Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Best answers

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
Here’s my proposal, after a look in my spares box, and considering the many ideas I have for builds I’ve decided to enter this one.

it’s the bodywork of some USA trains mighty moe locos, that would then be fitted to one of the c16 style blocksto give a small but mighty diesel shunter, similar to the lgb loco pictured as a size comparison

80073122-0AB5-403D-BA24-759A7BF73E0F.jpeg
Dan

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
On my 'to do' list, and in preparation for almost over a year now, is a model of a Billard A80D4, a one off example which was used in the Netherlands by the RTM starting in 1953, after an almost one year rebuild. The A80D4 is unique because it is more narrow that its siblings and a tad longer, to compensate for the loss in width. I don't know what seating options were originally installed, but the RTM choose for a row of two seat benches and a row of single seats.

I got a kit for the body and the main parts, like boogie sidings. The kit is of French origin and of course is based upon the A80D4 as it rode in France. The rebuild by the RTM is something I have to do myself and to which I am really looking forward. For example, the radiator is quite different and so are the front and rear windows. And the kit has only two seat benches. And is missing A LOT of detail parts.

Anyway, to power this railbus a boogie with a wheelbase of 2.040 mm is required, in 1/22,5 this is 90,7 mm. Unfortunately there is no exact match, but the USA Trains 94,5 mm wold do the job! As a matter of fact, I had your website link saved for reference!

8D5983B4-6D4F-494C-87DF-77B79DA2AEB7_1_105_c.jpeg

3C899C75-E7B3-4843-AE53-242092851C7D_1_105_c.jpeg
Prototype RTM, 'De Stern' 2020, front view

4C6BB7DB-590C-4EFF-92C6-330547A54ADB_1_105_c.jpeg
Prototype RTM, 'De Stern' 2020, rear view, fresh out of the workshop

F3D44BCF-B558-4D8F-A662-44182F6A9E2A.jpeg
Prototype RTM, 'De Stern' 2020, rear view, at the endpoint of the line Rotterdam - Strijen Steenplaats. The village Strijen is only 10 km away from my hometown, hence the love for the RTM AND this Billard! Unfortunately there is NO trace of the RTM anywhere left...

stern.jpg
Copy of the original drawings where all the RTM alterations are visible. Image thanks to Eric van der Reiden of the RTM Museum in Ouddorp.

Screenshot 2020-04-06 at 15.02.32.png

The contents of the kit...

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
On my 'to do' list, and in preparation for almost over a year now, is a model of a Billard A80D4, a one off example which was used in the Netherlands by the RTM starting in 1953, after an almost one year rebuild. The A80D4 is unique because it is more narrow that its siblings and a tad longer, to compensate for the loss in width. I don't know what seating options were originally installed, but the RTM choose for a row of two seat benches and a row of single seats.

I got a kit for the body and the main parts, like boogie sidings. The kit is of French origin and of course is based upon the A80D4 as it rode in France. The rebuild by the RTM is something I have to do myself and to which I am really looking forward. For example, the radiator is quite different and so are the front and rear windows. And the kit has only two seat benches. And is missing A LOT of detail parts.

Anyway, to power this railbus a boogie with a wheelbase of 2.040 mm is required, in 1/22,5 this is 90,7 mm. Unfortunately there is no exact match, but the USA Trains 94,5 mm wold do the job! As a matter of fact, I had your website link saved for reference!

View attachment 263774

View attachment 263773
Prototype RTM, 'De Stern' 2020, front view

View attachment 263775
Prototype RTM, 'De Stern' 2020, rear view, fresh out of the workshop

View attachment 263776
Prototype RTM, 'De Stern' 2020, rear view, at the endpoint of the line Rotterdam - Strijen Steenplaats. The village Strijen is only 10 km away from my hometown, hence the love for the RTM AND this Billard! Unfortunately there is NO trace of the RTM anywhere left...

View attachment 263778
Copy of the original drawings where all the RTM alterations are visible. Image thanks to Eric van der Reiden of the RTM Museum in Ouddorp.

View attachment 263777

The contents of the kit...
Henri, look at the Swift 16 adjustable chassis that can be made up from 35-95 wheel centres. I have used a couple and they are pretty well made with good solid motor. £80 uk plus post of course.

build instructions:-

g-bits

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Best answers
Two weeks until the 30th, Ladies and Gentlemen, just two scant weeks...

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Henri, look at the Swift 16 adjustable chassis that can be made up from 35-95 wheel centres. I have used a couple and they are pretty well made with good solid motor. £80 uk plus post of course.
build instructions:-

But, but, but it is not within the competition rules to use other motor blocks. :nerd:

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
Hi all,

What a great competition, very generous and exactly the sort of thing to keep us busy and engaged over these few weeks.

My plan for the entry would use a Hartland Interurban motor block. The grand plan has been nestled away for a couple of years but I would like to create something along the lines of the Padarn Railway's 'Fire Queen', now preserved at Penrhyn Castle. My plan uses the motor block hidden in the tender, whilst the locomotive would be freewheeling. I've attached some images of my CAD progress so far. I had mainly been using these to arrange the virtually test all the inside/outside valve gear.

The loco in a later guise with a cab fitted:
Fire Queen.gif

An excellent thread with some close up shots of the loco, despite Photobucket's best efforts: Practical Machinist

Construction would be of my usual methods. A plumbing pipe boiler with bodywork from plasticard. Details and the motion would be a mixture of castings and printed parts. I think the loco wheels would likely come from an LGB 0-4-0 diesel, or possibly Piko.

Horlock 1.JPG

Horlock 2.JPG

Horlock 3.JPG

Spoked wheels from this type of diesel:
170511 _4_.jpg

The tender looks to be a fairly basic construction. I would try and enhance the wheels on the Hartland block using some form of insert to add relief to them. Some sort of ornate spoke pattern. I've used this method before to attach outside cranks to a Mack motor block. I don't have anything in CAD for this yet, but I will grab the dimensions of the block and see what I can create before the deadline.

Fire Queen Tender.jpg

Mack wheels with inserts:
160304 _8_.jpg

Thanks for looking over my entry, good luck to all involved. I can't wait to see what ends up being built :)

Many thanks,
Ricky

g-bits

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Best answers
But, but, but it is not within the competition rules to use other motor blocks. :nerd:

The way I'd read this is that Henri's entry is for a railcar using the USAtrains block he specified. If he wins, he gets that block, or perhaps the 84mm one if that seems like a better compromise. Once the block arrives, if Henri decides to build the railcar up with an alternative power unit and uses the USAtrains block to power a different loco, I'm fine with that. But I shall expect two build threads, one for each loco.

Musket/Ricky's entry reminds me that I have an 0-4-4WT tucked away half-built in a box - like his it has an HLW interurban truck as the 'trailing' bogie and free wheeling 'drivers'. All this shenanighans being to get fresh air under the boiler and go round R1 curves.. I painted the wheels red, but on refelction, I should have gone with flat black and put red-painted spoked inserts in the way Ricky suggests. Another thing to modify when I get it out of storage...

I can't remember the number , but there's a yellow Harz diesel that looks vaguely like Dan's scheme, though being meter gauge, you'd need to at least nick the LGB cab.

Jonathan

g-bits.co.uk

NDC

Registered
27 Nov 2012
Best answers
Country flag
Hello,

Here's my idea, which I've been pondering for a little while already. One of the many things about garden railways I love is the ability to run trains of different scales. I have been assembling trains in 1:20 (White Pass), 1:24 (White Pass again), 1:29 US mainline and also UK in 10mm to the foot. The latter are expensive; I only have a couple of BR Mark 1 carriages and a Stanier coach kit, now needing a suitable locomotive. So my plan is to make (as I can't buy one) an Ivatt, or the later Riddles, 2MT 2-6-0. This is a cute little engine (I have a Minitrix one somewhere), comes in a choice of three colours and would look great in front of a short train.

Looking at the latest Bachmann 4-6-0 chassis (reliable, looks good and affordable), the drivers are 50mm with 66mm + 66mm separation. At 10mm scale this is 5'0 and 6'6", close enough for me. Also the chassis has that lovely Walschaerts valve gear , with some Anglicisation will work.
Pony truck wheels are 3'0"; I have some 28mm wheels of unknown origin, so that's the chassis sorted. All that leaves is to sort out the body and stylish tender

I own up first, I do have a chassis already, so I'm probably not the best candidate to win. However there is the very similar 2MT 2-6-2t, to accompany the 2-6-0.......
Offical-Works-Photo-of-6400-Credit-Unknown-e1568369573170.jpg2MT modified.jpgOffical-Works-Photo-of-1200-Credit-Unknown-300x140.jpg

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
Hello,

Here's my idea, which I've been pondering for a little while already. One of the many things about garden railways I love is the ability to run trains of different scales. I have been assembling trains in 1:20 (White Pass), 1:24 (White Pass again), 1:29 US mainline and also UK in 10mm to the foot. The latter are expensive; I only have a couple of BR Mark 1 carriages and a Stanier coach kit, now needing a suitable locomotive. So my plan is to make (as I can't buy one) an Ivatt, or the later Riddles, 2MT 2-6-0. This is a cute little engine (I have a Minitrix one somewhere), comes in a choice of three colours and would look great in front of a short train.

Looking at the latest Bachmann 4-6-0 chassis (reliable, looks good and affordable), the drivers are 50mm with 66mm + 66mm separation. At 10mm scale this is 5'0 and 6'6", close enough for me. Also the chassis has that lovely Walschaerts valve gear , with some Anglicisation will work.
Pony truck wheels are 3'0"; I have some 28mm wheels of unknown origin, so that's the chassis sorted. All that leaves is to sort out the body and stylish tender

I own up first, I do have a chassis already, so I'm probably not the best candidate to win. However there is the very similar 2MT 2-6-2t, to accompany the 2-6-0.......
View attachment 264822View attachment 264823View attachment 264824

are you proposing something sort of lokelike this?
Saw This picture on the net and saved it for a future project one day

40FA455A-5DFD-411B-A87C-351AF0D0E161.png

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
are you proposing something sort of lokelike this?
Saw This picture on the net and saved it for a future project one day

19CD54E8-D0B3-4CF6-B729-DF3DFDFB5130.jpeg
View attachment 264825
Has similarity to the Palestine Railways 4-6-2 tanks that Armstrong Whitworth rebuilt from Baldwin 4-6-0s84966124-1314-4149-B8DB-7D314D845A70.jpeg

g-bits

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Best answers
Good Afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen,

This is another 'deadline' post - just one week to go until the closing date at the end of the month.

That said, would anyone out there like more time? I've checked with the existing entrants, and they've ALL said they're happy for the closing date to be moved out IF that means more people get to join in. So I can do that if folks want/need an extension.

Jonathan
g-bits.co.uk

I'm quite happy to join in but I may be a bit late! I would really like to build a TGR X class, it was THE first mainline diesel in Australia in 1950 and had extremely long and successful service lives. They were built by English Electric one was even featured at the festival of Britain (X16). Five are preserved in Tasmania where they came from and two over here in Victoria at a heritage railway that I volunteer at (I've spent quite a few hours in the cab of these locos and completely understand why they were so successful!) . Its interesting to note that compared to the Queensland railways 1600 class that we also have (same manufacturer and similar design but built 10 years later) that these locos were quite technologically advanced featuring some safety features the later locos dont.
TGR_X16_Festival_of_Britain.jpg
(Photo from Wikipedia of X16 being trucked to the Festival)

Video of starting X20

20200111_161347.jpg20191221_124439.jpg

Construction would be similar to my other loco builds. Design the logo as much as possible in Inventor using works drawings (and in this instance probably some real world measurements where needed) and then print on a Cocoon Create in sections. This method gives you most of the barebones fairly quickly once you put 20 hours of drafting into it! A scratch built underframe using a Piko motor block and deltang RC Will sort out the Running gear. The pictures below are of my current project a Victorian Railways T class using the same techniques and i think the results are pretty good!

93576732_520144678663950_7388135693844742144_n.png94615596_156969719090027_2134411494127828992_n.jpg

Thanks for this great initiative Jonathon its a shame more people havent entered i think.

Regards
Jake

g-bits

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Best answers
I first saw Jake's entry on mobile email, with no pictures thanks to security/bandwidth features, and I thunked to myself "Ooh, cunning, I hadn't even thought of that."

Then I logged in and found that I'd been thinking of the wrong 3'6" gauge English-built Australian X-class diesel...

Because of course I had.

(These ones : WAGR X class - Wikipedia )

Jake was clearly even more cunning, picking the TGR X-class I failed to remember.

A little googling suggests that the TGR X's had 8'3" wheelbase bogies with 3ft diameter wheels. Assuming the model would be 1/24th, that's 104.775mm wheelbase and 38.1mm wheels, which means the Piko BR218 block is closest (98mm wheelbase, basically the right size disc wheels, not sure if the real ones were spoked). If it's to another scale, well then the numbers will be different.

Thanks for your entry Jake, any more for any more?...

Jonathan
g-bits.co.uk

(The Victorian loco looks good by the way, what scale/gauge are you using for the broad gauge stuff?)

Australia's obsession with classing locomotives with letters can certainly be a downfall thats for sure! Unfortunately I don't think there's enough black paint in the world to accurately model the oil slicks produced by the Metropolitan Vickers X classes. The EE's share their prodigious abilities for making smoke however.

Thats correct. the full size ones have spoked wheels but they're so hard to see behind those big plate frame bogies its not a problem. the slightly shorter wheelbase should help it get around tight curves that we get in G scale as well.

The VR loco is actually a model of Fyansford cement railways D1 which was 3' 6" gauge (it was sold later to the VR and gauge converted to broad gauge as T413). ill be quite honest though I don't really have much of a problem stretching the rules a little to model prototypes in other gauges as long as it was plausible that they could be converted to 3' 6". I have a 1:24 scale model of a VR 153hp Walker Railmotor on the workbench as well which falls into that category .

schienenkönig

I'm a tram enthusiast and have made trams Scale G
4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
I hope, that I understood the competition right. I'll try it with this one. It is a nearby project. I'm working on it, when like today the paint from an other model has to dry.
I am converting a Lgb train. It should be a work tram. It still exist in the old livery. But I will do it in a state when it runs in Düsseldorf. Rheinbahn 100-
In that times in looked like this one. So I got it from eBay. Very dirty and srachted. Motor is not running.100-1.jpg100-2.jpg
100-3.jpg100-4.jpg

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
In my Austrian narrow gauge phase, I always fancied building one of the first diesel locos, 2093-01

209301_pfaffenschlag.jpg

Basically a box on wheels, with Bo-Bo wheel arrangement, it was one of the first diesel-electric locos, built in 1930 and scrapped in 1991. Only one of the class was ever built.

I found a scale drawing on the web:

IMG_20200426_164256.jpg

And from this I made some 1:22.5 scale drawings:

2093.jpg

I had adjusted the wheel arrangement to fit the chassis of an LGB V100 diesel I had at the time.

There is a model of this in HOe from Halling.

I don't suppose I will ever get around to it so I'm not after winning the competition, but it might give an idea to someone else.

g-bits

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Best answers
Ooh, more.

Obviously there aren't any LGB blocks in the list, but I think one of the 3inch HLW blocks is probably the closest fit for rebuilding Peter's steeplecab. Probably with plenty of butchery to make it fit.

The OBB 2093 is another one I'd forgotten. Pity it survived so late only to get scrapped, but I've got a feeling it suffered (or had inflicted on it) a massive fire that basically made even the bodyshell beyond restoration. Would be a nice quick project though, all flat sides and rivets.

I found more drawings...
(source Die Eisenbahnen in Österreich: 2093 )

860mm wheels at 1900mm centres..

Assuming the model was 1/22.5 - you could argue that one any way you wanted given LGB's rubber ruler - the smaller USAtrains block is less than 0.5mm short at 84mm, but the wheels are very small, in 1/22.5 they need to be 38mm. It's possible to fit larger wheels to that block, and easier to do than the 94.5mm version, but even then is somewhat of a pain in the wallet. Making the bogie sideframes would be 'fun' though.

(You could shorten a Piko BR218 block, which already had the right size wheels, but I think that'd be even more work. The HLW 3inch blocks also have the right size wheels, but definitely wouldn't be easy to stretch out to 84mm.)

Jonathan
g-bits.co.uk

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Having decided my Line is not really narrow gauge looking and having made new wagons with mainline double buffers, then i now needs a Loco to suit, so mine will be a GWR 13** Class, first image below shows a Piko block overlaid on a overall side view to get an idea on how well it would fit. At the moment its based on the Piko block as it is a 0-6-0- Loco

My GWR.jpg

next image shows a very basic model of it, still a lot of work to do on it yet. It will be as much as possible 3D printed

GWR 57XX.jpg

My new 3D printed wagons now running on my line, defiantly need a British G scale Loco to pull them so time to make one.

wagons.jpg

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for your thoughts on the 2093 model Jonathan! Sounds like you would like to build one.

In a similar vein (another box on wheels) I also considered the Bo-Bo diesels on the Zillertalbahn, D13 and D14.
Not whizzy-cranks, these are fairly modern locos from Gemeinder. They were used for freight when Zillertalbahn still had freight traffic (mostly timber), but nowadays are used as the power for push-pull passenger services.

Zillertalbahn_D13_Jenbach_2010.jpg

I was pulled by this one on my trip to the Zillertalbahn a few years back.

Lilliput do an HOe model.

I found a scale drawing on the Internet:

IMG_20200426_164425.jpg

It was going to be too long for my R1 radius layout, about the same size as an LGB RhB Ge 4/4, so I tried to squeeze it down to about 450mm long with almost comical effects as shown in my attempt at a 1:22.5 scale drawing:

ziller.jpg

Needless to say it never got built and probably never will. But it might inspire another Austrian NG fan.