What happened at your workbench today?

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Just fitted my little rail car/ tram with £5 radio control. My battery operated tram has the switch inside, so it’s very awkward to stop, especially if it’s misbehaved.
Saw a thread about using led dimmer control, mine cost £4.97 from flea bay. It’s supposed to have 12-24 volt supply, I’m only using 9 volts as the motor is rated at 3-4.8 volts, so the control is hit and miss, but it does work!
Probably old news to the experts, but if there’s any cheapskate beginners like me ,could be useful.
The joy of stopping it without giving it an intimate examination is untold.View attachment 276080
Tell me more, please

Portsladepete

Registered
2 Jun 2020
England
Best answers
Country flag
Tell me more, please
These are for dimming and controlling leds in the home I presume. You need the dc version, handy as it’s the cheapest, connect your battery to the two input wires, and your motor to the two output wires.
They don’t have the facility to reverse so I connected mine to the original dpdt switch.
These ones are good for 2 amps, others may go higher, the control isn’t precise but more than good enough for starting and stopping, when you switch off, it is supposed to remember the last setting, which is another reason they are good for what I want, as my little tram is not meant for speed.
I set mine for the same sort of speed it achieved with 3 volts, I assume the 9v battery will last quite a bit longer.
Only had about 5 minutes to test due to rapid onset of darkness, If the rain allows, will play more tomorrow.
No idea how to insert link, but they are readily available on flea bay.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
These are for dimming and controlling leds in the home I presume. You need the dc version, handy as it’s the cheapest, connect your battery to the two input wires, and your motor to the two output wires.
They don’t have the facility to reverse so I connected mine to the original dpdt switch.
These ones are good for 2 amps, others may go higher, the control isn’t precise but more than good enough for starting and stopping, when you switch off, it is supposed to remember the last setting, which is another reason they are good for what I want, as my little tram is not meant for speed.
I set mine for the same sort of speed it achieved with 3 volts, I assume the 9v battery will last quite a bit longer.
Only had about 5 minutes to test due to rapid onset of darkness, If the rain allows, will play more tomorrow.
No idea how to insert link, but they are readily available on flea bay.
Cheers , I'll look them out and have a play

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Bit behind on my Church build but decided the best way to make the Lead looking roof is real Lead :) rather than imitating it , some I bought has arrived so a test fit to see what it looks like and it will on its own tarnish naturally, Will just need to watch out for lead thieves on the church roof :rofl: just a few more bits to finish and add,l then its time for a sanding and a color change so it looks like its built from Limestone.

lead1.jpg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Bit behind on my Church build but decided the best way to make the Lead looking roof is real Lead :) rather than imitating it , some I bought has arrived so a test fit to see what it looks like and it will on its own tarnish naturally, Will just need to watch out for lead thieves on the church roof :rofl: just a few more bits to finish and add,l then its time for a sanding and a color change so it looks like its built from Limestone.

View attachment 276098
Remember your lead rolls - and no, you don't eat them :p:p

1605096620005.png

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Looking into how to form them over something , Lead work at 1:22 not as easy as full size :)

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Looking into how to form them over something , Lead work at 1:22 not as easy as full size :)
It ought to be entirely possible to replicate the complex work on a lead roof if you get this stuff.

I think I have seen thinner as well, used to make wagon sheets. But quite expensive.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
The Lead I got is 0.5mm , did a bit of looking at Lead church roof pics and have printed roll former's to go under my Lead to give the correct look and shape, plus the joints will be watertight as well :) After having a play its fiddly to do, but it will be worth the effort looking at it :)

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
The Lead I got is 0.5mm , did a bit of looking at Lead church roof pics and have printed roll former's to go under my Lead to give the correct look and shape, plus the joints will be watertight as well :) After having a play its fiddly to do, but it will be worth the effort looking at it :)
As a bit of a nerdy, anally retentive diversion, studying the details and skills necessary for lead roofing can be rather fascinating (I've avoided using the word 'interesting :yawn: ).

In theory, a plumber should be able to undertake all traditional detailing without resorting to using heat. It's only where the construction strays away from the vernacular that lead burning has come into use (as in that picture I posted earlier).

However, that comes with a hugely cautionary note - think Uppark House, West Sussex and, more recently, Notre Dame, Paris. The National Trust do not allow (in theory) any hot work on their properties - they do not use a hot work permit system, because they do not permit it (they say).

schienenkönig

I'm a tram enthusiast and have made trams Scale G
4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
Sitting in my work shop and starring onto my computer. Found an G scale tram from Zurich. Needs a little bit of work for the windows and finding a motor unit for it..... Price, nearly a present. But it must run on R1 tracks, so I'm waiting for answer. ... ... .... ... ....

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
New kit building proceeds apace at the workbench. The first building is a ModelTown small Signalbox. This one will go on the shelf until the new extension to the CFR is constructed:-
15A0A526-7259-4E66-83D6-394D899704A2.jpeg

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
New kit building proceeds apace at the workbench. The first building is a ModelTown small Signalbox. This one will go on the shelf until the new extension to the CFR is constructed:-
View attachment 276131
Very nice.
Will the next box down the line be Stanley?

Reactions: 1 user

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Good afternoon folks. After carrying out my security check, I found time to apply varnish to the Signalbox :-
7AF5FFFD-588D-4FC7-9C56-C4EDD3ECF391.jpeg

The Signalbox will now be placed on a shelf until it is required on the new extension.

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Finished the roof on the coach ( no lead was used ;)), then had a thought, as I've made it longer, will it go around the corners :mm:, so test run and yes it does :whew:
DSC_0043.JPG
Not to happy with the red and cream, the reds to dark and the cream to light, will have to take it outside again rather than tying to guess the lights inside!

schienenkönig

4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
Sitting in my work shop and starring onto my computer. Found an G scale tram from Zurich. Needs a little bit of work for the windows and finding a motor unit for it..... Price, nearly a present. But it must run on R1 tracks, so I'm waiting for answer. ... ... .... ... ....
The answer came in and said yes. So know it is mine for 130,00€. Now to wait for the postman. May be tomorrow.... Hope.
If it arrives, than it is a birthday present for me, makes my day a bit happier, because is will be a lonly corona birthday on sunday.
02.JPG

schienenkönig

4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
It was a very quick transaction. I bought the model on Thursday evening. Today DHL delivered it to our workshop. Although I'm not allowed to open it until tomorrow, I couldn't wait. So I unpacked the package. It's a really great job.

I still had a couple of used ball bearing axles and put them into the axle holders that were already prepared. The tram rolled smoothly over the R1 curves. I also had a pantograph. Now I just wanted to play. I got the little electric locomotive and installed a temporary coupling and pulled the train over our test tracks. Perfect run, forwards and backwards. Regardless of whether it is pushed or pulled. Now I need a motor unit. I have two LGB units of American trams here, but these are too high. Let's see what can be found there.

I'm excited like a little kid about this purchase that will add some sparkle to my tomorrow.
77503-zürich-4024-14.11.2020.jpg

77505-zürich-4024-14.11.2020.jpg77510-zürich-4024-14.11.2020.jpg

77512-zürich-4024-14.11.2020.jpg

77513-zürich-4024-14.11.2020.jpg

77514-zürich-4024-14.11.2020.jpg