Weather proof out door signage

Shunter46

Registered
3 Apr 2019
West Midlands United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Can anyone Tell me of a reliable supplier of railway related G gauge out door signage to finish detailing a station building I am scratch building.?Thanks

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Trenerron Models, and Modeltown spring to mind, but they're 16mm (1:19) so may be a bit big

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Can anyone Tell me of a reliable supplier of railway related G gauge out door signage to finish detailing a station building I am scratch building.?Thanks
What exactly are you after Don?
Station nameboards, advertising, station building signage?
You say weatherproof, but how exposed to the elements will it be?
Are we talking, brass, plastic, vinyl?
What era and more importantly what location countrywise?
I've used a variety of methods and haven't actually bought much ready made so might be able to give you some pointers or even provide some of what you need from my stock of leftovers. You can post here or message me if you prefer.
Mike.

Shunter46

Registered
3 Apr 2019
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Mike
Good of you to reply. I run mostly American engines plus two European so you can tell I am not to fussy about time and place. I just like to see locos running.
The scratch built station ( Rhubarb Junction) will have full exposure to the elements. It will hopefully be a waterproof box to protect the switches for my isolation sections. My current switches despite rubber covers have started rusting after only six months. I am rendering onto the front of the box a station facade and need all the usual station signage and detailing, I have a laminator and was going to try printing off some signs from the internet and laminating them. However I am not to sure how long they will last in the garden. Me being a relatively new convert to G gauge I posted the question just to see what other people used by way of outdoor signs?

Last edited:

Shunter46

Registered
3 Apr 2019
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Mike
Good of you to reply. I run mostly American engines plus two European so you can tell I am not to fussy about time and place. I just like to see locos running.
The scratch built station ( Rhubarb Junction) will have full exposure to the elements. It will hopefully be a waterproof box to protect the switches for my isolation sections. My current switches despite rubber covers have started rusting after only six months. I am rendering onto the front of the box a station facade and need all the usual station signage and detailing, I have a laminator and was going to try printing off some signs from the internet and laminating them. However I am not to sure how long they will last in the garden. Me being a relatively new convert to G gauge I posted the question just to see what other people used by way of outdoor signs?

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Mike
Several forumites have laminated printed paper - dunnyrail is one who springs to mind. I think he did all his station names in that manner. I printed some vinyl 'weatherproof' station nameboards for Anglian not so long ago. I think they are surviving reasonably well. I've used the latter process to make coach and wagon logos and the livery for my Orient Express Taurus loco. Have a quick look at Orient Express Rolling Stock - G Scale Central

My station nameboards are plastic letters glued to a plasticard backing and I've made a few nameplates using Slater's letters. Over the years I've amassed loads of photos of signs and posters which I can easily print out on self adhesive for you to try. From memory I did have some small painted brass signs somewhere, but might take a while to locate.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I have a laminator and was going to try printing off some signs from the internet and laminating them. However I am not to sure how long they will last in the garden. Me being a relatively new convert to G gauge I posted the question just to see what other people used by way of outdoor signs?
I tried the Laminator idea myself, but the seal is not weatherproof and your signs will deteriorate over time.

Printing onto vinyl works but you ink must be waterproof. I used a label maker we have at work for rail-side signs (with Junction names and the like) which worked well and lasted for a long time on my previous layout.

I will use this method again for my current layout....

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
This is what I made my platform nameboards from. They are the sort of thing restaurant menu boards use. Letters are about 18mm tall. I offered these after I had finished mine, but there were no takers. Would they be too big for your purposes?
IMG_20201114_170020.jpg

Shunter46

Registered
3 Apr 2019
Best answers
Country flag
This is what I made my platform nameboards from. They are the sort of thing restaurant menu boards use. Letters are about 18mm tall. I offered these after I had finished mine, but there were no takers. Would they be too big for your purposes?
View attachment 276188
Thanks Mike I will check out the dimensions and get back to you.ASAP

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
These are a little shorter than your chosen name but give you an idea of how they look.
294280_IMG_20200925_130046.jpg

Shunter46

Registered
3 Apr 2019
Best answers
Country flag
These are a little shorter than your chosen name but give you an idea of how they look.
View attachment 276194
Hello Mike
Your small raised signs look very good. Nice work. However I am not to sure this is what I need. I am looking for the small detailing signage that you get on all stations.ie :- Station Master.. Ladies waiting room.. left luggage..toilets Ladies Gentleman . . Ticket office ..Etc Etc .

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Mike
Your small raised signs look very good. Nice work. However I am not to sure this is what I need. I am looking for the small detailing signage that you get on all stations.ie :- Station Master.. Ladies waiting room.. left luggage..toilets Ladies Gentleman . . Ticket office ..Etc Etc .
I can soon run a sheet of those sort of things off on vinyl Don. I know I have a few painted brass signs somewhere but can't remember what they say. I'll get back to you shortly.