Wellington Group March on Taita Gorge

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
I put my hand up, again, and hosted this month's running day for the Wellington Group.

A couple of 'first timers' came along, and thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon. So, let's get stuck into the event.

DSC_0042.JPG

First to arrive was David A, so he claimed initial running rights. David picked up this souvenir 'model' of the Rail Cart that runs on the Forgotten World rail experience (Golf carts on a mothballed line).
He had to motorise it, and gauge it properly. The pseudo luggage box on the back is actually a 9V battery, in disguise.

DSC_0043.JPG

When the hobby shop at the end of your train trip just happens to sell an LGB model of what you have just been on, you keep walking, don't you? Ah, silly question.

DSC_0044.JPG

This model had been lurking on Trade Me for some time, with no takers. Dave fronted the owner with a wad of the folding stuff........ As you can see, it ain't on Trade Me no more. Beautiful runner, too.

Reactions: 1 user

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
A spot of Americana. Outback on the Taita Gorge (suspicious characters lounging in the shade)

DSC_0045.JPG

....and a close up of the steamer.

DSC_0046.JPG

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
But wait, there's more.

DSC_0047.JPG

This crocodile rocks. Marty S., a group member for a while now, finally managed to get to see the much hyped Taita Gorge.

DSC_0048.JPG

Shot of the day? When you are holding the controls, you can stop anywhere you like, and this, I liked.

DSC_0049.JPG

I've actually seen this running on other members railways, and it is indeed a great pleasure to see it on mine.

Last edited:

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Some old favourites

DSC_0050.JPG

A gaggle, I think the term is. Phil S brought along his red goose to run with mine.

DSC_0051.JPG

'Hang on Phil, back 'er up a bit, slowly, whoa. The red was passing by, and that was worth a shot. Until last weekend, that road was buried 3 inches deep in pine needles.

DSC_0052.JPG

And, as the sun sets in the West, we bid you farewell from the Wellington Group at Taita Gorge.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Getting back to that tram, disregarding the more modern accoutrements, this Australian version certainly rings the bell.

Glenelg.jpg

Adelaide Class H (I think) that we travelled on to Glenelg in 1990. Proof of age, notice the Kodak Film advertisement.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Nice to have some visiting friends and unusual machines on your line. Great set of pics.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
:( One day, I'll suppose we'll be able to do the same:(

HowardSue

Registered
7 Nov 2020
La Pine Oregon USA
Best answers