What decoder required

adamski

Registered
14 Jul 2016
kent
Best answers
Country flag
Hi everyone

Not seen a board like this before in any off my other lgb stuff what decoder plug straight into this or is better to cut the plug of and install a decoder. Ideally like a decoder that can take a power buffer and plug straight into the existing pcb

many thanks

adam

Attachments

• 20220831_155029.jpg
    20220831_155029.jpg
    489 KB · Views: 0

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi everyone

Not seen a board like this before in any off my other lgb stuff what decoder plug straight into this or is better to cut the plug of and install a decoder. Ideally like a decoder that can take a power buffer and plug straight into the existing pcb

many thanks

adam
What does sticker underneath loco say?

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Marklin 15048055
Ah so a modern one, I was wondering if it was a Direct Decoder loco or some such beastie. Does not help with loco type, I thought many of the newer ones were DCC Sound? Surely that 2 pin connector to the left goes to a speaker?

adamski

Registered
14 Jul 2016
kent
Best answers
Country flag
Ah so a modern one, I was wondering if it was a Direct Decoder loco or some such beastie. Does not help with loco type, I thought many of the newer ones were DCC Sound? Surely that 2 pin connector to the left goes to a speaker?
Its a small black shunter from a lgb starter set no speaker that cable goes to rear lights all the small front ones go to front lights big grey connections one is from motor block the other goes to a switch in the cab there is like a pin socket on the pcb with a header board in it like what you find in oo gauge locos. Cant even find a manual for it as that codes comes up with zero results

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The '10 pin' header will allow you to connect a decoder.
You used to get a 10-way connector (plus motor/track leads) with a new decoder.
I believe they are now sold separately?

PhilP

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Its a small black shunter from a lgb starter set no speaker that cable goes to rear lights all the small front ones go to front lights big grey connections one is from motor block the other goes to a switch in the cab there is like a pin socket on the pcb with a header board in it like what you find in oo gauge locos. Cant even find a manual for it as that codes comes up with zero results
Ok so I have what I think you are talking about, mine likely had a similar board to yours. Had a real problem fitting anything extra inside (I wanted to add sound to mine) I managed to stuff an LGB sound box in using space in the cab roof and inside the hood where I could fit things. Good luck, but I think the weight is smaller these days so you may have fewer problems than I did.