Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
The wood kit I am building is missing four 5/16" (8 mm) plywood wall panels for the end walls, designed to fill in frames made of 5/16" square dowel. I have some 1/16" ply left over from building K-9, from which I have cut panels with a straightedge and craft knife and glued on lengths of 1/4" square dowel around the edges to make up 5/16" thickness. The end walls won't quite match the style of the front and back walls, but at least they'll match each other.
Onward o_O

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
People of a nervous disposition, LGB collectors and lovers of the Rio Grande should look away now.

I got this open I think from Gizzy some time back now, was a Bogie one and it was always intended to use it as a 4 wheeler. At some stage I got a 4w coach that should have been a bogie one so the swop over was done. Thus lurking in the what to do with it is this Pennsy Bogie Coach.
3020FE43-EF34-4F29-9A5E-011722F0E546.jpeg
What happens to the Open is that all the lettering is got rid of including the raised LGB stuff and number. As seen below. Lettering is removed with a fibre brush, raised stuff with a flat blade ended scalpel blade, sandpaper and hard work.

Next stage will be a spray in my standard brown livery of Halfords Red Undercoat, new lettering a wagon card then it will be ready to add to service on the DR. All mounted on a standard 4 wheel chassis with no end balcony. Hopefully before the next Operating day.
EC360776-962D-4AFC-8DA2-19387BC851B5.jpegBF73128C-9FA7-4E21-9233-D9B9200212B1.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Carved planking seams into the home-made end walls of the gravel loader, then glued the end walls to the back wall with plenty of right-angle jigs and clamps. Front wall will wait until I have assembled the wagon-loading chutes and put them in place, and painted the building interior to protect it from the weather. With luck, the days will shortly be warm and dry enough to allow me to do spray painting outdoors. Indoors is taboo.
There are four pieces of 3mm ply that might be the sliding gates for the chutes: All are the same width, but one pair is shorter than the other; with no dimensions on the instruction sheets, I shall be guessing which to use .
Whatever I come up with, the gates won't slide; I shall seal them closed to keep the weather out. The kit was designed to be a working model: Load gravel in through a removable roof, unload into wagons via the chutes. Ingenious, but indoors only as far as I am concerned. Loading/unloading will be purely imaginary.
Speaking of weather resistance, I am thinking of using a piece of alumin(i)um flashing for the roof in place of the kit's four plywood sections.
Onward.

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
My blood lancet light (from: What happened at your workbench today?) was finished:
IMG_7707.JPG
It currently has power from the track through a rectifier so it will be on when trains travel in either direction. It would be nice to make it flash, but I'm not yet sure what the best way to do that is.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
My Bachmann caboose turned up and oh what a car,excellent model but I suspect anyone who has one will know that and I am preaching to the already converted,so today saw it lettered up for the railroad,one more job I want to do is tone the wheels down as too shiny and some matt varnish over the end platform decking to tone that too.IMG_20210321_160948.jpgIMG_20210321_161105.jpgIMG_20210321_161235.jpgIMG_20210321_161339.jpg

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Attemp to load pix from my tablet, as my laptop refuses to read my camera's SDHC card.
20210321_121823.jpg
The shell of the gravel hopper on its platform.

20210321_121947.jpg
The front wall is stiĺl being worked on.

20210321_130242.jpg
Unloading chutes under assembly.

Reactions: 1 user

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Went out back to make sure the gravel loader would fit the available space:

20210322_104458.jpg
It does! Incidentally, so much for the deck stain maker's claims of years of protection: The stuff hasn't lasted one winter, not that I believed the claims :rolleyes:

Still a little way to go before the train runs:
20210322_105004.jpg
But there is hope at last :rock:

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
And back in the basement:
20210322_123620.jpg
Front clamped in place to check that wagons would clear.

20210322_123733.jpg
The Swift Sixteen hoppers are OK, so everything else should fit.

20210322_123843.jpg
And this is what the Missus sees in her nightmares.

Reactions: 1 users

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
A slight divergence, I have been trying my hand at a bit of 'N' gauge modelling, albeit with a G Scale application. One of the buildings I am currently working on is a coal office for I.P.Black, Coal Merchant of Gernise End Station on the Claptowte Railway. This is to complement the scratch built coal staithes, storage bins and the converted pick-up truck already completed. The coal office has a shop front window that I felt needed a window display. My first thought was to find a suitable 'N' Gauge railway coal wagon to place in the window, but while trawling eBay for a suitable item, I came across a laser cut plywood kit for a horse drawn coal wagon, perfect. I realised that in 'N' the kit was going to be small, but I was amazed just how small, it was a bit of a challenge for someone with fingers like a bunch of Fyffe's finest. I.P.Black already has a corporate livery of green and yellow, so the die was cast.

dig 210322001.JPG

dig 210201001.JPG

dig 210323001.JPG

dig 210323002.JPG

dig 210323003.JPG

David

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
They both look marvellous

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Word reached The Management that the two old biddies in the back seat of the Goose had complained about the overly casual dress of the one legged driver.

Management provided him with a company jacket, and told him to wear a shirt and tie - the yellow T-shirt had to go :eek:

For the sake of the squeamish, I can confirm that no speakers were harmed by the installation of this driver :devil::devil:

View attachment 281895
The lady with the brown coat also travels on my line, where she is known as Mrs Crellin. Her hat -which resembles a Chelsea bun- possibly conceals contraband. The train driver also has an alias: Dave the Progressive Vicar. Concerns have been voiced about his right hand...

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Tardis, or one of Gizzy's choppers
Ah nah - it's a phrase coined by bus drivers for OAPs who have free bus passes that are only usable after 9:00 am. They stand at the stop at 08:30 hopefully and say, 'Am I t'wirly?'

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Not quite a what is happening at my workbench, more an understanding of my "workbench":

I do not have a shed (well not one for modelling in) but the second bedroom is officially known at "The Shed", but as you will appreciate some activity is limited by the domestic authorises, so here is my workbench in my shed, note, I cannot work in very untidy spaces:

Indoor-Shed.jpg

So spraying must take place elsewhere, and a number of years ago I built a "fold-away" spray booth with integral fan and lights:

Spray-booth_1.jpg

And here is a close up of my IP Engineering Railbus on the turn table:

Spray-booth_3.jpg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
So, the railbus - seen here.

With headlights added, and a cheapo chassis from evilbay - the manufacturer / seller kindly extended the axles by 6mm in response to my request so that I could add delrin sprockets and chain to make it look like a Goose drive bogie. The chassis needed a bit of work - back to back was not that good, then it needed conversion to a bogie. The whole thing is now driven by a previously enjoyed Saturn R/C with Micro Viper ESC.

There's a rear light, not visible, and marker lights to be completed, and a mass of wires inside the body.

The difficulty with a re-furb is that I'm not very good at removing soldered connections from things like switches etc, and the result is that more and more wires get added :tmi::tmi:

DSCF2050.JPG

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
No such thing as a free dinner, last night was my friends time to cook (he and his family are my bubble) and he asked me to try ti replace some fallen off buts from his Heljan BoCo. Small part at the front and pipes beneath. Small part required the Magnifying Glass but managed ok, pipes much easier all securely held by 806 now. Nicely weathered loco that he bought as shown.
4B027D66-B15C-4DD7-AACE-6CDE9C596CED.jpeg

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
What about flashing LEDs ?
I suspect the crossing leds will be required to flash alternately. Flashing leds are unlikely to synchronise.
A simple "flip flop" circuit would do the trick and isn't difficult to make if you have a modicum of experience. Sadly I haven't managed to master linking the circuit diagrams on my old computer, but an internet search for flip flop should be productive.
Edit, sorry another senior moment. I was replying to the wrong flashing led topic!