What happened at your workbench today?

Windym87

Registered
28 May 2022
Warwick
Best answers
Country flag
A simple repaint of a NQD Train tanker into Grey, Humbrol 106 is the shade for anyone wondering, another one to do like this in the next few weeks.

1855406C-AAAB-4C2D-89D8-11D06A910467.jpeg

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
To get back on track here is my latest crossover, it's a test track so some construction may look unusual, it's just me trialling different track construction methods ahead of building my tramway layout.

I am not a conformist hence the parts which may at first glance look unconventional.

All this work on a test track is proving quite useful, and it's also useful to test trams and and trams with trailers.
Looks good to me

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Content updated.

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Brutal weather at the present, confined to indoor mooching and pondering.

Busy with the 3D printer, designed and printed the enclosures for Massoth speakers.

View attachment 308971

Doodling with Tinkercad, few ideas for protection signals.

View attachment 308972

Working through an idea for Point Indicator Signals.

View attachment 308973

Whist mulling over a solution for an Animation Project for this years C********s Display, and perusing dunnyrail dunnyrail thread, came across the signals below, which sparked a light bulb moment for the solution.

One of the advantages of using something like Tinkercad, is the ability to create and manipulate shapes to create an idea scribbled down on the back of napkin into something useful.

View attachment 308976
I can see the benefits od 3D printing for this beast, certainly the disks and possibly also the structure. This was made from some kind of metal lattice work and the post by boltingb2 bits of metal strip together. I imagine all feasible with 3D printing. The cranks I think I have already seen you make in the past, I would caution that the media used for the post and cross arena be quite robust as some serious strain can be involved in transferring movement fro whatever is used to move the disks, in my case Air / Pneumatic Motors.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Not the workshop.. Too cold!
Luxury of the dining room and central heating. :)
IMG_20230120_133956.jpg
Motor blocks serviced.. Tyres fitted..
Awaiting instructions from the Customer..

PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Bit of a production-line..
IMG_20230121_134654.jpg
Just need the overhead gantry-crane, to assist..

PhilP

Technocrat

Mostly Retired?
18 Feb 2022
De Graff Kansas
Best answers
Country flag
As I learn to use my 3D printer:

I found the coupler at www.myminifactory.com signer a designer identified as Raby.

I realize these are rather simplistic by some of the standards here, but I am pleased with the result nonetheless.
1674491123559.jpeg
His was identified as 1:32 scale. (The one on the left.)
I felt this was a little too small when placed under my Bachmann freight cars.
So I scaled it to 1:22.5. (The one on the right.) When I divided 32 by 22.5 I came up with 1.4222, which I rounded to 140%
In true Goldilocks fashion of course, I felt this was too big.
So I split the difference to 120%. (The pair in the middle.)
And this seemed to me to be visually just right for 1:22.5 narrow gauge.

As I dream of dual-gauge trackage running both 45mm and 63.5mm (gauge 3) trains, the 1-22.5 will someday be useful to me as well.
So I have added all sets of g-code to my library.

More to come as I experiment mounting techniques.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Work on my latest build is progressing sufficiently that I feel confident enough to reveal what I am working on, or to put it another way....... can you tell what it is yet?

dig 230125001.JPG

dig 230125002.JPG

dig 230125003.JPG

David

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I am liking the cut of your jib, David..
:nerd: :clap: :clap:

PhilP

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Previous pictures in my workshop will show what a mess I make in front of my small parts storage bins. As I do work odd bits left over and odd tools n general junk just get plonked on the area in front of the bins. This makes life tricky getting bins out to extract nails or other small parts causing much use of foul language to myself for making the mess in the first place. Living on my own I cant blame anyone else.

During my shopping pain on Friday I popped in to the local BnM shop for a look. Often interesting carp can be found within. I discovered some Long Organiser Trays, as a clear plastic they are quite useful and satisfactory looking pieces. I bought 2 of the 24.1/8.1/5.3 cm Long ones, at a cost of just £2 each they were certainly worth a punt. I also got the larger one as well with compartments, I think this will be very handy for pulling locs apart to store components during sundry work. Oh also seen is the Bachmann Thomas Coach that refused paint in a certain area bottom left of this pic as related to elswhere.700ECC87-1AA3-4BC6-B819-29E16656D80B.jpeg
The trays worked so well I did a measure up and went to get 2 more of the Long Trays and a Mini one (16/8.1/5.3). The Mini one was £1.50. I now will need to sort out the junk that is in the 2 left hand ones, putting things where they belong so that they are available for more junk as and when. the Paints may need some more distribution to somewhere else, but at least I now cant put anything on that shelf and just need to lift out whatever tray is in the way of whatever bin what I need is stored in.
7F363A76-F0C1-48B5-8C4F-279B846D8819.jpeg
Oh and yes they do stack, but the storage hight in the lower ones is reduced by around 50%.

brokenwing

Registered
21 Oct 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Previous pictures in my workshop will show what a mess I make in front of my small parts storage bins. As I do work odd bits left over and odd tools n general junk just get plonked on the area in front of the bins. This makes life tricky getting bins out to extract nails or other small parts causing much use of foul language to myself for making the mess in the first place. Living on my own I cant blame anyone else.

During my shopping pain on Friday I popped in to the local BnM shop for a look. Often interesting carp can be found within. I discovered some Long Organiser Trays, as a clear plastic they are quite useful and satisfactory looking pieces. I bought 2 of the 24.1/8.1/5.3 cm Long ones, at a cost of just £2 each they were certainly worth a punt. I also got the larger one as well with compartments, I think this will be very handy for pulling locs apart to store components during sundry work. Oh also seen is the Bachmann Thomas Coach that refused paint in a certain area bottom left of this pic as related to elswhere.View attachment 309412
The trays worked so well I did a measure up and went to get 2 more of the Long Trays and a Mini one (16/8.1/5.3). The Mini one was £1.50. I now will need to sort out the junk that is in the 2 left hand ones, putting things where they belong so that they are available for more junk as and when. the Paints may need some more distribution to somewhere else, but at least I now cant put anything on that shelf and just need to lift out whatever tray is in the way of whatever bin what I need is stored in.
View attachment 309413
Oh and yes they do stack, but the storage hight in the lower ones is reduced by around 50%.

brokenwing

Registered
21 Oct 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Dunnyrail, for the picture of the Thomas coach with paint problems. It’s good to see that even the experts have problems sometimes so there might be a slight glimmer of hope for me yet. My technical abilities on a scale of 1 to 10 is probably minus 5 but I have fun and that is what this hobby is all about.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Dunnyrail, for the picture of the Thomas coach with paint problems. It’s good to see that even the experts have problems sometimes so there might be a slight glimmer of hope for me yet. My technical abilities on a scale of 1 to 10 is probably minus 5 but I have fun and that is what this hobby is all about.
Fortunately it all dried nice and flat with just the non painted gaps, the thin undercoat is very user friendly like that. Will get more grey when the weather more suitable, that is a long term gauge 3 project anyway, it is going to be converted to a station van building/store/ticket office sometime.