phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
This question is directed to Greg but I think the answer may be of general interest. I've read you mention snubber diodes many times. In laymans terms, how does it work and how is it wired into a circuit? Thanks to any who reply.

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
The sort of thing that was referred to as TV interference suppression in my youth ? :nerd::nerd:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The sort of thing that was referred to as TV interference suppression in my youth ? :nerd::nerd:

Not really...
That was normally a capacitor.

Think how 'old-school' car ignition systems generated a spark for the ignition.. Sudden collapse of field in the coil caused the spike used to create the spark. :nerd:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Not really...
That was normally a capacitor.

Think how 'old-school' car ignition systems generated a spark for the ignition.. Sudden collapse of field in the coil caused the spike used to create the spark. :nerd:
Ah, never really understood how a coil worked - just knew not to hold the end of the lead. Life was simpler then - if it didn't spark, you changed the points, if that didn't work, you changed the coil :D:D:D

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Best answers
Occasionally referred to as a damper diode by us Luddites.
---Hutch

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks John, for your very clear feedback (on how the diode is used to suppress undesirable voltage feedback!)