Uhlenbrock intelliSound 4 version 32510

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Loaded the basic sounds on it I wanted, tested on PC / adapter and sounds and works as it should, plugged into a Massoth eMotion XL via the SUSI port set on track and it when the engine moved it went chuff chuff chuff....... then released its magic smoke :( I have one of these in another LGB loco all I did with that was the same plugged it into the SUSI port on a Emotion L connected a speaker and off it went. I do have another card but don't quite want to follow the same procedure to release the Magic smoke from another one, have I missed something ?

Sound disaster.jpg

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
The "U" the Massoth is still OK or seems to be, the loco still runs fine.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Just checking:
1. What are the red and black wires connected to? - Loudspeaker, I would presume??
2.What is the value of CV 49? - It should be (at least) '16' to set the connector to SUSI bus 'on'.

PhilP.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi yes red and Black to speaker, no lights or anything else connected . CV 49 is 18 , but the sound card did make sounds when the Loco first moved. and I haven't changed that CV , I do have the same sound chip in another loco and I never changed CV 49 in that one so going to read that one now to see what it is. Other Loco says its on 16

Last edited:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Sid,
Interesting the value is set in both the loco's:
Bit 1 (decimal 2) is digital load control, so not relevant to SUSI.
Bit 4 (decimal 16) switches the bus between Massoth and SUSI, needing to be 'on' for SUSI, hence my saying the value of CV 49 should be (at least) '16' decimal.

You may have been lucky with the one that is working, or unlucky with the one(s) that have failed?

The only references I can see to a specification of supply voltage, are in the manual, where it refers to connecting to '+20V' on the decoder..
'20V' is also referenced on the diagram for connecting a power buffer.

I wonder if the Massoth track voltage means the supplied voltage is too high for these decoders? :wondering:

PhilP.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
It was defiantly a hot little chip when I touched it to unplug it :) but the same chip in my other Loco is running fine I added that one about a year ago now, and all seems OK, on here someone else has used these chips as sound modules , I guessed that the supplied voltage through the SUSI port would be correct for them is it not a standard ?, not a sparky so just guessing there.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I guessed that the supplied voltage through the SUSI port would be correct for them is it not a standard ?, not a sparky so just guessing there.

Well...........
Yes, and no.. - There is a standard, but 'someone' will have read it, and then acted on what they believe it said..

This may not be what the person(s) who wrote the standard intended it to say / be interpreted-as.. :wondering:

With the size (or rather lack-of) surface-mount components, their tolerance of above-specification voltages etc. is very limited..
The Massoth board (and specifications) mark 'Decoder +ve.' as '+24V'. - I do not know what Massoth give out as power, on their SUSI connector.

That 4V. is 20% above the only figure I have found for the Ulenbrock device.

Of course, it could just be a dodgy batch of decoders / components-used.
I am reading quite a bit into the only information I have to go on.. :nerd::wondering::think:

PhilP.

Reactions: 1 user

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Been reading SUSI specs which says the modules are connected with 4 wires:
- Ground
DATA
CLOCK
+ Rectified, Unregulated (Track) Power

So I assume the Massoth complies and in my case can give out +24v as that is what is in my rails, I found the ditez SUSI specifications which start to comply it handles full track voltage but doesn't state what that voltage is. Can not find the Uhlenbrock SUSI specs as such , but again I assume its designed to run at full track voltage to comply to the standards but , like you I can not find what thier quoted track voltage can be.

I bought the programmer module, as at £40 a pop per Sound module this was going to be a cost effective way of retro fitting locs with the sounds I want, not quite so sure now :(

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
"Rectified, UNREGULATED, track power" Hummm... :wondering:

So.......
24V from your Massoth x1.4 (full-wave rectifier) gives 33.6V stuffed into your 'ickle' sound decoder.. :wondering:

I am guessing it would be fine, on a 19V DCC system? (O gauge, or from my Digitrax CS). - Difficult to tell, but I am doubting the Uhlenbrock is built with 35V components?

It would be 'interesting' to see what your Dealer (or Uhlenbrock) have to say on the subject? - One decoder can be bad-luck.. Two, is the beginning of a trend.. :(

I am pretty certain you can set the output (track) voltage on the Massoth CS? - You could try reducing the track voltage, and see if you notice much difference to your operations / top-speed?

**You would need to be aware, if you took your loco(s) to another railway, you may find their system would be set too high for your models with these sound decoders??** :nerd::think:

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I don't have a Massoth set up it's an LGB MTS III powered by a 24v power pack and a Massoth navigator ,so stuck with 24v. I have only blown one chip the other is still in its box till I know its safe to connect it to anything :)

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
still in its box till I know its safe to connect it to anything

DON'T connect it..

I have been talking to someone who is using these chips.. W-A-Y too much voltage from G-scale kit.. Sorry! :(

PhilP.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
If it dosn't work with G scale how come my other Loco which has the same chip has run for a year now ? no questioning not connecting the other chip or it doesn't work with G scale, it just doesn't make sense why one works and the next didn't if they are SUSI compliant.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
If it dosn't work with G scale how come my other Loco which has the same chip has run for a year now ? no questioning not connecting the other chip or it doesn't work with G scale, it just doesn't make sense why one works and the next didn't if they are SUSI compliant.

Glib answer:
Majic and elektrickery..

More scientific answer:
Could be the older loco is giving out less voltage to the SUSI connector. Different batch of components on the Uhlenbrock.

The Uhlenbrock would be a lot happier with a 12V supply..
If I wanted to use them in this situation, I would break the power-wires in the SUSI lead, and put a 'buck' regulator in the way..

Something like this:

Obviously, you can get these (or similar) cheaper from China..

PhilP.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I still use an IS3 and did have an IS4 connected to a Massoth XL SUSI port with no problems. PIKO used to rebadge these as their sound modules for their G scale kit so there is no question that it should work.

They are no doubt one of the cheapest ways of adding sound but I find them hard to program with my Lenz kit so I have stopped using them and use integrated sound decoders or add an S decoder instead. More expensive but easier to manage for me.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
That's one vote for working and one against, waiting for a reply from where I bought them from in Germany, if that fails I will try an email to Uhlenbrock and ask thier opinion as well, worth a shot.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
C Cliff George is a big user of these, Cliff if you're still listening would you mind chipping in (hah). I must admit I thought that the SUSI interface isolated you from any track voltages.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Got a short reply from Uhlenbrock to my email, they say it should work.

Massoth eMotion XL is with SUSI, so you can connect the 32510/4 on this decoder.

24V is ok for 32510/4.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Perhaps you have just been unlucky, to get a dodgy one, then?

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Finally got a reply from the seller send the chip back to him, is the next step, so no doubt I will probably be more out of pocket as postage to Germany will be at my cost.