USA Trains Reefers

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Just received my first ever USA Trains product. I bought three billboard reefers from Ebay sellers at decent prices. The first arrived today "New In Box" and appears to be missing some parts (ladder rungs & brake wheels). The bottom corner step s went in relatively easily. However the brakeman's platform and brake wheel rod were a real pain to install. Broke insert pins while doing so.

I must say, however, that these cars are beautiful. I wanted to add some American rolling stock and these looked like the best bet. Their shorter length and older look fits my needs well.

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
Yep there are lovely models, and the amount of liveries available is fantastic, are you aware that they do both and inside and outside braced reefer?

The only downside is that once you have a few you always want more!

Fancy posting up some pictures when you get a chance?

Dan

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
I only have a couple of USA Trains reefers but I am very pleased with them. They are well detailed and smooth runners; unlike my Aristo cars, some of which wobble.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
All three reefers are now on the roster of the Wicked Short Line Railway. Here is a short video of some running today. The passer combine is also a USA Trains product.

https://youtu.be/LLJ_XIW4Qr8

Just curious, is there a size difference between USA woodside reefers and the same type car in LGB ?

avant

I'm New, Please Be Gentle
6 Aug 2015
Best answers
Scale differences between LGB and USA, short answer, yes... LGB is typically 1:22.5 whereas USA follows the 1/29 scale. Interestingly, Accucraft can be found in 1/20.3, 1/29 and 1/32 ... MTS is 1/32 from what I have read 1/32 is the correct scale for our track. But I prefer the 1/29 scale for just the way it looks I started buying before I knew the differences... Aristocraft is mostly 1/29 but there is 1/20.3 product out there... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G_scale

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yebbut, one of the reasons that some US manufacturers went to 1:29 instead of the more accurate 1:32, was that a standard gauge car in 1:29 comes out similar in physical model dimensions to a narrow gauge car in 1:22.5.

So you can run them together and they look OK.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Yebbut, one of the reasons that some US manufacturers went to 1:29 instead of the more accurate 1:32, was that a standard gauge car in 1:29 comes out similar in physical model dimensions to a narrow gauge car in 1:22.5.

So you can run them together and they look OK.

That is how i understand the situation too Rhino. Another bit of the G rubber ruler - made to look good, and most of the time it really does.:)