Using Massoth PowerCaps on Massoth Decoders for Analog Operation

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
A customer wants sound installed into his LGB 2073D DR Steam Locomotive which will operate on his DC Analog layout. I was thinking of installing a Massoth S Sound Decoder which is an easy connection to the track power. But the Massoth Installation and Configuration Manuals indicates that CV29 must be set to deactivate analog power in order to use PowerCaps with the decoder. So, am I understanding the Massoth DCC/DC decoders properly, there's no option to use their PowerCaps when operating a locomotive in analog power? That's strange since Massoth makes, or used to make, the LGB 65000 series Locomotive Sound Modules and you can use the LGB PowerCaps connected to the Sound Module in either digital or analog operating mode.

Thanks

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Tom,
That is certainly the case with their motor decoders. - If analogue is 'on' in CV29, then a loco fitted with power caps will take-off like a scalded cat, under an emergency stop, or the power being turned off.
I am a little surprised that they have not addressed this problem?

I think I would try it, and see?
But with the expectation you may well have to remove the power cap.

PhilP.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
There is an option with the Massoth power caps to install with a control lead that enables you to program the decoder without having to use a physical switch to disconnect the power cap. In other words a software switch. I don't know if that will help with the Analog situation.

I also remember a note in the Massoth S decoder installation manual that says you can't use it with power caps. I think that may depend on how the S decoder is connected (directly to track power, track power from existing LGB circuit board, or SUSI).
EDIT: The restriction of power caps with S decoder only applies if you connect via SUSI. No problem if you use the power cap with the motor decoder.

Last edited:

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
There is an option with the Massoth power caps to install with a control lead that enables you to program the decoder without having to use a physical switch to disconnect the power cap. In other words a software switch. I don't know if that will help with the Analog situation.

I also remember a note in the Massoth S decoder installation manual that says you can't use it with power caps. I think that may depend on how the S decoder is connected (directly to track power, track power from existing LGB circuit board, or SUSI).
EDIT: The restriction of power caps with S decoder only applies if you connect via SUSI. No problem if you use the power cap with the motor decoder.
Dave & PhilP - Thanks for your responses. It's good to know that I could use the PowerCaps on the S Decoder when it's connected directly to track power. The S Decoder installation I'm doing is for a hobbyist who only operates in DC Analog power. When DCC sound decoders are operated in Analog, they certainly work better when PowerCaps are installed. Since I thought I couldn't use the PowerCaps with the S Decoder, I have already switched my approach to use an LGB 65000 Euro Steam Sound Module with the associated LGB PowerCaps. I remove the decoder from its black case, unsolder the speaker wires, and soldered a small rectangle 2 W 8 Ohm Speaker that fits nicely into the back of the firebox. I'm also going to install a reed switch but not sure where I'm going to place it...........certainly not inside the existing clam shell motor block. There's a small recess in the back of the motor block that looks promising.