USA trains versus LGB point motors

Chris Wright

Rev-Up
7 Jun 2016
Cumbria, penrith
Best answers
I have looked through the forum to no avail.

I am torn between USA Trains or LGB point motors. I cannot find anywhere whether either or both are two wire or three? Can anyone help please as I have DCC control box for eight turnouts that works only on two wire (previous use was Bachmann E-Z HO turnouts that are two wire like Kato ones as well) so obvioysly I wish to use that rather than buy one that copes with three wire. Help from members here is always appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
All modern LGB point motors are two-wire - it was only the very earliest ones back in the 60s and 70s that used a three-wire system.

Jon.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I use NCE SwitchKat decoders (designed for Kato points) with my LGB 2-wire point motors, they work perfectly together.

Must admit I'm struggling to find much info about the USA Trains switch machine nor obvious sources of these as separate items. I have seen a few general comments that they're not as good as the LGB items, and given that LGB or Piko are much more readily available in the UK I'd say go for these.

Last edited:

Beddhist

Motorcycle travel, trains
16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag
Here are some pix from my sole USAT switch:

IMG_3707.jpg

There are 4 connectors in that plug. One or two of these will be for the red/green signal, as well as for the feedback of the position. You can see where the plug goes in the switch:

IMG_3706.jpg

I assume the short cable is for power. I have never actually used this switch; it goes nowhere at present.

Last edited:

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
A little more info and pix on Greg's site.

Interesting information from Greg's site. I am finding that the few Piko point motors I have are failing. Even the rubber gaskets, meant to prevent water infiltration at the plunger, are failing. I have not had these problems with LGB point motors.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Have to say that the Live Frog and Insulation on the USAT Switches look like they will be pretty good for DCC. I do not use Electric Motors preferring my Air System, with an added Micro Switch for Polarity Change I reckon they would be the bees knees.
JonD