Vehicle Design Competition Entries

g-bits

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Best answers
Didn't they indeed! :) Ahh well let's see how far I get.

Do you have any recommendations for getting bogies and or bogie sides which would look prototypical, so far mark 1 and the like aren't ideal.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything that really looks like BR sprinter bogie. It also depends were you're going dimension-wise - the model is 12mm/ft (3xOO) or 1/25.4 which in my view is about right for rubber-sclae stuff to mix with LGB/Playmobil/Piko/USoutline etc. You can argue for anything between about 11.5mm/ft and 12mm/ft.

Is that just giving you your cross-section or length as well - ie are you building the vehicle more-or-less full length or shortening it? The mock-up is obviously short, but could well be half a vehicle, so I don't want to guess.

If you were running 10mm/ft, then the real thing is 2600mm wheelbase, round number metric (approximate) equivalent to 8'6", so the 84mm wheelbase USAt trains block is as close as gets ready-to-run. Wheels are a bit small, that's fixable for a price, but there are no sideframes that look even close to right, so you're going to be scratchbuilding those.

In 12mm/ft, that 2600 scales out as about 102mm. Nothing is bang-on, but the Piko Taurus/Br218 size block is close at 98mm. None of the Piko sideframes is really a good match for the 153, but the one of the taurus isn't too far off at a pinch I suppose. Here's a photo of the real thing :
To my mind it's still not that close, and obviously a loco sideframe, but that's personal choice. If that's no good, then you're into scratchbuilding.

The reason why I asked about vehicle length is that if you're doing a 12mm/foot cross section but shortened vehicle (the real thing is 22640mm over the cab faces, which would be just over 890mm in 12mm/ft), then there's some argument for following LGB's patented rubber ruler method - reduce the length to approx 75-85% of what you'd expect from the cross-section by losing a window/grill here and there and shortening all the others. Assume the passenger/drivers don't need much leg-room and fit bogies that are shorter than scale, but fitted with something closer to 'scale' size wheels. If you chop the thing down to the size of Piko's TEE coaches - 670mm - then it's basically 3/4 length. In than case I might be inclined to go with something like the HLW 3-inch block, though you'd still be up for scratchbuilding some sideframes. The 'standard' LGB diesel B-B block has similar dimensions, but it's generally more expensive, and I can't think of it having any suitable sideframes, so my choice would be the HLW.

No actual answer to the question asked, but I hope some of that is helpful.

Jonathan
g-bits.co.uk

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Ditto.. :)

I suppose now, we all need to start build-threads, and get on with it! :sweating::sweating:;)

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
Thanks everybody, very pleased and very surpised to have won. There were some really interesting ideas posted in here, hopefully we'll see a few of them build regardless of the result :)

The pressure is on now I suppose, I'll have to step up my usual relaxed attitudes to building schedules as not to keep everyone waiting to see the reulst.

Thanks again for running the competition Jonathan, I hope you'll be pleased with the end result.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, congratulations Ricky! :clap:

schienenkönig

I'm a tram enthusiast and have made trams Scale G
4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
Also from Wuppertal congratiulations, Ricky.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Congratulations Ricki, and we'll done to Jonathan for coming up with an great ennui prevention scheme:clap::clap::clap:

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Annnd the winner is . . .

Musket the Dog, a.k.a. Ricky with the locomotive Fire Queen. An HLW block and some useful-looking wheels will be wending their way to him post bank holiday.

At a late stage I did seek assistance in judging from a number of small children of my acquaintance (though I still retained the casting vote). As a result of their determinations, OBB 2093.01 (proposed by idlemarvel) was selected for special commendation. More interested in modelling pre-war diesel electrics than you might think, these five year olds.

I won't post a photo of the prize - it'll be more interesting to look at once it's arrived with Ricky started to sprout a boiler and other appurtenances.

Jonathan
g-bits.co.uk
Did you say appurtenances? How rude. :)
Thank you to you for running the competition and to your discerning judges for selecting my entry for special commendation, or should that be condemnation. It was a great idea of yours, thanks again.

alasdair555

Registered
7 May 2020
UK
Best answers
Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything that really looks like BR sprinter bogie. It also depends were you're going dimension-wise - the model is 12mm/ft (3xOO) or 1/25.4 which in my view is about right for rubber-sclae stuff to mix with LGB/Playmobil/Piko/USoutline etc. You can argue for anything between about 11.5mm/ft and 12mm/ft.

Is that just giving you your cross-section or length as well - ie are you building the vehicle more-or-less full length or shortening it? The mock-up is obviously short, but could well be half a vehicle, so I don't want to guess.

If you were running 10mm/ft, then the real thing is 2600mm wheelbase, round number metric (approximate) equivalent to 8'6", so the 84mm wheelbase USAt trains block is as close as gets ready-to-run. Wheels are a bit small, that's fixable for a price, but there are no sideframes that look even close to right, so you're going to be scratchbuilding those.

In 12mm/ft, that 2600 scales out as about 102mm. Nothing is bang-on, but the Piko Taurus/Br218 size block is close at 98mm. None of the Piko sideframes is really a good match for the 153, but the one of the taurus isn't too far off at a pinch I suppose. Here's a photo of the real thing :
To my mind it's still not that close, and obviously a loco sideframe, but that's personal choice. If that's no good, then you're into scratchbuilding.

The reason why I asked about vehicle length is that if you're doing a 12mm/foot cross section but shortened vehicle (the real thing is 22640mm over the cab faces, which would be just over 890mm in 12mm/ft), then there's some argument for following LGB's patented rubber ruler method - reduce the length to approx 75-85% of what you'd expect from the cross-section by losing a window/grill here and there and shortening all the others. Assume the passenger/drivers don't need much leg-room and fit bogies that are shorter than scale, but fitted with something closer to 'scale' size wheels. If you chop the thing down to the size of Piko's TEE coaches - 670mm - then it's basically 3/4 length. In than case I might be inclined to go with something like the HLW 3-inch block, though you'd still be up for scratchbuilding some sideframes. The 'standard' LGB diesel B-B block has similar dimensions, but it's generally more expensive, and I can't think of it having any suitable sideframes, so my choice would be the HLW.

No actual answer to the question asked, but I hope some of that is helpful.

Jonathan
g-bits.co.uk
Hi Jonathan,

That post was very useful actually, although I'll move my response over to the 153 thread so we don't hijack this one!

Thanks,

Alasdair

g-bits

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Best answers
Thanks everyone for entering.

I should add one piece of <stop press> news - I did actually get enough opinions voiced by the young'uns to award 3rd place nearly as commended as the 2093, and this went to Paradise's suggestion of the BR 07 (Salty). Didn't announce this before because contact was still being made. So some more modest assistance will be making its way out the (former) colonies to help in producing the world's first G-scale 07.

Jonathan
g-bits.co.uk

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Congratulations Ricky and thanks for the competition Jonathan...great idea.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound