What happened at your workbench today?

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
Now it seems the low bit, (I don't know what it's called, the part that's pushed up in order to uncouple) is too low. It's in danger of hitting a rail at a turnout or a crossing.

I think your new coupling loops are Aristocraft. They can be useful in some ways as the metal springs mean they can fit in some gaps that LGB style springs can not.

I also had to cut a chunk of the bottom of the hooks as they caught going backwards through points. The hook has a nice line vertical line moulded in that seemed like a pretty good guide. Other than that they were very reliable.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I agree for track power the flywheel is a great addition, but not just for that my Roundhouse Jack has a stonking great SloMo Flywheel that makes driving it a thing you need to think more carefully about and this Hymec will have Battery Power as well so will be my first Battery Powered loco with flywheels. Be interesting to see how it pans out.
I don't think those flywheels will give much different driving feel under battery R/C. What I did find really fascinating was driving an R/C Gauge 1 steam outline loco with adjustable inertia (owned by the Mr Fosworks before he took over from Peter Spoerer).

Now that was really great, as you had to work out when to ease off, in order to bring the train to a standstill at the platform - I could have played with it for hours :clap::clap::clap: well, I did have a pretty decent go ;)

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Good point. I wonder if the idea is that the momentum of heavy stock is sufficient to keep 'em rolling.
That's the problem of worm gear drives - it cannot accept any overrun. So, a weightier train will add more strain to the gearbox if the loco stutters on dirty track.

A flywheel eases the stress on the gearbox as well as allowing for a little bit of forward momentum if the loco stutters.

For most diesel locos and many steam outline locos in 00 and 0 gauges, flywheels are the norm. Almost all 00 diesels have a central motor with twin flywheels.

So why ignore the practice in an environment that is more likely to have dirty track? Where do the manufacturers keep their brains?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I don't think those flywheels will give much different driving feel under battery R/C. What I did find really fascinating was driving an R/C Gauge 1 steam outline loco with adjustable inertia (owned by the Mr Fosworks before he took over from Peter Spoerer).

Now that was really great, as you had to work out when to ease off, in order to bring the train to a standstill at the platform - I could have played with it for hours :clap::clap::clap: well, I did have a pretty decent go ;)
Funny I have now stopped buying Rx with inertia as I find it to be a pain, I also get rid of it on my DCC Locs. I guess I like to drive with gentle acceleration or slow down rather than let a piece of software take over the task for me. Each to his own I guess, but then I run my railway a way where shunting and regular station stops are the order of the day rather than running in a circle, though I occasionally do that as well.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Cab now out of the Rivet shop, and into Paint, In theory the Blue stays on the outside and its still a nice white color inside, in Theory.

blue cab.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Funny I have now stopped buying Rx with inertia as I find it to be a pain, I also get rid of it on my DCC Locs. I guess I like to drive with gentle acceleration or slow down rather than let a piece of software take over the task for me. Each to his own I guess, but then I run my railway a way where shunting and regular station stops are the order of the day rather than running in a circle, though I occasionally do that as well.
Yep, but, I think the idea of inertia is meant to provide the feel of driving a train with however many hundred tons of weight behind you, so that shutting off the throttle is a bit like applying the brakes - the only difference being that you don't have any control over how hard the brakes are being applied.

But, each to their own :):)

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Test Match Special on the radio, and a project on the workbench. Ten points to whoever guesses what it is I'm making.
DSCF5829.JPG

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
I also finished off the final figure from the Roundhouse “Short Staff” range:-
6BC45997-7C2B-4307-AF79-DBC940E60639.jpeg
Lord Angus Montcreef, Sir Garfield Montcreef’s older brother and Chairman of the CFR board of directors. He is also a fully qualified locomotive driver.

Northsider

3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Cricket field and those are the boundary fence?
Now that's a thought; but no stretch of the Northern is level enough to accommodate a lineside cricket pitch!

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Well eventually have my "camera wagon" working:

Camera-Wagon.jpg

So this is the set up for the initial trial, the rock a temporary fix to provide some stability. So what does the feed look like:

A quick run around the circuit, not bad, well i like it :)

Reactions: 3 users

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

View attachment 270276

So this is the set up for the initial trial, the rock a temporary fix to provide some stability. So what does the feed look like:

Clearly your perseverance has paid dividends. Having got it working I wonder if a Metal one (of the same design) would give more stability on exiting curves?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I also finished off the final figure from the Roundhouse “Short Staff” range:-
View attachment 270268
Lord Angus Montcreef, Sir Garfield Montcreef’s older brother and Chairman of the CFR board of directors. He is also a fully qualified locomotive driver.

But not today.. - It look's like he has had a pint of something a little 'lively', post-lockdown? :):nod::nod:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

View attachment 270276

That's certainly one of the best that I have seen - sharrafter borrow it :devil: :devil:

Northsider

3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
But not today.. - It look's like he has had a pint of something a little 'lively', post-lockdown? :):nod::nod:
I think you'll find that, as a member of the aristocracy, Lord Angus has had a snifter of single malt and soda. Nothing more!

Northsider

3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Now that's a thought; but no stretch of the Northern is level enough to accommodate a lineside cricket pitch!
OK; I give in. Sheep bars:
DSCF5830.JPG
they were fitted to the IMR three-plank wagons on mart days for moving sheep. The cattle had used up all the cattle vans...