Western figures

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
What figures do any of you use for western themed passenger cars, cant seem to find any? (should add i am more in trested in seated figures)

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
I just used the very cheap ones from china, probable about 1/2" scale it is so hard to see in the coaches about all you see is color detail is lost, if you want some for like standing in a box car door or on one of the car platforms I would use preiser they make the best detail ones

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
What figures do any of you use for western themed passenger cars, cant seem to find any? (should add i am more in trested in seated figures)
What era do you need figures for? What scale are you working to?

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Preiser used to do a range of late 19th century western figures both seated and standing. I’ve used them in various US and Canadian coaches.

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Oh sore point,western figures are as plentiful as hens teeth here in the UK,LGB do a reasonable set of US seated figures that I have used but thats only 4 people,I use any model that I can change and get away with as my railroad is set in SW US western figures are a must so I try and represent the area but if you want something from the old western films,,,,never found any.Probably may be able to import but do I want to go down that road?Serves us right for going US outline.Posting a pic as an example of a Chinese cheapy and a Piko(?)sitting that I modified for my drovers caboose and the only real change are the plasticard hats!Only thing I ask is that you don`t wake em;);)I hope that someone on the forum may have the solution.LIGHT UNIT 002.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
What era do you need figures for? What scale are you working to?

All the stock is LGB so a sort of rubber rule scale to match that. We are talking LGB Mogul steam loco, so figures with cow boy hats etc. typical western type attire you see on the old films is what I am after weather that is actually correct or not isn’t really a problem to me.

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Oh sore point,western figures are as plentiful as hens teeth here in the UK,LGB do a reasonable set of US seated figures that I have used but thats only 4 people,I use any model that I can change and get away with as my railroad is set in SW US western figures are a must so I try and represent the area but if you want something from the old western films,,,,never found any.Probably may be able to import but do I want to go down that road?Serves us right for going US outline.Posting a pic as an example of a Chinese cheapy and a Piko(?)sitting that I modified for my drovers caboose and the only real change are the plasticard hats!Only thing I ask is that you don`t wake em;);)I hope that someone on the forum may have the solution.View attachment 248854

Does seem to be a pain i model 99% european stuff, but have always wanted a railway in my bed room at ceiling height since i was a kid so thought sod it, as i have no one but my self to stop me why not and brought a cheap lgb mogul and a few bits of rolling stock.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
The problem is that any Western figures in a seated position are usually designed for horses.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The problem is that any Western figures in a seated position are usually designed for horses.

You have to cut a piece out the 'inner-thigh', and force their legs together!! :eek::tmi::sweating::cry:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
You have to cut a piece out the 'inner-thigh', and force their legs together!! :eek::tmi::sweating::cry:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Oh boy, do I see dangerous territory ahead.....

David

adverse camber

Registered
2 Dec 2009
East Anglia
Best answers
Country flag
i Have all US outline with figures in all my coaches. I use whatever I can find. Western figures are hard to find for outside never mind worrying about in the coach. As the jog on by it is impossible to see more than the outline of a figure anyway thought the window. If you win the lottery, then you can pick up fantastic seated preieser figures mentioned above for about £7-10 each on ebay, but while it may give you the satisfaction of knowing they look correct none else will ever notice, and I reserve these for the great outdoors where they can be seen. In carriages I sue whatever I can find cheap.
Visitors seem amazed that there is anyone in the coaches (which are lit) and have never commented on them being out of scale or period.

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
i Have all US outline with figures in all my coaches. I use whatever I can find. Western figures are hard to find for outside never mind worrying about in the coach. As the jog on by it is impossible to see more than the outline of a figure anyway thought the window. If you win the lottery, then you can pick up fantastic seated preieser figures mentioned above for about £7-10 each on ebay, but while it may give you the satisfaction of knowing they look correct none else will ever notice, and I reserve these for the great outdoors where they can be seen. In carriages I sue whatever I can find cheap.
Visitors seem amazed that there is anyone in the coaches (which are lit) and have never commented on them being out of scale or period.

That might be the case in the garden but in doors at short viewing distances its noticeable, the only good thing is I only need people on one side of each passenger car as the other side is against the wall.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
The scale of the figure is always an issue but if inside a coach then you can be a little 'creative'.
I have a US outline layout and have gleaned figures from many sources.
Preiser obviously do a good range and LGB have done a couple of nice sets of US seated figures which pop up on ebay or at shows from time to time.

I also use Railroad Express, Woodland Scenics, 'Just Plain Folk', 'Supply Line model citizens' and modified Chinese Preiser copies.