Welcome to Highfield Junction

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Repost of update to this thread which was lost in server crash.

Nothing much has changed in terms of the railway track, other than a few more isolators so I can have two or three locos out at the same time. This works fine for me as I am very much of the roundy round school. All the buildings are now mounted on jackoboard, and underneath each board is wiring for lighting. There is a 3v feed to the station, and cabling running underground (protected by old hosepipe) from there to all the other locations that need lights.

Took advantage of the continuing good weather here to get out all my stock out on display and add some more photos.

View attachment 254306View attachment 254307View attachment 254308View attachment 254309View attachment 254310View attachment 254311View attachment 254312
Her/His self is out inspecting what is happening in Her/His garden.....;)

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
On the same topic as the previous photo, my missus suggested staging a derailment scene :)

derail.JPG

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Down here we have Hurricanes so don't complain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice looking layout and off to a good start

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Had a few warm days recently, so decided it was time to get trains out. I suspected I might need to do a wee bit of track maintenance, it hasn't been used all winter. But I didn't expect this!

02.JPG01.JPG

Several rails and clamps corroded beyond any possibility of saving. Replaced what damage I could see, but there were still connection problems. On closer inspection there was more damaged rails and clamps.

Over time the grit I had laid down for the track to lie on had got dirty, baby tears had grown thru it, and basically the track was sitting in almost permanant dampness. My own fault, I had kinda liked how it looked and didn't really expect that level of disintegration quite so quickly.
So, a good excuse to rip everything up and start with a new plan. This time, I have laid paving bricks for the track to sit on and horti grit as ballast. Then used plastic grass edging to separate the ballast from the dirt. Once I filled in all the spaces between bricks with grit it actually looks ok.
The paving bricks sit on a sharp sand base, and everything is levelled. Not perfectly but good enough that locos run fine. I'm gonna allow some time for it to bed in, then go back and finish off the levelling.

Heres how it looks as I added the bricks, and a few more photos to show how it is at the moment. A bit stark, but I'll get some low ground cover plants and a few more small trees in soon.

03.JPG04.JPG05.JPG06.JPG07.JPG08.jpg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Looking very tidy..

Did you by any chance, tend to leave your track permanently powered?

Even allowing for damp conditions, and bi-metalic corrosion, the damage seems excessive.

PhilP

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Looking very tidy..

Did you by any chance, tend to leave your track permanently powered?

Even allowing for damp conditions, and bi-metalic corrosion, the damage seems excessive.

PhilP

Interesting point. Yes, the track is powered more or less all the time. Not intentionally, I just never remember to turn it off!

The picture shows the worst examples, but in all I had eight rails and about 15 clamps that were damaged in this way. And as you can see, its not a big layout, so a significant loss rate.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thought that might be the case..

Worth fitting a lamp somewhere, so you know power is on..

If power is on, and things are damp, then metallic ions will migrate (move at a molecular level). This will cause 'rotting' of the track, joiners, and any soldered joints. Damp, possibly mildly-acidic, conditions, make this worse.
If flux is not cleaned from soldered joints, it is also affected.

PhilP

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thought that might be the case..

Worth fitting a lamp somewhere, so you know power is on..

If power is on, and things are damp, then metallic ions will migrate (move at a molecular level). This will cause 'rotting' of the track, joiners, and any soldered joints. Damp, possibly mildly-acidic, conditions, make this worse.
If flux is not cleaned from soldered joints, it is also affected.

PhilP

Useful info, thanks. And yes, the soil around the track is acidic, so that probably helps confirm your thoughts. Bird poo won't help either, and i get plenty of that!

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Happy to report that the laying of track on paving bricks has made a big difference to the running of locos. I'd guess the removal of a lot of the baby tears adjacent to the rails has helped too. Whatever, I'm really pleased with things. I am able to run trains very slowly without stuttering, even over the R1 points, and generally the layout is troublefree. Seem to have finally got to a point where I am surprised if there is a problem, rather than fixing one issue and anticipating another coming up over the horizon!
Of course, much of the success of my line is due to GSC, the help, advice and volume of resource here has been invaluable. Cap suitably doffed.

Here's some recent pics.

001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG005.JPG006.JPG

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
The watching cat picture reminds me of the *one* problem that affects my train running.rosie1.JPGrosie2.JPGrosie3.JPG

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Added a couple of wagons to my small collection, both from ebay. I now have 6 locos and 18 wagons for them to haul. Small beer compared to many here, but a lot more than I ever envisaged when I first put my oval on the dirt! There's always just one more thing and then I'm done :)
Also have a couple of buildings for the layout, but the weather here is to warm and sunny to sit indoors assembling them.

DSCF9323.JPGDSCF9324.jpg

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Several rails and clamps corroded beyond any possibility of saving. Replaced what damage I could see, but there were still connection problems. On closer inspection there was more damaged rails and clamps.
Shocked to see that extent of electrolytic corrosion damage! ;) You've made a great recovery though! I do like your little RR. Is upper management willing to tolerate an expansion yet?

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Shocked to see that extent of electrolytic corrosion damage! ;) You've made a great recovery though! I do like your little RR. Is upper management willing to tolerate an expansion yet?

For now, I'm pretty happy with the size. Its always been more of a garden feature than anything else, and it kinda fits nicely in that area. I'm more interested in making what I have reliable and manageable, and doing more with the landscaping to make a semi realistic backdrop. Thinking ahead, I suspect the next major change will be to lift the whole layout off the ground, cos I notice these days that my knees protest at prolonged kneeling!

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I used to leave my DCC power on all the time.... rails looked fine, but jumpers under switches dissolved:

no6_corrosion.JPG

steel, plated steel, tin plated copper, all food for galvanic action

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Another small update on my railway, the addition of a Piko farmhouse and a couple of trackside huts. (Spot the mountain lion foraging for some leftover food scraps!)

Both kits were super easy to build, but a wee bit too shiny perhaps. When I have a bit more time I will do some finishing touches to them, and spray some dull coat, but for now I was just keen to get them out and see where they were best placed on the layout. I have to be careful to use stones or plants to shield them, because rampaging squirrels knock things around from time to time.DSCF9329.JPGDSCF9331.JPG

Melbournesparks

Registered
30 Sep 2015
City of Eltham
Best answers
Country flag
oof yeah electrolytic corrosion can be brutal. I had that happen too, not an unrealistic problem for an electric tramway.

PXL_20220227_045955587 (Medium).jpg

Steel sleepers in a section of mass concrete track completely converted to iron oxide. I can usually get around this problem by trying to make sure the overhead wire is well insulated to stop power going to ground, but I guess that's a bit harder for track power.