Best answers
Country flag

miniboB

Registered
6 Mar 2020
Union Grove
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks, I was able to find it by entering the items description. I didn't order the same one, but a slightly smaller desk from another manufacturer. My space is very limited while we are between houses and living in a single wide manufactured home. I like the idea of being able to sit with my wife and each of us work on our projects.
How bout pictures of your new table/desk?

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Today's little projects due to continuous rainfall, are:
Fitting a new sound decoder to my 2095 Bobo (along with volume control stalk and speaker)
and cleaning up and lubricating the wheels on 4 number Hartland flat wagons - fitted with SanVal ball bearing wheelsets - fitted 15 years ago and still spinning freely with a squirt of WD40 on each wheel.

IMG_2457.jpgIMG_2439.jpg

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Not strictly modelling, but a small example of how to gain domestic goodwill and show it is not just about playing trains but is in fact a useful source of vital DIY skills and materials. Having been bashing recently, I had Milliput to hand and was able to restore a missing chunk that had broken out of Dra Estrecha's Dyson. :happy:dyson_repair.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Not strictly modelling, but a useful example of how to gain domestic goodwill and show it is not just about playing trains but is in fact a useful source of vital DIY skills and materials. Having been bashing recently, I had Milliput to hand and was able to restore a missing chunk that had broken out of Dra Estrecha's Dyson. :happy:View attachment 307120
You certainly know how to look after a woman :nerd::nerd::nerd: especially after buying her a Dyson in the first place :*

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I know someone who bought an iron for his wife as a birthday present. He was walking funny for 6 months afterwards. I'm amazed how she got in, myself

viaEstrecha

25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I know someone who bought an iron for his wife as a birthday present. He was walking funny for 6 months afterwards. I'm amazed how she got in, myself
I did that, 40 odd years ago - never been forgiven! :wasntme:

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I did that, 40 odd years ago - never been forgiven! :wasntme:
My misses asked for a hot air gun for Xmas many years ago. She was into stripping paint off doors at the time. I was happy to oblige!

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Pointed end first, lump hammer applied to t'other end o_O

viaEstrecha

25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I hope that's not the voice of experience. Could that be the reason for the missing lump hammer?:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Where do they go? I've been missing one all summer and suddenly, for no apparent reason, there are now both of them back on the shelf!:think:

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Where do they go? I've been missing one all summer and suddenly, for no apparent reason, there are now both of them back on the shelf!:think:
Poltergeists :eek:
Or Sra Estrecha has decided on a tidier way to dispose of you >:)

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Spent a couple of hours today tweeking the LokSound 5L decoder I recently installed in my LGB 2040 croc. This replaced a LokPilot V4.0 XL (no sound) I had installed around seven years ago. I never expected sound to be such a big part of my large scale experience when I first started my outdoor RR but I sure miss it when I put a mute loco on the rails. The decoder upgrade was all part of a major overhaul of the croc. It had started running rather lumpy with one motor block being particularly egregious. Disassembly and cleaning did not solve the issue this time. A few years ago I had blown out the motors with contact cleaner which gave me couple of extra years running. This time she got two new replacement motors. This loco is almost 40 years old and has given me a lot of service. It's not quite the longevity of the prototype RhB No. 413 but I imagine the prototype got some major rework in its lifetime too!

You might wonder why a LokSound 5L instead of the 5XL. I originally bought the 5L decoder to replace a LokSound V4.0 XL I had used in my animated "Little Red Riding Hood" wagon. It plays the song "Little Red Riding Hood" by Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs when the sliding door opens revealing the "Big Bad Wolf" inside. I was going to use the V4.0 XL in the croc after re-loading the Ge 6/6 I sound project. On checking the specs though, it looked like the 5L would handle the croc without a problem. The motor output of the 5L is 3 amps max. My two motor 2040 croc normally draws around 1.2 amp which rises to around 1.9 amps on my 3.5% spiral grade when pulling a full complement of wagons. The only other loads on the decoder are lights and sound.

But, getting back to my croc, I started with the decoder's default Bühler motor BEMF settings. I then ran the ESU decoder motor self-calibration five times checking the resulting settings each time. It settled in with some of the settings quite a bit different from the default settings. This could be due to the decoder running two motors instead of just one. In any case, the loco is a lovely runner now with very smooth slow speed operation. All set for another 40 years service! I only wish I had that kind of longevity left myself!:envy:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Clearly you have been doing some adjustments in your batteryfications and forgot that you placed said hammers neatly on the shelf after use.

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Last night and this morning I have been mainly changing rails! As most of the ebay haul was curved at some point, they had long and short rails, so I have been swapping them to make up equal lengths 20221204_102904.jpg
A spray of wd40, clamped in the workmate and hopefully pull out rail with pliers, this stop the majority of sleepers from crabing and jamming the rail as it is coming out
20221204_103941.jpg
I now have 3 x 3' lengths and 2x35", with another 4 to go at, then it will be on to the ones around 2'.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Odd pics in other threads have shown my PM former Electric Bogie loco on the bench. Finally got it working to my satisfaction and installed lighting. Or should I say re-installed as the originals stripped out. Will not be able to get much more done now as the next stage will be spray painting and tis too cold in the shed and outside for that. Visiting battery conversion left sits waiting its turn. Gauge 3 West Somerset Coach right sitting on the test track awaits small detail and lettering to complete.
029A8175-8ED7-4665-BC82-329D4931E680.jpeg

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Latest project, an IMR cattle van from IP, a few tweeks to get it something like, reducing the height and raising the floor.
All the bits laid out for pondering :think:
20221211_181631.jpg
Adjustments made and wood sealer applied
20221213_143025.jpg
A strange thing happened when I put the lid on the sealer, it sprang a leak, fortunately, not on the dining room table or me, not very good if it can't seal a leak in its own tin:D
Also in the queue are 2 M wagons and 1H wagon, I'm thinking of making the bodies of all 3 and spray all 4 together, in the garage of course ;)

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Latest project, an IMR cattle van from IP, a few tweeks to get it something like, reducing the height and raising the floor.
View attachment 307655
View attachment 307656
A strange thing happened when I put the lid on the sealer, it sprang a leak, fortunately, not on the dining room table or me, not very good if it can't seal a leak in its own tin:D
Also in the queue are 2 M wagons and 1H wagon, I'm thinking of making the bodies of all 3 and spray all 4 together, in the garage of course ;)
Very nice, I have decide to restrict my 45mm gauge Manx modelling to the Manx Electric Railway, it will be good to see your progress with the IMR rolling stock kits though.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 307655
View attachment 307656
Is it scaled to 16mm? Many moons ago I built a 10mm models kit of a 16mm scale TnD Cattle Truck. I was building at 15mm to the foot at the time. When finished it was surprising the difference in height compared to a 15mm model. I got away with it (sort of) by using smaller wheels but then got another kit cutting it down in height and width to match 15mm scale. This was used as a basis for scratch building some more. The 16mm model can be seen in the first pic of the thread below in the first pic. The difference in height can still be clearly seen.

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Content updated.

Last edited: