What slope can I use ?

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
If it is JUST locos into the shed, then how could double heading work, if one loco could not power itself up a slope, then how could two locos power themselves, based on power to weight ratio :)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
If it is JUST locos into the shed, then how could double heading work, if one loco could not power itself up a slope, then how could two locos power themselves, based on power to weight ratio :)
Oh dear now that is a very loaded question. If 2 locomotives are involved with a Train up a gradient, rule of thumb was that the Banker or second loco could increase the Single loco load by roughly 30%. Now I imagine with just loco’s it would get somewhat mire complex. But let is be silly for a while, perhaps a Mallet or Shay could shove a Stainz up the hill but what would be the point of that? And what if you wanted the Mallet up the hill. Though it may or may not manage it on its own depending in the gradient.

palstig

Registered
12 Sep 2016
Rushden
Best answers
Country flag
Just take the bl**dy thing off the track and stick it in the shed like what I do. Problem solved :)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Don't make things too complicated
Ah but what he has not told you is his land grab plan to run a line to his Shed!

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
If it is just one loco at a time into a shed with no wagons or coaches to haul, a gradient of1 in 20 is fine.

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, I consist locos for steep grades too, but the point is to be able to run individual locos up a grade into the work shed, not to be forced to double head them in order to get them into the shed, right? (original post)?

I can show off several locos too:

What's with the sarcasm ?

You didn't "have a go" at Mike in post #13 did you ? - which by the way is an interesting post with some great photos.

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
When i was at furniture college the standard Hight for a dining table top was 28” and calving Hight 32’ just though i would mention it... no idea why it came to mind reading this thread.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
What is with my sarcasm of post #39? Honest answer?

Because it is singularly unhelpful to the OP? (what slopes can I use to get my locos up to my loco shed at workbench height)
Because it makes no sense? (doubleheading locos does not help if the goal is to get a single loco up a marginal grade)
Because it seemed an opportunity to show off? (not just suggesting an unworkable idea, but a picture too)

Take your pick.

I think we should try to help the person who asked for help.

Greg

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Steady on Guys...
:(

palstig

Registered
12 Sep 2016
Rushden
Best answers
Country flag
I think we're on a slippery slope if we're not careful

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
What is with my sarcasm of post #39? Honest answer?

Because it is singularly unhelpful to the OP? (what slopes can I use to get my locos up to my loco shed at workbench height)
Because it makes no sense? (doubleheading locos does not help if the goal is to get a single loco up a marginal grade)
Because it seemed an opportunity to show off? (not just suggesting an unworkable idea, but a picture too)

Take your pick.

I think we should try to help the person who asked for help.

Greg

So why did you pick on my post ?

There are several other posts - which- according to you - are not relevant to the original question

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Calm down chaps, please.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Double heading is always good for steep grades................
I have steep grades on my layouts for this very reason.

This picture shows a goods train at Gstadt station after climbing 1 meter in 25.........

View attachment 275444

Must say, that truly captures the essence of garden railroading :)

If I might be so presumptuous :angel:...... allow me to straighten and enhance your photo.

G.jpg

ah, no charge, all part of the service. (If you object to my interference, let me know, and I will remove post).