40 amps to distribute around the network (since you asked about "huge" layouts), so this allows me to have many locos on at the same time, since sound cards draw current while idling. I have a double-ended switchyard, so this capability of high current allows several locos to be active in the switchyard, and still have plenty of power for a couple trains on the mainline, which does indeed have some nasty grades, often a large train will pull 10 amps on the ruling grade, for about 60 feet.

Anyway, while not huge, I have had to work to find high current components, handle fair distances for wire runs, and need a large wireless coverage area, and with the house in the center it challenges other systems to perform, I previously used NCE, and had to have 3 wireless base stations to get coverage.

Hope this answers some of the questions you raised...

Greg