What happened at your workbench today?

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Assembling the bashed Bachmann and tested out the firebox effect. Sorry about the video - nigh-on impossible to get an iPhone on the footplate! Coals lit from beneath with dull red and bright yellow LEDs, and from above with a flickering orange. Hoping it passes the Neil Robinson orangeness test :D
:D certainly does. :D

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Roof done, good job we didn't need to put any washing out! now on with fix the guards duckets.
DSC_0258.JPG
DSC_0262.JPG

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Not exactly the workbench but out on the layout bench.

I have started ballasting and adding "grass" to the Cane Line.
I put the trial piece out in the weather in the middle of last year (2021) to see how it would standup after sun rain heat and cold it has not deteriorated at all.
The ballast is 7mm blue metal a type of rock used in concrete and by the fill size railways.
To hold it together I used 50/50 outdoor PVA and water with a few drops of washing up liquid as a wetting agent.
I sprayed the glue on which left holes between the ballast for water drainage, the ballast sits on shade cloth to stop it falling through the holes in the cable tray base.
Ballast trial.JPG
Ballast Trial

Cane line ballast and turf.JPG

Cane line ballast and turf 1.JPG
Completed section of track

Last edited:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Not exactly the workbench but out on the layout bench.

I have started ballasting and adding "grass" to the Cane Line.
I put the trial piece out in the weather in the middle of last year (2021) to see how it would standup after sun rain heat and cold it has not deteriorated at all.
The ballast is 7mm blue metal a type of rock used in concrete and by the fill size railways.
To hold it together I used 50/50 outdoor PVA and water with a few drops of washing up liquid as a wetting agent.
I sprayed the glue on which left holes between the ballast for water drainage, the ballast sits on shade cloth to stop it falling through the holes in the cable tray base.
View attachment 294201
Ballast Trial

View attachment 294205

View attachment 294204
Completed section of track
Grass is growing well :p:p

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Roof painted and duckets finished.
DSC_0266.JPG

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
For sometime I have struggled getting my "Annie" to the railway and back, especially as I like to keep it coupled. So along comes the basic carry device, a piece of wood with two tracks routered out 45 mm apart, note the two hole on the centre line was for a piece of wood to be screwed underneath to hold the item in place whilst at work with the router.

Annie-Carry-01.jpg

The next job is to be able to "drive" Annie" off and on the carrier. Enter a short length of Bachmann plastic track. Two small indents to hold the track on the carrier (above on the left), and some tapering of the track.

Annie-Carry-02.jpg
This meant loosing sleepers and the tracks parting. So when the wheels transition of the plastic track plasticard supports the flanges, and the narrower plasticard in the centre (40 mm wide) keep the wheels on track until the wheels are firmly on the railway.

Annie-Carry-03.jpg

The nest issue was to hold this transition track in place, and ideally I would have fixed it to the carrier, but opted to use the rail-track to hold it in place, so a small block to fit between the sleepers was glued underneath.

Annie-Carry-04.jpg

A Trial run, a few bench tests had been carried out, but now for the real test, notice my new supervisor.

Annie-Carry-06.jpg

Does it work!!!

Annie-Carry-07.jpg

It was run (battery power) off and on a couple of times, carried out slowly but a great success, even ran it on forwards without issue.
One last thing (for now) don't want it running off the end.

Annie-Carry-08.jpg
Just need to manufacture the carry handles.

Reactions: 1 user

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
For sometime I have struggled getting my "Annie" to the railway and back, especially as I like to keep it coupled. So along comes the basic carry device, a piece of wood with two tracks routered out 45 mm apart, note the two hole on the centre line was for a piece of wood to be screwed underneath to hold the item in place whilst at work with the router.

View attachment 294250

The next job is to be able to "drive" Annie" off and on the carrier. Enter a short length of Bachmann plastic track. Two small indents to hold the track on the carrier (above on the left), and some tapering of the track.

View attachment 294251
This meant loosing sleepers and the tracks parting. So when the wheels transition of the plastic track plasticard supports the flanges, and the narrower plasticard in the centre (40 mm wide) keep the wheels on track until the wheels are firmly on the railway.

View attachment 294252

The nest issue was to hold this transition track in place, and ideally I would have fixed it to the carrier, but opted to use the rail-track to hold it in place, so a small block to fit between the sleepers was glued underneath.

View attachment 294253

A Trial run, a few bench tests had been carried out, but now for the real test, notice my new supervisor.

View attachment 294254

Does it work!!!

View attachment 294255

It was run (battery power) off and on a couple of times, carried out slowly but a great success, even ran it on forwards without issue.
One last thing (for now) don't want it running off the end.

View attachment 294256
A very well thought out idea. Coincidentally, there has just been a discussion on router produced "tracks" on the HRCA forum.

I wouldn't like to tangle with your new superior.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Neatly done as ever Jimmy, yes the supervisor looks like he is saying “what do you think you are doing on my walkway”?

At this moment I am as ever in the midst of a few jobs. Having completed my Kamel Batteries the other day I thought I would get on with the Combino Tram again, but changed my mind to attacking the Swift16 Railcar batterysoundification. This has resulted in some serious hacking to stuff bits in place. Seen here on the workbench, orders in for some more bits to get this moving forwards.
D4EBC96B-3AB7-4C7E-8A91-EE00C6625B9B.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

Love it! Coincidentally, I've been facing the exact same issue this week and had resorted to a temporary solution of 2ft of track on a piece of laminate, but I can see that being converted to your clever solution in due course :)

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Not so much the workbench, but testing non the less. fitted the chopper coupling last night and with the aid of a few washers settled on the ride height, so out side, set fire to a loco and see what happens, strangely, nothing, no derailments, no uncoupling...... I must have done something wrong :think: :giggle:
anyway the pics.
Just noticed in the first pic, the wood base that comes with Accucraft locos JimmyB ;)
DSC_0271.JPG
DSC_0273.JPG
DSC_0276.JPG

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Not so much the workbench, but testing non the less. fitted the chopper coupling last night and with the aid of a few washers settled on the ride height, so out side, set fire to a loco and see what happens, strangely, nothing, no derailments, no uncoupling...... I must have done something wrong :think: :giggle:
anyway the pics.
Just noticed in the first pic, the wood base that comes with Accucraft locos JimmyB ;)
View attachment 294304
View attachment 294305
View attachment 294306
Those DJB bogies run like a dream; with a 'small F' and half-brake you have the makings of almost every train that ever ran on the IOM!

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Another box car started,bachmann chassis and trucks with a custom body,the build so far,IMG_20220103_050534.jpg

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag