Weathered Tank Car

supagav

USA standard gauge in the late 1960's, in 1:29th.
30 Oct 2009
Oban, Scotland
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Hi,

I`ve been busy trying to get some more projects finished before our up coming open day at the end of June. I decided to do a little more weathering and detailing to finish off some new pieces of rolling stock so that we can get them out on the line. I also needed a wee break from the GP18 project I`m currently working, so this always provides a welcome distraction!

As far as the prototype for this car goes, I believe branded tank cars were becoming less frequent around our modelling period so I wanted to make this car look like it was still servicable, yet pretty well worn.

I`m trying to keep these quite simple as I have a few of them to do. Firstly just a couple of black washes over the whole car to start, then some weathering chalks to pick up the dirt along the bottom frame and trucks, with some finer light brown acrylic to pick out some of the rust detail:

IMG_1788 (Copy).jpg

IMG_1790 (Copy).jpg

IMG_1792 (Copy).jpg

IMG_1794 (Copy).jpg

IMG_1798 (Copy).jpg

IMG_1800 (Copy).jpg

IMG_1802 (Copy).jpg

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
That looks very convincing. I find tank cars particularly tricky to weather in a realistic way but this one looks just right.

KandNWLR

Live steam on the indoor K&NWLR
18 Dec 2011
Alsace
www.youtube.com
Best answers
Couldn´t agree more :D

supagav

30 Oct 2009
Oban, Scotland
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Thanks folks!

I agree Philip, I must admit that I find it tricky to get a realistic finish with tank cars. I started with an old Aristo tank a few years ago but sadly just went in too heavy handed and it never looked right. To be honest it still doesn't and I will eventually re-do it when I have time!

With this one though I really wanted to do less to it overall, as the pictures I studied for this particular car appeared to be not that dirty, but instead featured a lot of other details such as rust spots etc.

supagav

30 Oct 2009
Oban, Scotland
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Hi,

With another tank car finished up today, I`m slowly getting through all those projects which I set aside for a rainy day! Here they are side by side, just need a quick spray with Dullcote and they`ll be ready for service!

DSCN2015 (Copy).JPG

DSCN2018 (Copy).JPG

DSCN2019 (Copy).JPG

DSCN2021 (Copy).JPG

DSCN2022 (Copy).JPG

DSCN2025 (Copy).JPG

DSCN2026 (Copy).JPG