What happened at your workbench today?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I have been asked by the one of the larger local garden centers to go and take a look at the railway they have running in their model village again to see if I could get it working ready for the easing of restrictions. Another local family have volunteered to step in and repair a few of the buildings and the masonry.

I remembered that last time I was there, there were a couple of nasty kinks in the track where two pieces of flexi-track had been joined. They mainly use the large scale Thomas stuff which seems to pick the bad sections quite badly. To try and cure it, I made myself a Jim crow to persuade a little more curve into the ends of the rails.

View attachment 281428
That's the most difficult aspect of laying flexi-track in the large sections that we use. One of the tricks I've used is to allow the rail joints to stagger round the curves. It does mean that you have to juggle a couple of sleepers around as you're connecting the rails, but it helps a little bit and, if you're using rail clamps, you can have a go at gentle belly bending once the clamps are in place.

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
How does the "Jim crow" work?

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
" and bring the railroad on 10 years, cars are a great way to time scale a line, all cars out there now are `58 or earlier,now on certain days it can be at least `68,and a few more planed,;);)the crate makes a good drying aid!

Yes Rio, using vehicles definitely is a good way to 'age' a layout.
When I realised that I would have to incorporate dismals onto the layout (because of the tortuous inclines and diesel locos having more traction), I had to have the option of bringing the era from the original 1920s-early 50's on into the early 1960's. So I obtained some late-50's and 60's vehicles to also pepper the scenery.

Since then I found ways of having steam locos pull trains up the inclines (multi-heading, motorising freight and passenger 'helper' cars, using geared locos etc) so steam can dominate, but diesels still have their day so the eras mix of vehicles appear especially when friends or neighbours came over or on open days.
general view beavercreek 1.2.jpgarrowhead makeover  from front low 2.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
I added weights to my V52 to improve its tractive effort. See separate thread in electric locos.

4F398755-E6F5-478D-89D2-FA8ED40BBD99.jpeg

itsmcgee

Registered
18 Apr 2012
Spokane Washington USA
Best answers
Country flag
Decided to make my LGB tippers compatible with my 3d printed ones. I have almost 30 of them and wanted to put them to use. I wanted to use the same wheels I use on the others from "The Train Department" and the chain link couplers. I printed a "horn" to put on the end of the car and printed some journals to match the height of my cars. Also made sure they took my little bearing. Have some paint work to do but I am happy so farlgb with journals.jpgjournals.jpg

Last edited:

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Erm.... nothing, apart from a pair of bogies and a vague idea of something to put them under, hmm
20210227_125719.jpg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
20210227_172126.jpgACH]
Something happened, but not a lot! Realised I'd missed some painting so had to stop. Hopefully some news only PDF model tomorrow

Attachments

• 20210227_172120.jpg
    20210227_172120.jpg
    397.5 KB · Views: 0

Jasper

11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
I like your tablecloth.

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Today I screwed my courage to the sticking place and cut and stuck the holddown straps to one of five hopper wagons.

100_4194 (Copy).JPG
As I had not attached the hopper quite level and square to the decking :blush:, I had to trim each vertical piece to a fractionally different length. However, the lacquer thinner held them in place nicely :whew:.
I think one wagon a day will be all my eyes (using a magnifier) and shaky hands can deal with, but with any luck the rake will be ready when the track reappears in spring.

Jasper

11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
As I had not attached the hopper quite level and square to the decking :blush:, I had to trim each vertical piece to a fractionally different length.
Sounds very much like the real thing.

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
A bridge started to appear...........0421FD8C-98F5-43F1-B006-F77465132C32.jpeg

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yes Rio, using vehicles definitely is a good way to 'age' a layout.
When I realised that I would have to incorporate dismals onto the layout (because of the tortuous inclines and diesel locos having more traction), I had to have the option of bringing the era from the original 1920s-early 50's on into the early 1960's. So I obtained some late-50's and 60's vehicles to also pepper the scenery.

Since then I found ways of having steam locos pull trains up the inclines (multi-heading, motorising freight and passenger 'helper' cars, using geared locos etc) so steam can dominate, but diesels still have their day so the eras mix of vehicles appear especially when friends or neighbours came over or on open days.
View attachment 281459View attachment 281460
Yes Mike,cars change even by year to year,but buildings tend to stay the same unless remodeled with extensions and so on,the biggest problem for me is that my railroad is mostly elevated so not much option for roadways and cars,the large slope of the garden just does not allow for me to run at ground level so any detail I want to put in is at least to say very limited,as always great shots of your efforts and I really like the phone company truck working on the pole:clap::clap:

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Reactions: 1 user

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
For my birthday, my finacé got me a sound module for our Spreewald along with a speaker. Now, the Spreewald is probably my favourite in our fleet in terms of looks but I hate working on it. Inside there such limited space which makes reassembling the thing a nightmare unless everything is perfectly positioedn. As a result, I decided to install both the speaker and servo for the uncoupler at the same time.

Started with the sound card only to find the thing was a dud. Tested on a different speaker (and then with a different sound card on the decoder) so need to send it back to Modell-land for a replacement. However, I managed to find the servo (SG90) fits perfectly under the cab on the chassis - picture prefitting for proof:
Spreewald-Servo.jpeg

I also discovered these connectors inside a Piko BR80 loco I finally added decoder to. Anyone know the name of them?

Pin-Connectors.jpeg

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I also discovered these connectors inside a Piko BR80 loco I finally added decoder to. Anyone know the name of them?
No but be careful with the all black pair, they could cause magic smoke used in the wrong place!

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Decided to make my LGB tippers compatible with my 3d printed ones. I have almost 30 of them and wanted to put them to use. I wanted to use the same wheels I use on the others from "The Train Department" and the chain link couplers. I printed a "horn" to put on the end of the car and printed some journals to match the height of my cars. Also made sure they took my little bearing. Have some paint work to do but I am happy so farView attachment 281483View attachment 281484
Nice looking models. Have you posted elsewhere about the 3D tippers? Are the files for the journals available on line? I could use some journals for my own LGB tippers. Thanks, Ken