dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
With the fine weather I have been building another movable storage area. This end of my workshop already has one, an old copboard on wheels but as it sits behind the 00 layout and book shelves junk gets in the way stopping getting it out for access to BA screws and small metal rod stored in it. So a plan was hatched. Works down the road on renewing bedroom units gave enough Coated Chipboard. Wheels were known to exist but not found, but a set of wheels obtained from Ikea a lot of years back and still unused in the loft were found. The wheels are quite high so under storage created to utilise the space, ideal for wood and plasticard of suitable size. I made U shaped bits to go inside the draw to assist pulling the sundry siding out.
2011CD79-8EAE-4D85-978F-B70BE1681050.jpeg
Shown before all the carp added to the under drawers. The red bix left sits on the overlap to the left.
D3937BBD-1759-4A05-910C-81DDB6DB919A.jpeg

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
A bit further work on the roving storage has seen some Fosworks Battery Charger Storage, they were just dumped in a plastic box which is not good for either access or efficient storage.
E47E948D-C905-4B14-92D9-6C0899E7AA17.jpeg
This this has been added to the side, still not the best as ever the wires need some consideration. There may be enough room at the rear to add a few bits of trunking to at least lay the low volt wires in to keep them tidy.
4F58B8A1-87AC-42C1-A8A8-759C54CF387A.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Dining room table: :lipssealed:
This is 0 gauge, I think from a kit?
Ignore the cardboard prised out of the tender.. I am trying to find somewhere to fit the batteries and radio-gear..
16756946688039045244235448775195.jpg
A long-shot, but does anybody recognise the prototype? Or even the model?

Amazingly, the motion runs quietly and sweetly, on three AA batteries. - What I had handy.

PhilP

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers

My guess would be an Midland/LMS compound, according to the wiki tables, the loco number matches up too:

LMS Compound

I can't help with the origin of the kit though I'm afraid

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
If it runs smoothly on 4.5 volts, it may well be a pre-war Hornby O gauge 6v loco. It looks familiar and I am looking through guides.

What printing is on the emblem on the cab side, please?

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
My guess would be an Midland/LMS compound, according to the wiki tables, the loco number matches up too:

LMS Compound

I can't help with the origin of the kit though I'm afraid
Agree on that - that it is an LMS/Midland compound, that is.

Last edited:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
If it runs smoothly on 4.5 volts, it may well be a pre-war Hornby O gauge 6v loco. It looks familiar and I am looking through guides.

What printing is on the emblem on the cab side, please?
If Hornby, would it not have a makers name/marque, somewhere?
Motor, and chassis, is live (Obviously), with third-rail pick-up.
1675700033453828882270413187201.jpg
That is the only identifying label on any of the model..

The other problem, is whatever has been used to lubricate around the cylinders, has softened the paintwork. I have maroon marks, from handling it.
Trying to clean this up, without stripping the paintwork, is more worrying than the mechanicals.

PhilP

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Meccano used transfers on the tender and loco usually to show the maker.

On the cab side there is a small badge, doens't that have on the name of the railway company of the loco, e.g. L.M.S.?

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Meccano used transfers on the tender and loco usually to show the maker.

On the cab side there is a small badge, doens't that have on the name of the railway company of the loco, e.g. L.M.S.?
Yes, but it is tiny.. I need to go out to the workshop, and get the binocular magnifiers..
Though having examined the model further, the ruddy great 'M' and 'R', on the front bufferbeam, would kind of confirm it! :blush:

PhilP

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Tis certainly a Midland Compound in Midland livery. Looking at the coupling rods that appear to be made of bullhead rail it could be a scratch built jobby. Many 0 gaugers in days gone by used to be into scratch building big time as the almost only way to get what you want unless you had deep pockets and as this appears to be a 3 rail contact loco that would certainly date it somewhat, possibly back to the 50/60’s.

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
It'll be the Midland Wyvern crest on the cabside.

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Dining room table: :lipssealed:
This is 0 gauge, I think from a kit?
Ignore the cardboard prised out of the tender.. I am trying to find somewhere to fit the batteries and radio-gear..
View attachment 309776

Amazingly, the motion runs quietly and sweetly, on three AA batteries. - What I had handy.

PhilP
I think it is Bassett-Lowke.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I've taken the liberty of posting the photo of the loco and tender on the HRCA forum which I am a member of.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I've taken the liberty of posting the photo of the loco and tender on the HRCA forum which I am a member of.
And are two replies:

This looks like "a very good kit/scratch built model. Although it has a Leeds style pickup, it is not the quality of a Leeds loco which I believe were usually made of tinplate. However, the quality of the cylinder/slides does look better than a kit or scratch built. Also, the tender has the axles in a separate chassis, and not running in the side frames; another pointer to it being a kit model. Well worth repairing and putting back on the track. It looks a nice model and well made. Just the boiler bands look a bit heavy handed suggesting a kit build. However, the chassis rails are quite thick for a kit and the cylinders and slides look very Basset Lowke."

"The only commercial component I can recognise is the Bonds/Leakey motor and gearbox. My suspicion is that it's an older kit/scratch built loco, a photo of the inside of the body would be extremely useful to assist in confirming that."

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
1675953001993217362213824173377.jpgit does look a little rough inside..

Thank you for your efforts..
PhilP

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 309879it does look a little rough inside..

Thank you for your efforts..
PhilP
Thanks for the extra photo, Phil. The response from the HRCA member is "the body isn't a rebuilt Hornby or Bassett Lowke Compound, which is what I wanted to rule in or out, so scratch built, or a commercial hand built one off."

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks..

Out of interest, HRCA?
Woz it stand for?

PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I must not go there!

I am 'in' too many of the associations as it is!
Costs a small-fortune, this time of year, for all the renewals..
:D :D :D

PhilP

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I must not go there!

I am 'in' too many of the associations as it is!
Costs a small-fortune, this time of year, for all the renewals..
:D :D :D

PhilP
That is too true! Ironically, the only Hornby railway items I have are three 0 gauge goods yard cranes which are ideal for my G harbour. Nor did I ever have any Hornby as a youngster other than a 00 layout for a short time. I could never get used to the points where you had to remember to set them correctly if the train was running against them. No "push through" in those days!