Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
They are nice..

Do they work?

PhilP.

Yep but i cheated and used LED's instead of oil :) test below before handle was fitted.

LED.jpg

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
The lamps look great Sid. Are they your own prints? Is it a micro (square) LED and a clear lense from somewhere or just a large LED built into the lamp body?

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Oh! and a two-axle (four-wheel) bogie, would probably cure the 'no-steering' problem? :nerd::think:

So this didn't work :( :(
Camera wagon mock-up.jpg

And I thought I may have had issues so bought a set of "bogie steering linkage"
DSC_0219.jpg

Fitted okay, but not really successful. So next as suggested the twin axle bogie wagon:
DSC_0220.jpg

May be my expectations are two high, and though I have to have a trial with camera fixed (when it arrives), but even with the camera pivot point forward of the bogie pivot point it does not seem to turn as far as I expected!!

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
The lamps look great Sid. Are they your own prints? Is it a micro (square) LED and a clear lense from somewhere or just a large LED built into the lamp body?

Thanks, they are printed on my Resin printer with a brass handle added the lense are 8mm Glass Cabochons bought online, inside or mounted on the Loco where this fits is the 2 pin small round black socket you find on LGB locos along with their push in bulbs which are not LED's thinking about it, the lamp then pushes onto the mounting base containing the lamp so you can take it off to fit a new bulb if needed.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks, they are printed on my Resin printer with a brass handle added the lense are 8mm Glass Cabochons bought online, inside or mounted on the Loco where this fits is the 2 pin small round black socket you find on LGB locos along with their push in bulbs which are not LED's thinking about it, the lamp then pushes onto the mounting base containing the lamp so you can take it off to fit a new bulb if needed.

Excellent marrying of existing technology, with new.. :):clap:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
So this didn't work :( :(
View attachment 270121

And I thought I may have had issues so bought a set of "bogie steering linkage"
View attachment 270119

Fitted okay, but not really successful. So next as suggested the twin axle bogie wagon:
View attachment 270120

May be my expectations are two high, and though I have to have a trial with camera fixed (when it arrives), but even with the camera pivot point forward of the bogie pivot point it does not seem to turn as far as I expected!!
Bogies don't pivot very much - a longer truck will give greater bogie movement.

But, I'm assuming that you want the camera to follow the track, so maybe extending the coupling extension bar a bit further will do the trick - it will cause the camera to anticipate the curve ................... in theory :worried: because the preceding vehicle will have already taken the curve :happy::happy:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I was going to say, I think the camera has to be behind the leading bogie pivot? - But I think the above covers it??

I have seen a car where there was gearing to increase the amount of movement of the camera slightly..

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I was going to say, I think the camera has to be behind the leading bogie pivot? - But I think the above covers it??

I have seen a car where there was gearing to increase the amount of movement of the camera slightly..
I'd thought about that, but you're moving into more complex engineering for the gears and a smoothly operating pivot.

I s'pose the other way would be to have the camera at the back of the wagon :think::think::think: should have the same effect n'est ce pas?

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Their's looks shinier than yours! :p:giggle:

What are the Bowater's bogies like, please?
PhilP.

Northsider

3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Their's looks shinier than yours! :p:giggle:

What are the Bowater's bogies like, please?
PhilP.
I don't know -they weren't available when I ordered, and I had some secondhand ones that I made narrower to fit between the running boards (post 427). I could be wrong, but I wouldn't think an MDF diamond frame bogie would last long...

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I could be wrong, but I wouldn't think an MDF diamond frame bogie would last long...

I believe they have bearings/bushes for the axles.. But it is down to how well you seal the MDF I would guess? - Also, choice of adhesive(s)??

Northsider

3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
I believe they have bearings/bushes for the axles.. But it is down to how well you seal the MDF I would guess? - Also, choice of adhesive(s)??
Having dropped a Tenmille diamond frame bogie the other day, and successfully unsoldered, straightened and soldered it back together, I think I need the reassurance of a sturdier material!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Titebond 2 is the external adhesive of choice - the big debate is whether to seal / paint before gluing or after :think::think:

Oxford or Cambridge - it's a toss up :nerd::nerd:

Hal Farsed

D.P. Gumby.
7 Apr 2014
Staffordshire, England.
Best answers
Country flag
So this didn't w...

...my expectations are two high, and though I have to have a trial with camera fixed (when it arrives), but even with the camera pivot point forward of the bogie pivot point it does not seem to turn as far as I expected!!

Have a look at this JimmyB. It might help you.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Have a look at this JimmyB. It might help you.

John,

Now that really looks good, and my second donor, is pretty close, hopefully I can work with this.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I'd thought about that, but you're moving into more complex engineering for the gears and a smoothly operating pivot.

I s'pose the other way would be to have the camera at the back of the wagon :think::think::think: should have the same effect n'est ce pas?
Beat me to it

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Beat me to it
I was thinking a bit more about that idea, I think you'd have to have the camera linked to the front bogie, or you're back to square one, only back to front :confused::confused:

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
This morning I put a “felt” roof on my goods shed (duck tape with rattle can mist coat)

362D414E-0EB7-415E-86A0-5BAB9621D9B1.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users