Welcome to Highfield Junction

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I suppose I am now going to shoot my own argument in the foot. Just look at these 3 Locomotives, the first one at the Top was at a Museum in Orlando in 1992, the bottom 2 at the Cripple Creek Preserved line in Colorado 1994. Converting any one of these from a Stainz would not be a particularly hard task.

View attachment 240880

The Cripple Creek is and interesting oddity and yes it does have some German Locomotives as a quick peruse through the Website linked below will show.

http://cripplecreekrailroad.com/

Also worth looking at some of the early LGB USA odpfferings which consistedcin all sorts of colours and additions being applied to Stainz. This was before the start of proper US Locomotives with the introduction of the 2-6-0 Tender Locomotive of typical US Proportion.

Hi again, that's very useful info and an interesting website, thankyou. Appreciate you making a case for Stainz like locos in the States. In another post on this thread a bit of kit bashing was suggested, and these photos indicate some intriguing possibilities.

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
Lovely bit of modelling there, you can see your eye for detail coming through

And who cares about the accuracy of the trains, they all look good in your layout

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Some German locos obviously made it to the USA
German Steam Preserved in the United States

Rik
Interesting list with the great majority being 600mm Gauge though a small number being 750 and 900 as near to 3ft Gauge (901.5mm) as you can get. I strongly suspect that this may be a statistical representation on what may have happened in real life with German Locomotive Imports.

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
very nice, good start, I've converted several 2020/2010/2015 to American style engines, just need to start cutting and you will wind up with something unique to your railroad and something that you can be proud of. Keep up the good work and post lots of pictures, BillP T left side w-tender.JPGORF forney left side.JPG Rosy RS profile.JPG

Reactions: 5 users

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Wow... I like what you have done with these. Completely changes the look and feel of the loco.

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard,cracking little railroad there;);):cool:,yes a few German locos made it across the pond so a stainz is not totally out of place IMO and besides you run what you`ve got,STAINZ 011.jpg on the other hand some US locos ended up here,USA tanks for example,Bill has posted some pics of his bashes so throw mine in too,(60 quid bargain)and bashed to a US flavour,my first loco was a stainz passenger set,never to be bashed or painted/weathered and still in mint condition as are the cars and in the box under the bed as never used now as when US outline locos came into the stud it just went to the bottom of the stack.

Reactions: 3 users

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Well, its been about a month since I started this thread about my railway, and its been great to see the pics others have chipped in. Once the weather gets to cold for the garden I suspect I might retreat to my hut and have a go at some customisation. Although to be honest once I'm in the hut Scalextric generally takes over. There is always an hour of repairing Rosie the cat induced damage for a start!

I have been running trains most evenings after work, while I get on with the gardening stuff, and generally been trying to improve the usability of the track. Both locos run fine and no real problems with track contact, other than the odd stutter at very low speed over points. FWIW, and I know this is covered in depth in dedicated threads, my track maintenance is a quick fine spray of very dilute soapy water followed by a few laps of the track at a faster speed than I would normally run. I do find I need to rub the points with those Scotchbright green pads quite often, and also the sidings which have much less traffic. But for the most part certainly the main loop is trouble free even at the low speeds I almost always run at. I have added isolators to all the sidings so both my locos can be on the layout, and its now relatively easy to run one loco off and bring the other on (with a wee push at the moment as I have yet to wire in any switches). I also moved the controller to a more practical position where I can reach all the points and the controller at the same time!

I would like to add more people and scenic stuff, because to me they bring the layout to life, but that is going to be a slow process tho, nothing in this game is cheap. Meantime I used an old bird box and a metal 'thing' I dug up a few days ago to make a hut with an industrial machine of some indeterminate sort. And working on a roofed birdfeeder that had rotted at the base, which I'm sure I can turn into an American type covered bridge, or maybe an old abandoned sawmill.

Here are some photos I took yesterday. Not that much different from the original ones I posted at the beginning of the thread, but I have rearranged a few things on the track, and tried snapping some different angles.

DSCF6079ed.jpgDSCF6130.JPGDSCF6131.JPGDSCF6133.JPGDSCF6135.JPGDSCF6136.JPGDSCF6139.JPG

Reactions: 6 users

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard,cracking little railroad there;);):cool:,yes a few German locos made it across the pond so a stainz is not totally out of place IMO and besides you run what you`ve got,View attachment 242182 on the other hand some US locos ended up here,USA tanks for example,Bill has posted some pics of his bashes so throw mine in too,(60 quid bargain)and bashed to a US flavour,my first loco was a stainz passenger set,never to be bashed or painted/weathered and still in mint condition as are the cars and in the box under the bed as never used now as when US outline locos came into the stud it just went to the bottom of the stack.
Love the smoke box door and the cow catcher, very nice, Bill

simon@mgr

Aviation, model engineering & all things technical
25 Oct 2009
Gold Coast, QLD, The Land Downunder
Best answers
Country flag
What happens if the cat is rudely awaken?

It helps if I read the first paragraph.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Nice Scalextric setup. Have been helping a good friend (Jonathan Mountford) locally with his new book on Scalextric, will be a bit of an off the wall one when he gets it published soon. His final date for editing was just over a week ago and he worked to the wire to get it done. Many of the pictures have been taken on and around my Garden Railway with both Snow Pictures and in the recent Hot Weather. Quite looking forward to it being published.

Reactions: 1 user

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Love the smoke box door and the cow catcher, very nice, Bill
Bill,that smokebox door is simply washers glued together and finished off with some styrene sheet and the bolts are square styrene rod,the pilot is styrene rod, box section and a few scraps of 80thou styrene sheet,mostly all from the scrap and offcut box.

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Well, its been about a month since I started this thread about my railway, and its been great to see the pics others have chipped in. Once the weather gets to cold for the garden I suspect I might retreat to my hut and have a go at some customisation. Although to be honest once I'm in the hut Scalextric generally takes over. There is always an hour of repairing Rosie the cat induced damage for a start!

I have been running trains most evenings after work, while I get on with the gardening stuff, and generally been trying to improve the usability of the track. Both locos run fine and no real problems with track contact, other than the odd stutter at very low speed over points. FWIW, and I know this is covered in depth in dedicated threads, my track maintenance is a quick fine spray of very dilute soapy water followed by a few laps of the track at a faster speed than I would normally run. I do find I need to rub the points with those Scotchbright green pads quite often, and also the sidings which have much less traffic. But for the most part certainly the main loop is trouble free even at the low speeds I almost always run at. I have added isolators to all the sidings so both my locos can be on the layout, and its now relatively easy to run one loco off and bring the other on (with a wee push at the moment as I have yet to wire in any switches). I also moved the controller to a more practical position where I can reach all the points and the controller at the same time!

I would like to add more people and scenic stuff, because to me they bring the layout to life, but that is going to be a slow process tho, nothing in this game is cheap. Meantime I used an old bird box and a metal 'thing' I dug up a few days ago to make a hut with an industrial machine of some indeterminate sort. And working on a roofed birdfeeder that had rotted at the base, which I'm sure I can turn into an American type covered bridge, or maybe an old abandoned sawmill.

Here are some photos I took yesterday. Not that much different from the original ones I posted at the beginning of the thread, but I have rearranged a few things on the track, and tried snapping some different angles.

View attachment 242454View attachment 242455View attachment 242456View attachment 242457View attachment 242458View attachment 242459View attachment 242460
That`s coming on very well,very smart railroad,I read with interest your method of track cleaning as not heard of that before,I don`t know if soapy water would leave a film on the running surface,it`s only a thought and someone on here will know,;);),I use wet and dry covered foam blocks,so so easy to use,leaves a clean shiny rail head and can use on a wet track,the last ones were 3 for a pound at a pound shop locally and last for ages and don`t need to clean track before each running session.If I get some hesitation while running just a quick rub over the affected area soon sorts it out;);););)

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Bill,that smokebox door is simply washers glued together and finished off with some styrene sheet and the bolts are square styrene rod,the pilot is styrene rod, box section and a few scraps of 80thou styrene sheet,mostly all from the scrap and offcut box.
Think I used hole plugs and bird shot on one of mine, yep don't throw anything away, LOL

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
That`s coming on very well,very smart railroad,I read with interest your method of track cleaning as not heard of that before,I don`t know if soapy water would leave a film on the running surface,it`s only a thought and someone on here will know,;);),I use wet and dry covered foam blocks,so so easy to use,leaves a clean shiny rail head and can use on a wet track,the last ones were 3 for a pound at a pound shop locally and last for ages and don`t need to clean track before each running session.If I get some hesitation while running just a quick rub over the affected area soon sorts it out;);););)

It was a guy I spoke to at Gaugemaster who suggested I try that before getting involved in more complicated cleaning schedules. It seems to work for me, but yes, there are times I need to give sections a wee rub also.

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Nice Scalextric setup. Have been helping a good friend (Jonathan Mountford) locally with his new book on Scalextric, will be a bit of an off the wall one when he gets it published soon. His final date for editing was just over a week ago and he worked to the wire to get it done. Many of the pictures have been taken on and around my Garden Railway with both Snow Pictures and in the recent Hot Weather. Quite looking forward to it being published.

I'd be interested in getting hold of that when it comes out. Always room for another one!

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Enlargement of the original layout begins!

DSCF6197.JPGDSCF6198.JPGDSCF6200.JPGDSCF6202.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
And heres a few more pix of the layout, with the track extension complete. For the time being I'm just planting a few slow growing conifers in the open space. May or may not do something more adventurous (I'd like a water feature) later.DSCF6204.JPGDSCF6208.JPGDSCF6217.JPGDSCF6211s.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Looks great