UK source for custom/made to order vinyl or dry print lettering

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
I am looking for a UK source for small run/size bespoke self adhesive vinyl or dry print lettering/numerals suitable for 1:20.3 scale use. They must be able to produce in white. Smallest character height would be 5mm but mostly a little larger at 8 - 25 mm. Can anybody suggest a reliable supplier they have used here in the UK please ? Waterslide decal types will not be suitable for my application.

Use of proprietary products, like Woodland Scenics, dry print sheets (I have a stock of those :)) will be prohibitive in terms of cost (not enough of the same letters and numbers on a sheet :D) and for some of the larger point sizes I employ on my stock. I do appreciate these service don't come cheap. Thanks in anticipation. Max

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I am looking for a UK source for small run/size bespoke self adhesive vinyl or dry print lettering/numerals suitable for 1:20.3 scale use. They must be able to produce in white. Smallest character height would be 5mm but mostly a little larger at 8 - 25 mm. Can anybody suggest a reliable supplier they have used here in the UK please ? Waterslide decal types will not be suitable for my application.

Use of proprietary products, like Woodland Scenics, dry print sheets (I have a stock of those :)) will be prohibitive in terms of cost (not enough of the same letters and numbers on a sheet :D) and for some of the larger point sizes I employ on my stock. I do appreciate these service don't come cheap. Thanks in anticipation. Max
Would any of these be any good Max?

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Would any of these be any good Max?
Sorry Jon no I use BECC for some projects but not for some mor complex jobs with a number of sets with a lot of letter/numeral repetition and precise spacing and alignment. I think you can see why these would be not viable . I should have added generic sheet sets of any type will not be suitable for the reasons stated. I am looking for a bespoke service that can produce complete finished names/numeral sets to order. Max

Edit - I have amended thread title to reinforce the need for a made to order product

Last edited:

Tanker man

G scale and 5 inch ride on
10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
Max
i had some vinyl letters printed for my darj coaches, a couple of years ago, from a Worksop that makes signs for vans and cars. It was a small concern, sadly gone now, but they even managed to print the Indian letters, a couple of double sets cost me £20.00, which I though was quite good.
research ‘van signs’ in your area, worth a try
Dave

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Max, I understand you are looking for a 'made to order' solution, but here in the US there is a lot of interest in the home vinyl cutters. Take a look here:
Large Scale Central - Advanced Forum Detail Topic - Some lettering work with a vinyl cutter

Given that you have to tell the source/seller what you want, it seems possible you might be doing the artwork, in which case just send it to your cutter!

Fred thanks for the link but I am looking for a supplier who can design and print from a simple brief. They are out there but I cannot locate any by Googling. I have no intention ever of doing any of the work myself and my minimal needs would not justifying getting an app, upskilling and buying a printer. Just the odd job made to order. I have used a supplier in the US in the past but I really need one nearer to home, the UK, and with the option to get things made in dry print not just vinyl (but not waterslide). I expect it will need two different suppliers. Max

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
get things made in dry print
OK then. For my EBT coaches, I used dry transfers from the guys who supply the F.E.B.T. shop. They are in Canada which might make it easier and cheaper than the US. Good service - when they printed one page slightly off-color, it was re-printed (free) with no arguments.

AllOut-Graphics
Manfred and Jocelyn Schleger
1195 Esquimalt Avenue
West Vancouver, BC
CANADA V7T 1K2
Tel 001 604 922 2392
toll free (North America only)1 877 922 2392
http://www.allout-graphics.com

Here's my orange EBT lettered coach:

IMG_1270.jpg

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
OK then. For my EBT coaches, I used dry transfers from the guys who supply the F.E.B.T. shop. They are in Canada which might make it easier and cheaper than the US. Good service - when they printed one page slightly off-color, it was re-printed (free) with no arguments.

AllOut-Graphics
Manfred and Jocelyn Schleger
1195 Esquimalt Avenue
West Vancouver, BC
CANADA V7T 1K2
Tel 001 604 922 2392
toll free (North America only)1 877 922 2392
http://www.allout-graphics.com

Here's my orange EBT lettered coach:

View attachment 289614

That's very interesting as it is dry print. Thanks for that. I'll bookmark the URL you have provided. I note that they seem to need the design supplied but can do it at a price.

I used to get dry print done by a guy in the UK some 15 years ago, but he stopped. I would send him stuff that I had created for my model racecar kit range by using what was available in MS publisher and the odd downloadable font. I used it to prototype decals/liveries/lining before sending off to my waterslide supplier to produce 300 off 4 colour process runs. Carrier and lacquer coats matching the area of individual decals, no trimming required. And if you were very careful you could remove the lacquer coat so they looked like they had been tampo printed. They made decals for full sized historic race cars so had most stuff I needed off the shelf. Max

Last edited:

Homo Habilis

Registered
16 Apr 2016
USA
Best answers
Country flag
You might check with G Scale Graphics in the US. I can't imagine that postage from the US would be prohibitive.

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
You might check with G Scale Graphics in the US. I can't imagine that postage from the US would be prohibitive.
Very familiar with G Scale graphics. Used them a few times over the years. Really looking for something closer to home, GB, and/or offers dry print as an alternative to vinyls. Max

polaroyd

Registered
25 Oct 2011
South East England
Best answers
Country flag
Very familiar with G Scale graphics. Used them a few times over the years. Really looking for something closer to home, GB, and/or offers dry print as an alternative to vinyls. Max
The 4D model shop (modelshop.co.uk) do bespoke vinyl and dry transfers but they're not cheap.

darkdaniel100

Registered
27 Oct 2009
Colchester
Best answers
Country flag
drop SteamPrints a message Steam Prints – Steam Prints with what you are after - normally specilise on Road Steam clothing/merchandise, all orders are bespoke and customised so will happily consider 'one offs' .