Using an XLS on analog? Other's experiences?

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
Near Llangollen, United Kingdom
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi guys - I'm in need of some help!

I've just bought a Massoth XLS and Visaton FRS7 speaker setup for my big diesel kit, I ended up plumping for the V51/V52 sounds.
Tonight I have connected it up to my DCC system I used to use on the 00 layout and tweaked a few CVs (volume reduced, and I've also set it to 28 speed steps). The sound works fine on Digital.

However, I then connected it up to my 00 analog controller - now I know this is only 0-12V, rather than 20, but I wanted to see what sounds you got in analog mode...

It kicks in fine with the engine starting up, and then the horn goes, but then before the revs start to rise you get a spot on the controller where the sound distorts and surges (on slow down in the same place too)...

So my question is, does anyone else use DCC sound on an analog layout? What are your experiences?
Right now, I'm distinctly underwhelmed - and am contemplating selling the chip and speaker straight on :(
It's a LOT of money, a lot more than in 00, and my experience this evening has really dampened my enthusiasm for it.

So - some useful tips, encouragement, and findings using an analog system would be great!

Thanks chaps :)

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
I've got an XLS in my Lil Critter James and it worked really well on Chris Ms network which is analogue.
Maybe the voltage isn't enough to run the decoder properly.
Just a thought,have you got a motor connected to the chip as they do funny things without motor feedback?

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I use XLS cards on analogue and they are excellent. I think perhaps the amperage of the OO scale controller is not enough at the higher voltage and the card has not enough juice for its own use as well as the sound amplifier.

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Colin, Mike - thank you so much for taking the time to reply, I really was feeling pretty low about the whole affair, which is ridiculous, it's only model trains!

Anyway, I have not got a motor connected yet, and I had pondered whether that might be partly to blame! I just wanted to check the sound was working before I got to carried away wiring it up - which I will need to do, as I need to work out which lights are the front (remember this thing has a long hood at the front normally).

I haven't got my Helmsman in Macclesfield, otherwise I'd try that tomorrow.
Thanks for your help and advice, and words of re-assurance chaps :) I feel a bit more positive about persevering with it now :)

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Best answers
shropshire lad said:
on Chris Ms network .

I knew I'd get you talking Propper lingo sooner or later.

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
Best answers
Country flag
James,
here's my V51 fitted with an xls chip running on analogue, strangely the chip is programmed with BR 218 sounds but it sounds ok so I have left it as it is...........:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV9p7aLVi9E

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Think it's a combination of things James.

Put a motor on it and then try it on 18volt or more.
I certainly have had no problems on analogue layouts

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks everyone - the good thing is I know it works, and the speaker is incredible - a really good recommendation. I've got the volume tweaked right down to 15 (out of 64) as it was just deafening when I was trying it out in the study last night!

I shall perservere with the wiring (not my strong point), currently wiring up the 6 LEDs and resistors for the lighting. I'll then prime and paint the chassis I think, so I can wire it all up and test it properly.

I might be asking for some more help in the future if I have any problems :)

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Hi James, just another thought - something that I didn't think of till you mentioned the volume (those Visaton speakers are bl**dy good, aren't they?) - as you are currently going to be running on analogue, are you using a manual volume control potentiometer connected to the XLS?

Jon.

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Not at the price of a Massoth one Jon, I've got my Bachmann Dynamis controller that can write CV values to adjust it that way, just means doing it inside as the infra red controller connection doesn't work outside!