What happened at your workbench today?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Not admitted defeat just yet :) printing new Ears, no idea what they are called the bit the slider rods screw too :) think it might work :sweating: Last test run a lot less clicking sounds, still just there so another hour or so and its test run number three with new Ears..
OK, just so we don't get confused :oops::oops:

The coupling rods connect to each of the three wheels, and the con rods to the pistons.

Now, where the con rod mounts on a longer screw in the centre driver, can you use a sleeve that is wider than the con rod? That will give the con rod some side play.

Some of the R-T-R locos use that principle - in fact they often introduce a bit of slop all over the place, but then they're probably in a position to design it so :think::think:

Ah, just testing - you have got the coupling rods set at 90 degrees (not 180 degrees) haven't you? Nod for yes :nod::nod:

Reactions: 1 user

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
OK, just so we don't get confused :oops::oops:

The coupling rods connect to each of the three wheels, and the con rods to the pistons.

Now, where the con rod mounts on a longer screw in the centre driver, can you use a sleeve that is wider than the con rod? That will give the con rod some side play.

Some of the R-T-R locos use that principle - in fact they often introduce a bit of slop all over the place, but then they're probably in a position to design it so :think::think:

Ah, just testing - you have got the coupling rods set at 90 degrees (not 180 degrees) haven't you? Nod for yes :nod::nod:

Rods are set as per the gearbox on arrival :) so they should be correct. Finally after a day re-printing and testing got it to run without noise :) the long coupling rod that connects to all three wheels is one piece , I tried two separate ones at the very start that was a nightmare :D

The center hole is now a vertical slot so the up and down movement of the wheel no longer has the same adverse effects on the coupling rod . Now on the center wheel between the main coupling rod and the shorter con rod connected to the slider / piston,. I have added a spacer, the center wheels can still move there full distance side to side but now they don't cause the con rod connected to the slider to catch on anything , and new mounting ears helped as well.

So that's a whole day gone to sort that little problem out. I just hope the new slider bars I ordered when they get here as the same just black ones, I borrowed this set off a Stainz. I could have printed some but at the price LGB ones cost as spares less than £2 each, it wasn't worth trying to see how well they wear and last, as the LGB ones will probably out last the rest of the Locos life..

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Rods are set as per the gearbox on arrival :) so they should be correct. Finally after a day re-printing and testing got it to run without noise :) the long coupling rod that connects to all three wheels is one piece , I tried two separate ones at the very start that was a nightmare :D

The center hole is now a vertical slot so the up and down movement of the wheel no longer has the same adverse effects on the coupling rod . Now on the center wheel between the main coupling rod and the shorter con rod connected to the slider / piston,. I have added a spacer, the center wheels can still move there full distance side to side but now they don't cause the con rod connected to the slider to catch on anything , and new mounting ears helped as well.

So that's a whole day gone to sort that little problem out. I just hope the new slider bars I ordered when they get here as the same just black ones, I borrowed this set off a Stainz. I could have printed some but at the price LGB ones cost as spares less than £2 each, it wasn't worth trying to see how well they wear and last, as the LGB ones will probably out last the rest of the Locos life..
It's surprising how these little things, like the vertical slot rather than a hole, provide just that element of play that is necessary in a G-scale model to make it work smoothly.

It's also surprising just how much play you can have in the motion rods and the loco will still run smoothly - that was the point of my asking about the wheel quartering - slots as opposed to holes will work because when one side is prepared to slop up and down in its slot, the other side is at 90 degrees and keeps the wheels turning correctly :nerd::nerd:

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Today Grumpy Bear got Smoke and sounds :) not sure they are all really synchronized , might look if there is a chuff sensor for the Piko block rather than using the generated sync mode on the decoder and the smoke and sounds all seem to be a lot faster than the Loco is. The Pulse Generator I had in another Loco that dosn't get used a lot,so swapped it to this one, I had forgotten how much this thing can drink :)

smoke.jpg

Last edited:

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
The CFR is definitely having a population explosion Casey

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
a day painting in the sunshine yesterday and a day laid on the grass ( new workbench when hot ) assembling Grumpy Bear, then it got too hot so just ran trains for a bit , They don't have too be complete to run them :)

grumpy2.jpg

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Today I am losing or breaking more bits than fitting now, and even with a Boxer (dog) helping you to search for whatever it is you dropped :D , I have still lost a running number, a couple of levers and a sand box lid and broken the handrail on the tank twice now.... time to call it a day I think

grumpy03.jpg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
20200813_160658.jpg
I have finished the painting of the first coach. Looks fine from usual viewing distance, probably even better from further away though! Wickes Riyal Sapphire Sapphire emulsion match pot and varnish. Time will see if it stands up to the rough and tumble of our garden railway world

Markku

Registered
19 Jul 2020
Finland
Best answers
Country flag
I assembled these:
24574173-D768-4BA3-870A-F9898B3BBFFC.jpeg

They are from the LGB club welcome package.

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 271543
I have finished the painting of the first coach. Looks fine from usual viewing distance, probably even better from further away though! Wickes Riyal Sapphire Sapphire emulsion match pot and varnish. Time will see if it stands up to the rough and tumble of our garden railway world
A lovely colour that is!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
A lovely colour that is!
Thank you, I'm pretty sure it isn't a prototypical colour but I saw an advertisement for a coach in one of the magazines in this colour, and it just seemed "right"

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you, I'm pretty sure it isn't a prototypical colour but I saw an advertisement for a coach in one of the magazines in this colour, and it just seemed "right"
I think that's pretty close to the Sardinian narrow gauge colour scheme :nod::nod:

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Delivery earlier from Bertram, bits and pieces for several new projects.

Massoth M Decoder with SUSI interface to connect to a Dietz sound decoder, with a project sound file loaded for a small diesel, for the Diema DS 60.

On my workbench.png

Last edited:

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Before I go back to Building Grumpy Bear , Buxus got a new fence now the platform has moved to the outside of the tracks , playmobil panels and printed posts then all sprayed white, less than £10 in total so I'm happy :)

fence02.jpg

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
The sloping end panels are nicely made.