Vehicle Design Competition Entries

g-bits

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Best answers
Having decided my Line is not really narrow gauge looking and having made new wagons with mainline double buffers, then i now needs a Loco to suit, so mine will be a GWR 13** Class, first image below shows a Piko block overlaid on a overall side view to get an idea on how well it would fit. At the moment its based on the Piko block as it is a 0-6-0- Loco

View attachment 265310

next image shows a very basic model of it, still a lot of work to do on it yet. It will be as much as possible 3D printed

View attachment 265311

Nice - though you should probably do a 1366 too, just to keep the 1361 company...

Most of the loco is the same, just need to model the pannier tanks.

Thanks for your thoughts on the 2093 model Jonathan! Sounds like you would like to build one.

I had a passing interest a while back, but it's not really 'mainline' enough for my tastes. Plus I have a build list a mile long.

In these days of cheap home CNC and 3d printing, I suspect a kit will eventually appear from somewhere, thought 2'6"/750mm/760mm gauges are always a bit of an unhappy compromise on 45mm track.

Thanks for your thoughts on the 2093 model Jonathan! Sounds like you would like to build one.

In a similar vein (another box on wheels) I also considered the Bo-Bo diesels on the Zillertalbahn, D13 and D14.
Not whizzy-cranks, these are fairly modern locos from Gemeinder. They were used for freight when Zillertalbahn still had freight traffic (mostly timber), but nowadays are used as the power for push-pull passenger services.

Zillertalbahn_D13_Jenbach_2010.jpg

I was pulled by this one on my trip to the Zillertalbahn a few years back.

Lilliput do an HOe model.

I found a scale drawing on the Internet:

View attachment 265314

It was going to be too long for my R1 radius layout, about the same size as an LGB RhB Ge 4/4, so I tried to squeeze it down to about 450mm long with almost comical effects as shown in my attempt at a 1:22.5 scale drawing:

View attachment 265315

Needless to say it never got built and probably never will. But it might inspire another Austrian NG fan.

Remember them from when they came out, I think Continental Modeller may have published a Gemeinder factory drawing? In about HOe? I did wonder about them too, but as you say, they're huge beasts on 760mm, particularly with the standard gauge buffing gear. And if you want to scale them back disproportionately and use the LGB rubber-ruler scheme (ie width loses a bit, height about 10% maybe and chop a great chunk out of the middle for length), it can be really hard to capture the spirit of something. it usually winds up being all about subtle angles and proportions that aren't apparent when you look at the (true) scale drawing. And there's never a mech the right size either. Guess how I know all this?...

Always liked the OBB 4090 emu too, but making that would be an exercise in pure frustration. Plus I've got a feeling there was a three car and a four car variant, but just one of each - DM-T-DT and DM-T-T-DM repectively I think.

Stop press, looks like someone has built a g-scale model.
And a 1099 to go with it - I think I detect LGB Krokodil DNA in the 1099's running gear..

Always did like the 1099, sort of wizzy-cranks-plus.

Jonathan
g-bits.co.uk

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
That's a very nice garden railway and some interesting models, good find Jonathan. Ref the 1099 I remember grootspoor once had a 2nd hand whizzy cranks for sale which had a pantograph fitted. At the time I couldn't figure out what must have been going through the head of the previous owner, now it kind of makes sense.

g-bits

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Best answers
ADMIN : There are currently two days left until the competition closing date at the end of the month - I'm still open to the idea of extending if it anybody wants extra time, but nobody's said anything, so at the moment it's still the 30th. Speak now, or forever hold your peace.

THREAD DRIFT : If you want to build your own 4090, I found you some plans...
(source : Mod Request Öbb 4090 Schmalspur Triebwagen - Transport Fever Community )

A couple of minutes extra googling also turned up the fact that, not only are these things currently on the Zillertalbahn, where the driving cars are dumped and the intermediates used as ordinary coaches, but plans were afoot to convert them into hydrogen-electrics.
https://www.zillertalbahn.at/data.c...uelle-etr-juni-2018-nr-6-wwweureilpressde-etr (technical, but also in German)

Whether this is actually happening or not I don't know, since the alleged budget for it is a scarcely credible 80-85 million euros. You could replace the whole 32km railway with electrified standard gauge plus brand new bi-mode hydrogen/ac stock for that and still have change for a round of beer and schnitzel. Other sources suggest the money is for 5x new four car trains from Stadler, fixed plant and improvement to the line that will cut travel time from 55 to 45minutes, so I don't know. Maybe the 4090's were only in the first draft.

Going back to models, your drawing made me have another look at the Gemeinder diesels, and an hour or so's scribbling (or non-productive CAD time as it's also known to the HR department) produced the sketch below. Also reminded me that one of the issues when I last looked at them was that the published drawings appeared to be pre-construction, and the locos differed significantly in detail. Maybe an artist's impression is the way to go. Still doesn't capture the whole thing, they're huge locos on 760mm (as are the 4090's), and tower over the 'classic' ZTB coaches ( ). If you try and capture the height, the end view is OK, but then the side doesn't work - it's obviously compressed. Anyway, here's mine - 84mm USAt trucks, 500mm over the body, 560mm including verandas, 108mm wide (a touch wider than the no-scale LGB version of the coach, and with the pitch of the roof curve at 152mm, same as a wizzy-cranks/2095, with 'clutter'/boxes above that. Length is midway between the LGB 'OBB' type coach and their longer (but still short) RhB vehicles at 660mm. Should be fine on R1, except for looking daft, and maybe needing a coupler cutout.

ZillertalbahnDiesel.jpg

Jonathan
g-bits.co.uk

g-bits

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Best answers
Thread Drift 2

Those Gemeinder diesels are bugging me now - they ought to be noticeably taller than the existing stock. Raised the main roof quarter inch, beefed up up the gubbins on top and adjusted the beltline and windows to suit. Think I sort-of got away with it, but there probably isn't a single dimension on the thing that's actually right...

ZillertalbahnDiesel2.jpg

'Nuff sed,

Jonathan
g-bits.co.uk

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I'm quite happy to join in but I may be a bit late! I would really like to build a TGR X class, it was THE first mainline diesel in Australia in 1950 and had extremely long and successful service lives. They were built by English Electric one was even featured at the festival of Britain (X16). Five are preserved in Tasmania where they came from and two over here in Victoria at a heritage railway that I volunteer at (I've spent quite a few hours in the cab of these locos and completely understand why they were so successful!) . Its interesting to note that compared to the Queensland railways 1600 class that we also have (same manufacturer and similar design but built 10 years later) that these locos were quite technologically advanced featuring some safety features the later locos dont.
Sorry to argue with Jake but the TGR X class was not the first mainline diesel in Australia. The South Australian 350 class entered service on 7/6/1949 and two were built in Adelaide using English Electric engines, electrics and controls. Number 350 is still running at Mt. Barker and 351 is a static exhibit at the Milang Railway Museum where visitors can "drive" it using a simulator. Alan Beaumont in Milang has 3D printed a 1:32 model of 351. I have built a G scale model of the later class 500 as attached.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound
Class 500.JPG

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
As I built this some 12 years ago I'm not sure it is a valid entry but it might by of interest to readers.

I've always thought the PPM 50 would be an excellent choice for a manufacturer. Its cute, still in use (in PPM 60 form), British and small. It can be used where there are British height platforms or low platforms. As many here will know I built mine many years ago. It started life with a USAT GP38 power truck but I needed that for a failed Aristo loco so I changed it for a spare S4 power truck. There is plenty of room under the skirts to fit battery radio control as I have done. The low skirt means it clears leaves and twigs out of the way. I find it ideal for the garden railway in every way. I'm sure it would be quite easy for a manufacturer to make a one piece moulding for this vehicle that just clipped onto a GP power truck. The PPM 60 would not be so good because the wheelbase of the powertruck would be too short. It is too short for the PPM 50 when compared to a scale drawing but I think it looks OK.

Mine is 12 years old now and has had a hard life so she is a bit tatty in places. She remains my only attempt a scratchbuilding a loco. I like that she is unique but I do feel this would be a really useful model for many garden railways.

My PPM 50 in the snow

The real PPM 50 at Bridgnorth just before lockdown. She was being tested after being fitted with a diesel power unit. She originally had an LPG powered Ford 2.0 litre power unit. There aren't many standard gauge items that look small compared to a 14xx.

IMG_20200226_122311.jpg

Mine started life in plain green but then got London Midland livery as per the PPM 60s used at Stourbridge.

011ed2d2b1ed6f0bee65c8b1f67b84bf4253de1abf.jpg

When the franchise changed to West Midlands Trains she got a repaint. This is incorrect as the doors should be purple on this side, they are orange on the other side. I'm not sure this livery works so well because it is lopsided but it is bright and cheerful! She has had quite a few crashes and quite a bit of patching up over the years and is looking rather tatty. I keep thinking about building a new, tidier and better body but there is always something else to do.....

IMG_20200128_092635.jpg

Last edited:

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
A century ago, most coastal towns in Australia were supplied by sea and therefore had a jetty. Horse tramways were used to move incoming goods and outgoing exports. The first photo shows the tramway at Milang, South Australia where the horse, Nuggett, was driven by Reuben Coppins. That's what I want to make in G scale...the horse, the wagon and (to give me room for batteries, etc) a bulky load of wool bales.

I would start with a Piko BR94 motor block because it has spoked wheels. The wagon tray will be fabricated in styrene and batteries placed on it. The horse will be 3D printed with moving legs, each driven by a micro servo. After a careful study of how horses legs move, an Arduino card will be programmed to provide variable speed control of the legs via the microservos. I will do a custom MyLocoSound soundcard to provide speed sensitive "clip - clop" plus random "Gee-ups", neighs, whinnies and farts. A rotary switch on top, disguised as a parcel, will provide on/off and speed control. Finally, the electronics will be covered by a 3D printed wool bale load.

Technically challenging but should be fun.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound
B-21510 Reduced.jpgNuggett _ Wagon Model.png

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I'd like to do a 'Salty' to go with Bachmann Thomas G scale range which are approximately 1:22 scale although standard gauge on 45mm gauge track.
I have been working on a plan which I intended to post here too but still not finished making this submission a few minutes late. I may have missed the train.
I always felt that Salty would be a good option for the Bachmann Thomas range as they don't have a diesel but that day may never come now considering that Bachmann seem to no longer be making any new G scale items at present.
The Piko Mogul Block is close except the drivers are not spaced evenly and wheels a tad smaller. The spoke count is close too although the counterweights could possibly do with a reshape with a file.
The brakes between the 2 closest drivers will be a squeeze but I should be able to come up with something good enough for the Island of Sodor.
As for proportions, I think I will just keep the same as the prototype.
Old Salty's eyes could be animated via a separate motor which may give better opportunity to make them behave independently to the driving motion.

Prototype British Rail Class 07
Wheelbase: 8 ft 7 1⁄2 in (2.629 m)
Wheel Diameter: 3 ft 6 in (1.067 m)
Length: 26 ft 9 1⁄2 in (8.17 m)
Width: 8 ft 6 in (2.591 m)
Height: 12 ft 10 in (3.912 m)

Scaled to 22.5 (Approximately the same as Bachmann Thomas G Scale)
Wheelbase: 116.8 mm
Wheel Diameter: 47.4 mm
Length: 363 mm
Width: 115 mm
Height: 174 mm

Piko Mogul motor block
Wheelbase: 119.5 mm
Wheel Diameter: 44.6 mm

1280px-Hugh_llewelyn_D2944__5573361111_.jpg

OldSalty03.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

g-bits

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Best answers
I'm fine with five past midnight. I'd much rather stretch the deadline a little to make sure everyone can enter than have anyone miss out. So if anyone else is in the same position, please shout out - shove in a placeholder post with a couple of sentences about what you're intending, and we can fill in the details.

(As an aside, obviously Paradise is going to need drawings etc to actually build a loco, but for the purposes of entering the competition, the post above is plenty - Picture/type of the prototype and enough explanation to understand what mech would power it and how that's plenty plausible for the application.)

A bit of admin, making sure I have every entry so far. If you think you've entered, and you don't see yours below, please PM me or post to this thread urgently.

Entries listed by username, in the order they appeared in this thread.

a98087 - kitbashed rod drive 0-6-0 based on USAtrains Mighty Moe.
Henri - rebuilding a Billard railcar kit to better match an RTM prototype.
musket the dog - freelance, tender powered Padarn Rly 'Fire Queen'.
NDC - 10mm/ft LMS Ivatt 2MT.
Tropic Blunder 1 = TGR X Class Bo-Bo.
scheinenkonig - rebuilding an LGB steeplecab to match a local prototype.
idlemarvel - OBB 762mm gauge diesel 2093-01
LGB-Sid - GWR 1361 class (10mm/ft?)
chris m01 - refurbishing scratchbuilt Parry people Mover
Moonraker - South Australian Horse Tram
Paradise - BR 07/'Salty' diesel in approx 1/22.5*

* Happy to include the mogul block, but as I said in the rules post, I've haven't actually got any at the moment, so any prize giving would have to wait until the world has settled down a little and normal supplies are resumed.

I'll hold fire a little longer just to see if anyone else adds to the thread. Same applies to anyone who wants to update or change their entry.

Jonathan
g-bits.co.uk

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for letting me slip in the last minute g-bits Jonathan. :)
I think I'm actually in at 55 minutes prior to midnight going by the forum time. The server time must be different to your location as it is mine.
It's more about the journey not so much the destination. This has been a project in the back of my mind for some time now. Good to see everyone's ideas and details.

g-bits

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Best answers
I suspect the server is on GMT, and the mere humans are celebrating summer time. Indoors, of course.

Anyway, the more the merrier, and I'm not going to quibble over the details.

Jonathan
g-bits.co.uk

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
chris m01 - refurbishing scratchbuilt Parry people Move
Jonathan
g-bits.co.uk

I wouldn't refurbish it, I would build a completely new one.
In all honesty I won't have the time in the next year/ 18 months to start such a project as I have my hands full building IMG_20200430_154930.jpgan N gauge layout.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I missed-out having yesterday to post.. - I have got to the sad and sorry pile of bits. :rolleyes:

If I have not posted by 6pm. today, then throw me out!

GP38-2 A and B units to be out-shopped in BN colors..

PhilP.

g-bits

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Best answers
Updated list, same order as previously.

a98087 - kitbashed rod drive 0-6-0 based on USAtrains Mighty Moe.
Henri - rebuilding a Billard railcar kit to better match an RTM prototype.
musket the dog - freelance, tender powered Padarn Rly 'Fire Queen'.
NDC - 10mm/ft LMS Ivatt 2MT.
Tropic Blunder 1 = TGR X Class Bo-Bo.
scheinenkonig - rebuilding an LGB steeplecab to match a local prototype.
idlemarvel - OBB 762mm gauge diesel 2093-01
LGB-Sid - GWR 1361 class (10mm/ft?)
chris m01 - scratchbuilt Parry people Mover
Moonraker - South Australian Horse Tram
Paradise - BR 07/'Salty' diesel in approx 1/22.5
PhilP - BN GP38-2 AB set (i left it in because I know what a BN GP38-2B looks like anyway, so the original posting is plenty. I'm assuming USAt bits.)

Any more for any more?

Jonathan
g-bits.co.uk

PS : I've worked out the clock thing - at least for me - the mobile (also tablet) site shows summer (posting) time, and the desktop shows GMT (ie one hour before, which can be the previous day if you're doing it at the witching hour). I imagine this might have at least as much to do with phone/tablet settings as it does the server. But I'm look at the same page on both right now, and the two screens differ by an hour for each time given. Now if you'll all just synchronise you watches...

Last edited:

g-bits

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Best answers

I'm sorry, I'm afraid you are - the winner was picked earlier this week and an announcement was just waiting on working out exactly what bits most suited their project. Which is now basically done.

Nice project though - I did wonder about commercially producing a 10mm/ft or 10.5mm/ft (1:29 to match the Aristo 66) kit about a decade ago. In the end I decided not to, partly because of the tooling cost and partly because some of the contemporary liberties were truly fearsome.

Jonathan
g-bits.co.uk

alasdair555

Registered
7 May 2020
UK
Best answers
I'm sorry, I'm afraid you are - the winner was picked earlier this week and an announcement was just waiting on working out exactly what bits most suited their project. Which is now basically done.

Nice project though - I did wonder about commercially producing a 10mm/ft or 10.5mm/ft (1:29 to match the Aristo 66) kit about a decade ago. In the end I decided not to, partly because of the tooling cost and partly because some of the contemporary liberties were truly fearsome.

Jonathan
g-bits.co.uk

Thanks for the reply, the class 66 is on my wishlist! Contemporary liberties?

g-bits

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Best answers
Autocorrect... for 'liberties' read 'liveries' throughout. The then operators had quite a line in complex vinyls of local attractions etc.

Jonathan
g-bits.co.uk

alasdair555

Registered
7 May 2020
UK
Best answers
Autocorrect... for 'liberties' read 'liveries' throughout. The then operators had quite a line in complex vinyls of local attractions etc.

Jonathan
g-bits.co.uk

Didn't they indeed! :) Ahh well let's see how far I get.

Do you have any recommendations for getting bogies and or bogie sides which would look prototypical, so far mark 1 and the like aren't ideal.

g-bits

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Best answers
Annnd the winner is . . .

Musket the Dog, a.k.a. Ricky with the locomotive Fire Queen. An HLW block and some useful-looking wheels will be wending their way to him post bank holiday.

At a late stage I did seek assistance in judging from a number of small children of my acquaintance (though I still retained the casting vote). As a result of their determinations, OBB 2093.01 (proposed by idlemarvel) was selected for special commendation. More interested in modelling pre-war diesel electrics than you might think, these five year olds.

I won't post a photo of the prize - it'll be more interesting to look at once it's arrived with Ricky started to sprout a boiler and other appurtenances.

Jonathan
g-bits.co.uk