Ultra low cost home made drive system

Melbournesparks

Registered
30 Sep 2015
City of Eltham
Best answers
Country flag
could this method theorectily be used to make a motorblock for a 2-8-2 or 2-8-8-0 locomotive?

Sorry for the late reply. Theoretically it could be adapted to pretty much any rollingstock, though the specifics of which axle and wheel diameters you use would affect the design. I suspect that for a large heavy duty locomotive like a 2-8-2 you'd be better of using a single large motor and worm gear reduction rather than a lot of small ones, especially if you have less of a space limitation because of wheel diameter or the need to fit them into bogies.

The original units fitted to the Ballarat tram in 2016 are still in service and have covered many real kilometres since. In the endless quest to make these cheap and quick to assemble though I have since developed a 3D printed gearbox case with a double reduction.

237057284_1959636074204713_4050502338711888873_n.jpg
236918711_840897396797638_6530916830060672660_n.jpg

This version uses a smaller motor and gear diameter making it suitable for slightly smaller 28mm wheels. So far the test installation has been promising.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
One other comment on heavy locos, a spur drive system, while it increases realism because it coasts to a stop naturally, if you stop a loco on a grade, it can run away by itself. There are a few locos like this (using a different drive, but the same situation) and you cannot stop a train on a steep grade, it will roll away.

Again, just for heavy locos and steep grades.

Greg

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry for the late reply. Theoretically it could be adapted to pretty much any rollingstock, though the specifics of which axle and wheel diameters you use would affect the design. I suspect that for a large heavy duty locomotive like a 2-8-2 you'd be better of using a single large motor and worm gear reduction rather than a lot of small ones, especially if you have less of a space limitation because of wheel diameter or the need to fit them into bogies.

The original units fitted to the Ballarat tram in 2016 are still in service and have covered many real kilometres since. In the endless quest to make these cheap and quick to assemble though I have since developed a 3D printed gearbox case with a double reduction.

View attachment 294965
View attachment 294966

This version uses a smaller motor and gear diameter making it suitable for slightly smaller 28mm wheels. So far the test installation has been promising.
When you have developed this to the point that you are happy with the performance, are you considering selling the part or posting the 3D file? I have an old Bachmann trolley that needs a new drive train.

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
could this method theorectily be used to make a motorblock for a 2-8-2 or 2-8-8-0 locomotive?
I think so, with this method.
With the dc motors i use it can for sure.

So far the second experiment of my AA20 was running happy for a total of 10-11 hours on 4 dc motors, with side rods.
The frame was lifted on some wooden blocks on the bench.
Incl 2-3 hours back and forward on my test track.
But as Greg Elmassian Greg Elmassian pointed out the side rods could and will tight/loosen up a screw to much.
I solved this by using m3 threaded rods to connect the driving rods to the wheels with a 1mm/0.04 clearance between the nuts.
This seems to work very well, sorry i did not have time to update nor build "AA20 driving experiment 4" or build a jig with bearings so it can run for several hours at full speed.

With best regards Igor

Reactions: 1 user

Melbournesparks

Registered
30 Sep 2015
City of Eltham
Best answers
Country flag
When you have developed this to the point that you are happy with the performance, are you considering selling the part or posting the 3D file? I have an old Bachmann trolley that needs a new drive train.

The file is now up on thingiverse, see main thread here: 3D printable traction motor case

The prototype units have been powering a bachmann tram for a while now with good results, so they are certainly suitable for that purpose.