What happened at your workbench today?

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I used 1mm flat backed nail jewels, E-bay is as good as anywhere to find them.
Look at the photos of Brooklyn, my Porter kitbash, the ones used on the adaptor plate are 1mm, but you can get them up to 5mm and in any colour you want.
The bigger ones make for good (Non functional.) marker lights.
Paul.
Thanks for the info, I'll take a look at Ebay

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
With the rocket-ship Japanese engine? The car got a bad press at the time, but it has aged well, hasn't it? Up there with the Gilbern GT, the Reliant Sabre and the Bond Equipe GT 2+2: each one beautiful, and lost. :-(

Oh yeah, I know, thread drift: this is about cars, and not trains. It will all work out in the long run. Trust me.
No, Ford 1600 CVH - at least you can still get parts for that :nod: 0-60 in 9.6s and alleged top end of 111mph, not that I'm ever likely to try in something that's 32 years old :oops:

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
The Modeltown yard crane has been assembled and painted. It certainly lived up to its name as an Easy Build Kit, going together very easily. The problem I now have which was mentioned before is how to mount it track side. The fact that it has a fixed jib means that in order to gain sufficient clearance to raise a load from base level to the wagon load bed means that the crane has to be mounted on a platform or plinth. My original intention was to install the crane midway along the goods loop. This will require a platform much higher than I had anticipated, but what shape, square or round? One answer may be to locate it on the goods platform, but that would make things a bit too cramped. Lots of things to ponder, but I will take my time to mull over a few ideas. In the meantime here are some pics of the completed kit. The crane has been painted in the Claptowte Railway corporate colours of BR maroon and cream.

dig 201019005.JPG

dig 201019006.JPG

dig 201019007.JPG

dig 201019008.JPG

dig 201019009.JPG

David

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
The Modeltown yard crane has been assembled and painted. It certainly lived up to its name as an Easy Build Kit, going together very easily. The problem I now have which was mentioned before is how to mount it track side. The fact that it has a fixed jib means that in order to gain sufficient clearance to raise a load from base level to the wagon load bed means that the crane has to be mounted on a platform or plinth. My original intention was to install the crane midway along the goods loop. This will require a platform much higher than I had anticipated, but what shape, square or round? One answer may be to locate it on the goods platform, but that would make things a bit too cramped. Lots of things to ponder, but I will take my time to mull over a few ideas. In the meantime here are some pics of the completed kit. The crane has been painted in the Claptowte Railway corporate colours of BR maroon and cream.

View attachment 275229

View attachment 275230

View attachment 275231

View attachment 275232

View attachment 275233

David
I'm not sure if my memory is playing tricks, but I think I recall seeing small yard cranes mounted on a square stone plinth on the platform ?

1603103338045.png

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I'm not sure if my memory is playing tricks, but I think I recall seeing small yard cranes mounted on a square stone plinth on the platform ?

View attachment 275237

The proportions of that setup appear to be spot on, now to sort out the construction materials.

David

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
Brooklyn enters the final furlong...
Just the finishing touches (Including putting the name plate on permanently.)
I can just about see the finishing post now...:D
Last photo shows doner loco for comparison.
Paul.
Brooklyn the final furlong (1).JPGBrooklyn the final furlong (3).JPGBrooklyn the final furlong (5).jpg

Attachments

• Brooklyn the final furlong (4).JPG
    Brooklyn the final furlong (4).JPG
    339.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
Lovely paint job.
Firstly, thank you for all the thumbs up's and positive comments.
I'm now looking at fitting a no: 6 14 v Seuthe smoke generator inside the funnel.
It leaves about 1 mm clearance between the funnel wall. How hot do these things get?
Will it melt the 1.5 mm wall thickness acrylic tube that the funnel is made from? Also, does anyone know of a liquid heat proof compound that I could fill the gap with?
Regards,
Paul.
smoke gen 6.jpg

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Over the weekend I revised the protection around my pond to a more Japanese type of Fence Structure. Was protected by string just like the right, right side will be done when I get round to a trip to Wicks to get the rest of the Wood. When I visited last time I could only get enough for the bit that has been done. Oh and to the right is a train from yesterdays operating day. The other Mallat that was out. Though you cannot see it but it is returning 3 Mail vans to Gernrode. The other two will be returned on the next trip.
AD1B73A6-D35F-4E65-B462-5FE46A330077.jpeg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
20201021_165325.jpg20201021_181807.jpg20201021_181815.jpg

Today, I've been sitting indoors cutting up bits of card. Hopefully at the end of my endeavours it'll look vaguely similar to a gunpowder van

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
Ah... The works. A good source for cheap wooden boxes.
In the event of not having the original box, I use the medium (£8.00) boxes from there as storage / carry boxes for my smaller locos.
Not having built many wooden wagons, I shall be interested to see how your GP van turns out.
Regards,
Paul.2020-10-21 002 001.JPG

Brixham

No buffers were hurt at this sign
27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Here's a couple of mine I made a year or so ago....
Both on Hartland chassis but one has smaller wheels with a coupling height adjustment
gunpowder_finishedjpg.jpg

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I made for me a monumental discovery, well got told by someone on YT of it. This prompted me to modify my iPad holder that I have in my Shed. Now this is mostly used for having the Fast Clock running and as this has not really proved worthwhile the holder was now the wrong size as the iPad it was made for has been given to a friend and my current one is somewhat larger. So today I modified the size to match the new iPad Air that I have. Below shows the basic construction.
40397083-622B-419C-93EC-952A0F958946.jpegHowever the forward facing eye was hidden by the holding wood so a quick mod shows how it has been revised and where it sits in use.
24C975B3-53BD-45FE-AE0D-9860409F0867.jpegNow the revelation made was that the iPhone and indeed iPad can do Time Lapse movies. I had though that oh yes he has got an iPhone 12 or something flash like that, but and a real joy my 6 or so year old iPhone has the feature as well, so do my iPads hence the holder mods. Here is a short demo showing me tidying up after the work.

And here is the Vid that got me going on this, possibly this may be of help to anyone doing a big shed installation of their Garden Railway indoor section, his subroadbed installation may also be of interest in his next vid. All done using the Time Laps feature, do not be put off by his Rocket and Helicopter starts to the vids. They are both very interesting.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Here's a couple of mine I made a year or so ago....
Both on Hartland chassis but one has smaller wheels with a coupling height adjustment
View attachment 275353
I concur with Paul, if you have looked at one of my build threads you will see that I am a great beliEver of using card and paper. But I also use Plasticard as well and found a recent good tip to cut up Margarine Tubes to use as Wagon Strapping and detail. Of course will need a good degrease first and cut to get just the flat parts.

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
A bit more on with the conversion to an 8 window coach, after a lot of measuring, trimming, more measuring and trimming, I've got some bits stuck together and more importantly, I now know how long it's going to be !
any how a pic, can't see the join eh! ;) which is more that can be said about the chassis!
DSC_0025.JPG

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Firstly, thank you for all the thumbs up's and positive comments.
I'm now looking at fitting a no: 6 14 v Seuthe smoke generator inside the funnel.
It leaves about 1 mm clearance between the funnel wall. How hot do these things get?
Will it melt the 1.5 mm wall thickness acrylic tube that the funnel is made from? Also, does anyone know of a liquid heat proof compound that I could fill the gap with?
Regards,
Paul.
View attachment 275257

It won't melt the stack.......I wouldn't worry about sealing the gap, none of my locos have been a problem with a Seuthe
/LGB/Massoth smoke unit fitted.

Last edited:

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I got a replacement pulsed smoke unit for my LGB 20273 G3/4 LD1 Rhatia about 4 weeks ago from Modell-Land.de. I finally got around to installing it today. I had been dreading tearing into the lok again figuring the installation to be a multi day affair. Surprisingly, it only took me about about two hours. The smoke unit, Märklin part no. E297811, comes with all the necessary wire harnesses already soldered in place so it was literally just a matter if unplugging the defective unit and plugging in the new one. :clap: The price was right too at only 25.82€! :party: Unfortunately the postage, 39.99€, forced me to buy some other goodies to amortize cost.:devil:

LD1 Smokes again - 1.jpeg