What happened at your workbench today?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Is it scaled to 16mm? Many moons ago I built a 10mm models kit of a 16mm scale TnD Cattle Truck. I was building at 15mm to the foot at the time. When finished it was surprising the difference in height compared to a 15mm model. I got away with it (sort of) by using smaller wheels but then got another kit cutting it down in height and width to match 15mm scale. This was used as a basis for scratch building some more. The 16mm model can be seen in the first pic of the thread below in the first pic. The difference in height can still be clearly seen.
I seem to recall that Ivan (of IP Engineering) stated at one time that his models were designed to proportional size, rather than trues scale, so that they could be run together without looking out of place.

Whether he's changed that philosophy over the years, I don't know :mm::mm:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I seem to recall that Ivan (of IP Engineering) stated at one time that his models were designed to proportional size, rather than trues scale, so that they could be run together without looking out of place.

Whether he's changed that philosophy over the years, I don't know :mm::mm:
There does appear to be quite a bit of elastic ruler about, LGB not being the only parties. Not sure what the answer is but it does make life tricky for the ‘scale’ modeller. In days gone by the Modeller in particular and other mags used to make a great deal about integrity of model size to the scale used.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
There does appear to be quite a bit of elastic ruler about, LGB not being the only parties. Not sure what the answer is but it does make life tricky for the ‘scale’ modeller. In days gone by the Modeller in particular and other mags used to make a great deal about integrity of model size to the scale used.
I think one of the aspects of railway modelling that pervades more in garden railways than any other is the 'impressionist' modelling. I think this comes about because of:

• The difference in scale between the trains and the natural landscape
  • The viewing distances
  • The comparatively small market for garden railways
As we've frequently said before, the ability to run different scales so that they look OK together was one of the main deciding factors in Aristo and USAT going 1:29 instead of 1:32 - thus 1:29 standard gauge produced a physically similar size to 1:24 narrow gauge.

But for us scale pedants, it does provide the odd challenge.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I have the IP colonial railbus, and the smaller "Chinese" 1:24 figures were a good fit, 1:19 were far to large. So what scale is it, I don't know, and don't care, it fits my railway without looking out of place :)

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
I have the IP colonial railbus, and the smaller "Chinese" 1:24 figures were a good fit, 1:19 were far to large. So what scale is it, I don't know, and don't care, it fits my railway without looking out of place :)
My live steam loco is 7/8ths scale, this photo makes the loco look oversize but end to end they actually look good together, as does the Manx Northern Railway passenger brake van which is 15mm:ft scale.
So yep, they look fine running together so run together they do :)

Attachments

• 20210629_170545.jpg
    20210629_170545.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 0

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
More work on the cattle van, it is more or less 15mm, but has (or had now I've got at it!) Deeper buffer beams for 16mm couplings.
First end clamped and the 2 M wagon bodies assembled.
20221214_141734.jpg
Second side added.
20221214_193629.jpg
And final end.
20221216_124147.jpg
Now just waiting for the weather to warm up a bit and have a grey spray day :happy: we where talking the other night, we presume that the inside would have been "Lime washed"? Any thoughts?

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Is it scaled to 16mm? Many moons ago I built a 10mm models kit of a 16mm scale TnD Cattle Truck. I was building at 15mm to the foot at the time. When finished it was surprising the difference in height compared to a 15mm model. I got away with it (sort of) by using smaller wheels but then got another kit cutting it down in height and width to match 15mm scale. This was used as a basis for scratch building some more. The 16mm model can be seen in the first pic of the thread below in the first pic. The difference in height can still be clearly seen.
The T&D open cattle vans look very similar to the fist IMR ones which also had open roofs and diagonal planking. Also love the Walker Bros diesel, the IMR nearly bought them, but the cost was to much so they just bought the 2 railcars (19&20) and 2 turntables, of which one was made from a set of loco frames, neither where used though and scrapped in the 1975 "Ballasalla Bonfire".

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
we presume that the inside would have been "Lime washed"? Any thoughts?
I think the subject has been up before, and the opinion was that lime wash is the right thing

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I think the subject has been up before, and the opinion was that lime wash is the right thing
Cattle wagons in days of old were indeed lime washed to clean up the pollution of cows or for that matter sheep pooping and p’ing, thus leaving white staining on the vehicles. Probably went out of fasion due to the effect of lime wash remains on the beasts.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I think one of the aspects of railway modelling that pervades more in garden railways than any other is the 'impressionist' modelling. I think this comes about because of:

• The difference in scale between the trains and the natural landscape
  • The viewing distances
  • The comparatively small market for garden railways
As we've frequently said before, the ability to run different scales so that they look OK together was one of the main deciding factors in Aristo and USAT going 1:29 instead of 1:32 - thus 1:29 standard gauge produced a physically similar size to 1:24 narrow gauge.

But for us scale pedants, it does provide the odd challenge.
Don't forget, especially in the narrow gauge world, there was a vast difference in size of rolling stock between each company. So... any enterprise with a limited budget would buy second hand from where thy could, so, therefore, any difference in rolling stock size is perfectly acceptable as prototypical. Unless, of course, you're dedicated to one line.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
A 3 pin LGB 2062 being batterificated for casey jones snr casey jones snr of this parish. Switch location proved to be trickier and needing lots of brain ache. But with no sound to worry about the rest of it proving to be not so trickier a job.
3CD7B705-5BF1-40DE-94D1-A3032F89DD0F.jpeg

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
More work on the cattle van, it is more or less 15mm, but has (or had now I've got at it!) Deeper buffer beams for 16mm couplings.
First end clamped and the 2 M wagon bodies assembled.
View attachment 307744
Second side added.
View attachment 307745
And final end.
View attachment 307746
Now just waiting for the weather to warm up a bit and have a grey spray day :happy: we where talking the other night, we presume that the inside would have been "Lime washed"? Any thoughts?
The IMR histories suggest lime wash was the norm in the early days, though how long the practice persisted is anyone's guess; they were more than likely hosed out at the end on the day, which probably explains why most of them got rebuilt at least twice and ended their working lives in the '50s and '60s rotten as the proverbial pear. There are photos of them with broken backs, crumbling headstocks and at least one where the entire side had fallen off...

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
A wee bit of progress one three fronts, sorta.

One end refitted to the open tram I am tweaking a wee bitty. This has been made a little more interesting by Bachmann because the lower bodies are slightly different depths each side, this isn't noticed and doesn't matter until one swaps the bodies around.

My earlier attempts to curve new seat end panels didn't go quite as hoped and planned using a single thicknesses piece of plasticard, so I have gone back to an old tried and tested way to make some front seat side panels, 3 layers of plasticard glued together and formed against the existing seat side panel, today I'll shape the ends and clean things up and hopefully I'll have a successful way to make the new seat sides for the platform end of the tram.

My third modelling advance, on a different tram conversion, having decided to try LED strips for the interior lighting I thought I'd also try a different way of connecting to the power supply, the piece of black plastic with a centre round area to clear the trolley pole bolt has teenie tiny screws which don't like being re-re-used, so to avoid having to run new wires and to avoid having to re-re-move the centre section I have fixed some nickel silver wire/rod through the plastic cover, this means if the screws p me off I can just glue the thing in place and not think about having to access the hidden wires in the roof again.

All wee small advancements but advancements non the less. Now all I need is to be left alone during the silly annoying season of the year and I'll get something finished, well may be, either that or another project started

Attachments

• 20221219_075541.jpg
    20221219_075541.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221218_231002.jpg
    20221218_231002.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221218_231034.jpg
    20221218_231034.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 0

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
The IMR histories suggest lime wash was the norm in the early days, though how long the practice persisted is anyone's guess; they were more than likely hosed out at the end on the day, which probably explains why most of them got rebuilt at least twice and ended their working lives in the '50s and '60s rotten as the proverbial pear. There are photos of them with broken backs, crumbling headstocks and at least one where the entire side had fallen off...
Hmm, and here's me about to head to the paintshop now the iron work has been fitted
Next job "distressing"?
20221219_074941.jpg
I could go "radical" for the post "Ballasalla bonfire" look?
20221219_081037.jpg

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Next job "distressing"?
I turn mine out 'ex works' and let time and steam oil etc. do the rest!

Ballasalla bonfire is a bit extreme! That way you could describe the rest of the garden as 'the Peel/Northern line post 1968'!

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Paint applied :)
20221219_120142.jpg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
No one will ever look at this again..
IMG_20221212_145547.jpg
Buried under the chassis of an Aristocraft RDC.. I don't have any P-channel FET's in stock, so relays it is!
:nerd:

PhilP.

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Wheels and brake gear fitted today, but will there be anyone progress until Monday???
20221223_180617.jpg

Gérard Baudoin

Registered
13 Jan 2021
Bretagne - France -Europe
Best answers
Country flag
Hello tout le monde de partout et d'ailleurs, merry xmas!

".....This is not the beginning of the end, rather the end of the beginning. "

Rendez-vous en 2023..... et portez vous bien.

DSCF9589.JPGDSCF9590.JPG

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag